Meaning of the Police song "Wrapped Around Your Finger"?

Texas King

I thought he wrote it about Trudi? I remember Stewart saying how hard it was for him to write the drum parts for this and other songs on the album because he had to get into Sting's head to tap the emotions he was going through - leaving his first wife for Trudi and the ugly divorce.

Love the song. Still makes me tear up every time I listen to it.

:musicnote: Devil and the deep blue sea behind me

Vanish in the air, you'll never find me

I will turn your face to alabaster

Then you'll find your servant is your master :musicnote:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I thought he wrote it about Trudi? I remember Stewart saying how hard it was for him to write the drum parts for this and other songs on the album because he had to get into Sting's head to tap the emotions he was going through - leaving his first wife for Trudi and the ugly divorce.

Did not know this Lorraine. I absolutely love the song. The drum parts are amazing and another fun song to play! I have octobans incorporated into my kit just to play along to The Police!

• Like 1

Did not know this Lorraine. I absolutely love the song. The drum parts are amazing and another fun song to play! I have octobans incorporated into my kit just to play along to The Police!

I wish I could remember where I read it so I could post the link for you, but he did say it. I'm trying to find it for you. If I do, I will post the link.

• Like 1

The video is cool in that they played the song double time, then slowed down the film to match the studio take.

And candles.

0e986ed658f96d682136d71e555f3758--jet-daytona-.jpg

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I think it´s about how one enters a relationship thinking he/she is the dominant force, but ends up finding that the other person is the one "calling all the shots" and dominating him/her from an emotional standpoint.

From Wikipedia: Being between Scylla and Charybdis is an idiom deriving from Greek mythology, meaning "having to choose between two evils". Several other idioms, such as "on the horns of a dilemma", "between the devil and the deep blue sea", and "between a rock and a hard place" express similar meanings.

Seems definitely just a strong crush/love song. Well written, but mostly just describing a variant of that kind of experience. King Of Pain or Invisible Sun might be more interesting to analyze.
  • Like 2

I think it´s about how one enters a relationship thinking he/she is the dominant force, but ends up finding that the other person is the one "calling all the shots" and dominating him/her from an emotional standpoint.

From Wikipedia: Being between Scylla and Charybdis is an idiom deriving from Greek mythology, meaning "having to choose between two evils". Several other idioms, such as "on the horns of a dilemma", "between the devil and the deep blue sea", and "between a rock and a hard place" express similar meanings.

:yes:

Odysseus' ship had to pass between the two. I think it's inclyded in the film Jason and the Argonauts, if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

Odysseus' ship had to pass between the two. I think it's inclyded in the film Jason and the Argonauts, if I recall correctly.

It's also in The Odyssey, which should be a required read in all schools. :ph34r:

• Like 2

It's also in The Odyssey, which should be a required read in all schools. :ph34r:

And the Aeneid. The Scylla and Charybdis make their appearance in Book III of that one.

9037031_f520.jpg

Scylla has the six heads, while Charybdis is a giant whirlpool.

Edited by goose

I wish I could remember where I read it so I could post the link for you, but he did say it. I'm trying to find it for you. If I do, I will post the link.

Thank you my dear!

• Like 1

The video is cool in that they played the song double time, then slowed down the film to match the studio take.

And candles.

0e986ed658f96d682136d71e555f3758--jet-daytona-.jpg

Absolutely!! Love love love the video!!!

• Like 1

From Wikipedia:

Sting described "Wrapped Around Your Finger" as "a spiteful song about turning the tables on someone who had been in charge. This song is vaguely alchemical and probably about a friend of mine, a professional psychic and my tutor in tarot, with bits of Doctor Faustus and 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' thrown into the pot for good measure."

As for the video, this bit is funny:

Andy Summers...was critical of Sting's overacting in the video.

I never much liked the idea for "Wrapped Around Your Finger." No, I was kind of pissed off about that one. I've never been much of a fan of that song, actually. Sting got to shoot his part last in that video and made a meal of knocking all the candles out. f**k him.
:LOL:

• Like 2

I thought it was pretty obvious what it was about. Younger guy meets up with older woman who teaches him about sex but then she develops feelings for him. It gives him the upper hand. Figuratively speaking.

I thought it was pretty obvious what it was about. Younger guy meets up with older woman who teaches him about sex but then she develops feelings for him. It gives him the upper hand. Figuratively speaking.

Haha..."figuratively speaking."

• Like 1

From Wikipedia:

Sting described "Wrapped Around Your Finger" as "a spiteful song about turning the tables on someone who had been in charge. This song is vaguely alchemical and probably about a friend of mine, a professional psychic and my tutor in tarot, with bits of Doctor Faustus and 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' thrown into the pot for good measure."

I never much liked the idea for "Wrapped Around Your Finger." No, I was kind of pissed off about that one. I've never been much of a fan of that song, actually. Sting got to shoot his part last in that video and made a meal of knocking all the candles out. f**k him.

Any time I pick up pieces of info about Andy Summers talking about Sting, I like him more and more. Summers that is. Obviously.

• Like 2

From Wikipedia:

Any time I pick up pieces of info about Andy Summers talking about Sting, I like him more and more. Summers that is. Obviously.

I read the bios of all three Police members. Guess which one is the most pretentious and self important?

• Like 2