Is it wrong to be upset with RUSH for not making a new album

Rush1978

To be honest, I really couldn't give a f**k...IMO they haven't released anything truly worthy of the brand since 1987, and there's tons of other good music out there.

You must be kidding :moon:

Every RUSH album is equal and awesome

So you think there's no difference in quality between Moving Pictures and Test For Echo or Presto? You're free to hold that opinion, of course, but to me all that really does is denigrate Moving Pictures. It's OK to say you're a Rush fan but you prefer some albums to others.

Why do you hate whimsical wordplay set to throwaway music and recorded in a quonset hut with two tin cans and a string?

I mean, besides the obvious reasons.

There are others? Huh.

• Like 2

I thought a studio album, a goodbye like 'Abbey Road".

It's hard for me to believe Geddy and Lifesong wouldn't be interested in a project some day. The woods are filled with 60-80 year old rockstars still producing.

They did. Clockwork Angels is better than any album they released since at least 1984. Maybe even 1982.

No. With all due respect it isn't.

An Abbey Road type album is one on which there are no duds and one never tires of listening to...Clockwork Angels is not that album. Permanent Waves fits that bill way more, even if it isn't a goodbye album.

i don't like CA pretty much at all

Mick

• Like 1

To be honest, I really couldn't give a f**k...IMO they haven't released anything truly worthy of the brand since 1987, and there's tons of other good music out there.

Nope, I'm deadly serious

It's plainly you that "must be kidding"

Sorry you feel that way,

Are there songs that you consider better than any Rush song?

No

Im a hardcore RUSH fan and i always have been

Always will be. I do love lots of other bands but Rush is my life

Nope, I'm deadly serious

Sorry you feel that way,

Why?......I'm certainly not.

Just messing with you man

I dont mind that you dont love every RUSH song

I just happen to love them all. Even Mystic rhythms :zzz:

Nope, I'm deadly serious

Sorry you feel that way,

Are there songs that you consider better than any Rush song?

No

Im a hardcore RUSH fan and i always have been

Always will be. I do love lots of other bands but Rush is my life

So every Rush song is better than any song from any other group?

I guess it's possible so let's try this. When you want to listen to Rush, how do you pick what you want to listen to?

It's hard for me to believe Geddy and Lifesong wouldn't be interested in a project some day. The woods are filled with 60-80 year old rockstars still producing.

They did. Clockwork Angels is better than any album they released since at least 1984. Maybe even 1982.

An Abbey Road type album is one on which there are no duds and one never tires of listening to...Clockwork Angels is not that album. Permanent Waves fits that bill way more, even if it isn't a goodbye album.

Mick

You dont like clockwork angles. ? WHAT !!

No offense but why dont you join a forum for bands you actually enjoy

Ive heard you bad mouth RUSH 10 times since i joined this site 4 days ago

Clockwork Angles is a masterpiece --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wztuqskio8

Mick

Clockwork Angles is a masterpiece --- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wztuqskio8

Why would someone join a forum where everyone's opinion was the same?

• Like 3

Mick

Clockwork 'Angles' would've been a much better name for it.

Angels are trite and overrated.

• Like 1

Nope, I'm deadly serious

Sorry you feel that way,

Why?......I'm certainly not.

Just messing with you man

I dont mind that you dont love every RUSH song

I just happen to love them all. Even Mystic rhythms :zzz:

Don't know what you're talking about, Mystic Rhythms is awesome!

Best on PW along w/ The Big Money.

And completely unlike that albums other two cringeworthy drivels known as Middletown Dreams and Emotion Detector.

• Like 1

Let me say why i don't enjoy CA

The big Offender is the production. Way to loud and compressed and it sounds like a massive clusterfukk of noise.

Besides. the songs themselves just don't do much.

i like these 3.

Headlong Flight

CA

The Anarchist

the rest range from just ok to downright bad to me.

oh. and it's TO LONG. the album goes on........and on........and on................and on. it DOESN'T STOP. that might not be bad. but it just plods.

3/10

i'm so sorry..............no i'm not.

