How do you feel about the song "The Big Money"?

Texas King

How do you feel about Rush song "The Big Money"?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Rush song "The Big Money"?

• It's one of my fave Rush tunes, hands down.
    • It's not in the upper level of Rush songs but I like it pretty much.
    • It's the OK tune, but I'm not crazy about it.
    • I don't like it that much but there are many other Rush songs that are worse.
    • I hate it. It just sucks.
  2. 2. What grade would you give "The Big Money"?

If they re-did it without all the synch burps and squawks, it would have more redeeming value. but definitely not a go to tune for me.

The only redeeming thing about Rush's synth era was that it was better than becoming a 80s hair metal band or power ballad band.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/albums/powerwindows-4-s.jpg

Whoa! I can actually feel the power!

:o

If you lay your hands upon the screen you can feel it even more.

I don't like it all that much. I think Power Windows is a really strong album, but this is the weakest song on it.

I still have it a C, though. :huh:

I filed an application to have your membership suspended.

Weaker than Emotion Detector (bleh)?! Weaker than Middletown Dreams (double bleh)?! Pfffftttttt.....

"Big money...big big wheels!"

Yes, I think so.

Oh come on!!

When we lift the covers from our feelings...

Dreams flow across the heartland...

?????!!!!!!

*shudder*

Bleh.

Those are seriously horrible lyrics. :poke:

Big Money is not even in the same league of cheese as those two.

Nowhere close.

Sorry.

you reminded me, my vote for a Neil lyric that makes my skin crawl with the douche-chills is one album later on HYF, that being Second Nature. :scared:

• Like 1

you reminded me, my vote for a Neil lyric that makes my skin crawl with the douche-chills is one album later on HYF, that being Second Nature.

Yeah, because lyrics about how we should expect more from the people we elect to lead and provide welfare for us all, are what constitutes bad lyrics. The lyrics to Second Nature are in my Top 5 lyrics in ANY RUSH song period. They are meaningful and important. Anyone who spouts that much hate towards them is just doing so because they are afraid of the message. They are the very definition of brilliant lyrics. I have nothing but love for that song. It means everything to me to hear those words sung.

I also love the lyrics of The Big Money. Power Windows marks the start of a period where Neil's lyrics go from strength to strength. They had steadily improved from Permanent Waves onward, but he really hit his stride in the mid-80's.

Too many captains

Keep on steering us wrong

It’s hard to take the heat —

It’s hard to lay blame

To fight the fire —

While we’re

Feeding the flames

Get it: The leaders of this world are purposefully fostering a system that creates inequalities & injustice and laying the responsibility of fixing the travesty created at the feet of charity, but charitable contributions are actually meaningless in a world that creates inequality faster and more effectively than any charitable donation could ever remedy. Another analogy: It's like bailing water from a boat you are shooting holes in. THIS IS BRILLIANT! THESE LYRICS ARE PERFECT! They mean everything and say so much so eloquently. This is Neil at his lyrical best. I couldn't thank him enough for writing this.

:heart:

Edit: I had to add the hateful quote because my reply appeared on the next page. I didn't want to repeat that awful sentence, but the board thwarted me!

Edited by diatribein

Are you seriously doing this again?

I doubt jnoble is afraid of the message, and simply doesn't like the lyrics themselves. Whether that's the way they sound, are constructed, the cadence. They sound cheesy to him. Whatever! He doesn't like them, ok?! No need to get insulting about it.

You really read way too much into someone else's opinion when it's an opinion that you yourself are offended by.

Quit getting so emotionally bent out of shape by someone else's differing opinion. How many times do I have to tell you that taste is subjective?! Do you know what that means? It means it's subject to the individual. And everyone has different individual taste. Not everyone hears the same thing you do. Nor do you hear the same thing they do. And that's ok. Just as you say you don't hear Rush in Hemispheres. A statement that boggles most Rush fan's minds, btw. Some of us don't hear the Rush we love in songs like Second Nature or Bravest Face.

Like what you like diatribein, but don't get bent out of shape if not everyone has the same opinion of it as you do. Get a grip, man!

Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 4

I doubt jnoble is afraid of the message, and simply doesn't like lyrics themselves. Whether that's the way they sound, are constructed, the cadence. They sound cheesy to him. Whatever! He doesn't like them, ok?! No need to get insulting about it.

You really read way too much into someone else's opinion when it's an opinion that you yourself are offended by.

Quit getting so emotionally bent out of shape by someone else's differing opinion. How many times do I have to tell you that taste is subjective?! Do you know what that means? It means it's subject to the individual. And everyone has different individual taste. Not everyone hears the same thing you do. Nor do you hear the same thing they do. And that's ok. Just as you say you don't hear Rush in Hemispheres. A statement that boggles most Rush fan's minds, btw. Some of us don't hear the Rush we love in songs like Second Nature or Bravest Face.

Like what you like diatribein, but don't get bent out of shape if not everyone has the same opinion of it as you do. Get a grip, man!

I love how he gets the exact message out of the lyrics that constitutes his feelings about things, even though it is far from obvious that that's what was intended by what was written!

• Like 1

I doubt jnoble is afraid of the message, and simply doesn't like lyrics themselves. Whether that's the way they sound, are constructed, the cadence. They sound cheesy to him. Whatever! He doesn't like them, ok?! No need to get insulting about it.

I think the fantasy BS lyrics of The Fountain of Lamneth are awful and yet I don't take EVERY OPPORTUNITY to slam them. In fact, this is the first time I am mentioning them. I don't give a crap of what people like or dislike, but you know what polite people do when they dislike something on a message board for people who come to talk about a band they love do? They talk about the things they do love. They don't go on threads about different songs to slam the one song they've decided they hate for whatever reason. That is utter BS. The energy it takes to constantly be so negative and slam a song without provocation requires more than just dislike for sound, construction, or the cadence.

AND I insulted no one. I said nothing insulting, mean or derogatory. I expressed outrage at what I feel is a myopic sentiment in regards to some of the best lyrics ever committed to a RUSH song and I explained my understanding of some of the lyrics and what they mean to me. Unlike some people, I do not resort to homophobic slurs like the one below.

Edited by diatribein

I think the fantasy BS lyrics of The Fountain of Lamneth are awful and yet I don't take EVERY OPPORTUNITY to slam them. In fact, this is the first time I am mentioning them. I don't give a crap of what people like or dislike, but you know what polite people do when they dislike something on a message board for people who come to talk about a band they love do? They talk about the things they do love. They don't go on threads about different songs to slam the one song they've decided they hate for whatever reason. That is utter BS. The energy it takes to constantly be so negative and slam a song without provocation requires more than just dislike for sound, construction, or the cadence.

Second Nature crossed his mind so why wouldn't he mention it? [On a side note, I like those lyrics...but I can see why some would say they're cheesy]

"That reminds me..." is a pretty common phrase in conversation. And if we're talking about lyrics we don't like (or even like) and you mentioned Fountain of Lamneth, then it'd fit the thread.

It's not like the discussion of lyrics was suddenly turned towards the topic of asparagus or Papa Smurf.

• Like 3

Clever lyrics with a new approach by Peart (which was subsequently repeated, with varying success).

Took me years to realise there was a Caddyshack reference in it.

"A Cinderella story..."?

Well. It seems I've caused quite the hullabaloo here.

Hey look pal, if you love Second Nature and what it means to you personally that's great. Fantastic. Ill never tell another Rush fan what to think one way or the other about a song or album. But maybe take it down a notch on your wrong assumptions of why I *don't* like it, OK?

Its too soft musically and lyrically for what I'm used to from this band. And this is on an album that overall is probably their softest least edgy least "rockin'" they ever recorded.

• Like 4

Oh and to the main original topic....the studio cut of The Big Money is one of those songs I never really get tired of hearing, especially on radio. Its got an energy and kick to it that pretty much anything on the previous 2 albums don't have. It's like going from a black and white TV set to HD color in terms of pizazz and spirit

I don't give a crap of what people like or dislike,

But you do...or at least you act like you do.