Awful way to go out.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Neil didn't "give up" on Rush — he decided after 40 years that he didn't want to do a physically grueling job anymore, that involves a ton of travel and being away from his young daughter. I'd be excited if they ever did anything again but if 20 albums in 40 years isn't enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

I agree when Neil said he was done, it was time for HIM to retire.

My frustration with Neil is with the way he handled it...he gave everyone short notice, and he took Geddy and Alex into retirement with him. It now appears there will be no Lee Lifeson "project."

They clearly weren't ready to call it quits at that moment picked by Neil. It would have been nice for Neil to acknowledge that and to publicly encourage his two lifetime co-workers to record together again.

Part of being a Rush fan is accepting the fact that even if Geddy, Alex and Neil are your personal heroes, they're not saints. Nobody's perfect 100% of the time. Personally, I always hated how Neil forced Ged and Al's hands into retirement even though they didn't want to, and to be honest, I'm also a bit disappointed in Geddy for not having a spine. He should have told Neil "Look, you may be done, but I'm not. I still want to perform, I still want to make new music, and whether you want to participate or not is your perogative."

I guess he's just too nice to do that.

You really believe that three guys who have been in a band together for 40 years have not had these conversations with each other? Just because they aren't doing interviews or making public statements about it doesn't mean they haven't talked about all of this stuff. And nobody said that just because Neil wants to retire Geddy and Alex have to, too. They can do whatever they want. Who's to say they won't work together again? The only thing that's clear is if they do do a project together in the future it won't be under the name "Rush." Which is the right thing to do.

To me this comes back to not being able to understand how someone can look at the body of work they've put out — 20 largely great albums over 40 years, plus near-constant touring in that time — and say "no, you know what, that's not enough, I'm mad they aren't going to do more." That's a lot of albums and tours. You'd be hard-pressed to find another band that's kept up this level of quality and consistency for that long a time. I can't think of another one that comes close. Go back and revisit one of their albums you haven't listened to in a while and see if you can discover something new in it.

Or, god forbid, get into other bands. There are lots of them out there!

How could anybody disagree with this?

Neil didn't "give up" on Rush — he decided after 40 years that he didn't want to do a physically grueling job anymore, that involves a ton of travel and being away from his young daughter. I'd be excited if they ever did anything again but if 20 albums in 40 years isn't enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

I agree when Neil said he was done, it was time for HIM to retire.

My frustration with Neil is with the way he handled it...he gave everyone short notice, and he took Geddy and Alex into retirement with him. It now appears there will be no Lee Lifeson "project."

They clearly weren't ready to call it quits at that moment picked by Neil. It would have been nice for Neil to acknowledge that and to publicly encourage his two lifetime co-workers to record together again.

He did? If you watch Time Stand Still, it's pretty clear he only agreed to go back on the road because they told him it was "one last time."

Why does he have to tell them to carry on, as if they need his blessing to do that? When Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler reunited with Ronnie James Dio in 2007, Ozzy was running around saying that only him, Bill Ward, Butler and Iommi are Black Sabbath. He even filed a suit against Iommi to prevent him (the owner of the name) from using it in 2007.

Rush is Lee, Lifeson and Peart. Peart wrote the lyrics to the songs. His drumming is something the band's musicianship aura is built upon. Without him, they aren't Rush, and the fact that he's not on the debut is irrelevant. They didn't save him from a life of obscurity, he worked with them to build a great band.

I've said it a few times. I saw R40. Loved it. The CD is not good. Geddy's voice is really haggard at this point. Alex is not in the best of health. I just turned 50 a few months ago and they weren't kids when I got into them in 1980. Let them move on guys. Listen to their albums and enjoy them. If they want to release more music together or separately they will. If they don't, they don't.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

I Just to keep SOME people HAPPY!!!!!

Rush Albums i enjoy

truly love and enjoy.

Caress of Steel

Side 1 of 2112

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Power Windows

Hold your Fire (my Fav)

Presto

Counterparts

Snakes and Arrows

Good??????? FUKKIN' HAPPY???????

lol

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

Yes, posting a song from the album that someone doesn't like is gonna make them suddenly like it.

Allocate fewer shows to the 7456 CA performances. Save a little juice in the tank for the setlist they never played. Save something for Europe. 20 shows?

How about doing away w/ the entire pointless Time Machine Tour as well? There was really no reason for that tour nor the size of it. They could have saved their physical resources, instead of burning themselves out w/ multiple high capacity tours in a relatively short time span. Fewer shows for CA tour. The R40 tour should've been huge, including Europe dates. They should've gone out w/ a giant bang, instead, because of the way it was done, the uncertainty and the suddenness, they went out w/ a whimper. And that, in a nutshell, is what so many long time fans are so upset about. Not that they retired, god knows they deserved to, but the way they retired. A whimper.

You say it very well. It seems time machine, although I enjoyed it at the time, was crammed in to get a certain performer enough wealth to get to his magic retirement number ASAP.

I don't care what they called each tour, but to finally pull out some long forgotten early classics, finally, then only do 35 shows, ignore Europe...

Maybe the Time Machine Tour was unnecessary, although I'm sure it was a great tour for most everyone involved. Besides, didn't they pull out a few rarer numbers for that one? Maybe it wasn't Jacob's Ladder, but I recall Presto being played for the first time live, and the live version being surprisingly better than the studio version. That's besides the point though. Neil didn't do any tour just to make enough money to retire with. He probably had more than enough money to retire with by the mid-80s. He retired when he wanted to, and in 2010 and 2011 he didn't want to. He wanted to tour and write the lyrics to a concept album and work on it's novelization and make that album with Ged and Al and make it their most vital work since the 80s. By 2015, he was ready to retire, so he did. Why is that hard to understand?

How is Roll The Bones anywhere near equal to Permanent Waves? That's baloney.

• Like 1

I Just to keep SOME people HAPPY!!!!!

Rush Albums i enjoy

truly love and enjoy.

Caress of Steel

Side 1 of 2112

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Power Windows

Hold your Fire (my Fav)

Presto

Counterparts

Snakes and Arrows

Good??????? FUKKIN' HAPPY???????

lol

Mick

I have no right to argue with you

Your a RUSH fan and i respect you

Sorry to be a ass :moon:

Edited by Rush1978

Agreed. Every Rush album is not equal. But, I do agree that every Rush album is awesome!

• Like 2

Mick

Mick is a Rush fan. He does in fact enjoy Rush. I think HYF is one of his favorite albums ever, though I'm not sure. Just because he loves HYF doesn't mean he enjoys FBN, or RTB, or even CA. Mick is one of the most well-spoken members on this forum and I always enjoy reading his posts. He has every right to be here.

• Like 1

Permanent waves is my Favorite Rush album

But so is Roll the bones :pokercards: . I saw Rush and Primus at the Bones Tour

I have to say it was the best RUSH show ive attended

Agreed. Every Rush album is not equal. But, I do agree that every Rush album is awesome!

Well...I'm not sure RTB is awesome...but I'll agree I'd rather listen to most any Rush album than most anything on the radio.

• Like 1

Permanent waves is my Favorite Rush album

But so is Roll the bones :pokercards: . I saw Rush and Primus at the Bones Tour

I have to say it was the best RUSH show ive attended

The quality of the tour says nothing about the quality of the album. You can love all of their albums equally, sure, but keep in mind most people here have very strong opinions about which albums are better than which other ones.

• Like 1

Mick

ok.......you've actually ticked me off. and anybody that knows me here.....as a good many do..... know that's hard to do.

you JUST SAID you've been here four days.

yea.......5 years here. you don't know anything about anything Else i like or don't.

you've seen Negative stuff because you are getting honest answers sir.

if we talk about a Rush album,song/DVD/moment i love you will hear glowing praise.

i LOVE rush......but I WILL not kiss their collective asses.

for you to assume based on FOUR DAMN days what i am like is asinine.

grow up or YOU hit the bricks

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

They are equal to me, I know every lyric and ever beat by heart, I could never pick one album that i had to listen to exclusively

Thats like picking which child i love most

But yes some are Better than others. I guess :crazy:

• Like 1

They are equal to me, I know every lyric and ever beat by heart, I could never pick one album that i had to listen to exclusively

Thats like picking which child i love most

But yes some are Better than others. I guess :crazy:

That emoji was completely unnecessary. Accept that people have opinions, and that a forum is a place to share and discuss those opinions.

• Like 1