I expressed outrage at what I feel is a myopic sentiment in regards to some of the best lyrics ever committed to a RUSH song and I explained my understanding of some of the lyrics and what they mean to me.

But that is your opinion and your opinion alone. Just because it strikes an emotional chord with you does not stand to reason that it will strike the same chord with others. You seem incredulous that not everyone holds the same views as you do.

The energy it takes to constantly be so negative and slam a song without provocation requires more than just dislike for sound, construction, or the cadence.

The energy it takes to constantly get so completely bent out of shape at people you don't even know for having opinions that differ greatly from yours, must require more than just the idea that opinions differ but that everyone should hear the same thing as you do, and if they don't there is something wrong with them.

• Like 3

Unlike some people, I do not resort to homophobic slurs like the one below.

Me homophobic ? .. Now wouldn't that be the pot calling the kettle black

diatribein, ok, as I've said before, we're all Rush fans here and I like your passion

We're like a big, fun dysfunctional family here ... at least that's how I see it, and that's what makes it enjoyable

The broad, sweeping generalizations you have put in some of your posts are a bit over the top, but hey, that's your style, and that fine - you've got spunk

But speaking for myself, I come here for fun and to exchange opinions and ideas - on a good natured level

• Like 4

Oh and to the main original topic....the studio cut of The Big Money is one of those songs I never really get tired of hearing, especially on radio. Its got an energy and kick to it that pretty much anything on the previous 2 albums don't have. It's like going from a black and white TV set to HD color in terms of pizazz and spirit

That might be true. However, some classic movies like Subdivisions and Distant Early Warning are better experienced in black & white. They have a pizazz and spirit of their own.

• Like 1

diatribein, ok, as I've said before, we're all Rush fans here and I like your passion

We're like a big, fun dysfunctional family here ... at least that's how I see it, and that's what makes it enjoyable

The broad, sweeping generalizations you have put in some of your posts are a bit over the top, but hey, that's your style, and that fine - you've got spunk

But speaking for myself, I come here for fun and to exchange opinions and ideas - on a good natured level

That's exactly it. There's a bunch of Rush songs that are generally unpopular that I'm not ashamed to admit that I really like. Rivendell, Superconductor, Half The World, The Body Electric, Red Lenses, How It Is, The Stars Look Down. Am I going to throw a hissy fit about it like certain other people around here do? Hell no! :eyeroll:

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 1

That's exactly it. There's a bunch of Rush songs that are generally unpopular that I'm not ashamed to admit that I really like. Rivendell, Superconductor, Half The World, The Body Electric, Red Lenses, How It Is, The Stars Look Down. Am I going to throw a hissy fit about it like certain other people around here do? Hell no! :eyeroll:

Wait...The Body Electric is unpopular?! When did that happen? I love that song! Top ten material there. As is Nobody's Hero. And that's mentioned by practically everyone whenever there's a poll for bad, cheesy, unpopular lyrics. I.love.that.song.

• Like 2

Wait...The Body Electric is unpopular?! When did that happen? I love that song! Top ten material there. As is Nobody's Hero. And that's mentioned by practically everyone whenever there's a poll for bad, cheesy, unpopular lyrics. I.love.that.song.

Whoever doesn't like Body Electric doesn't like it because they can't handle the message behind it! The meaning is too important to deny. They're threatened by the...ok ok I'm j/k.

:P

Don't listen to my madness. I don't even mind Superconductor or Dog Years either. :)

I've said this before on TRF:

When Superconductor was played on the Presto tour, the arena where I was went nuts.

• Like 2

Whoever doesn't like Body Electric doesn't like it because they can't handle the message behind it! The meaning is too important to deny. They're threatened by the...ok ok I'm j/k.

Don't listen to my madness. I don't even mind Superconductor or Dog Years either. :)

When Superconductor was played on the Presto tour, the arena where I was went nuts.

Was it a positive nuts or a "what the f**k did you cut into Xanadu for" kind of nuts?

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Was it a positive nuts or a "what the f**k did you cut into Xanadu for" kind of nuts?

Happy nuts :)

• Like 2

Happy nuts :)

The best kind!

• Like 1