anybody know of any other band but RUSH who writes better instrumentials?

workingthemangels63

Joe Zawinul would like a word with you all.

WEATHER REPORT, baby!

DAMN! I frigg'n meant to mention them and I forgot!!! :D

YES! YES! YES!

For those who are unused to their jazzy style, I would recommend starting with 'Procession'; it has a bit more of a modern sound to it.

• Like 2

Oh, and for Zappa, of course THE album to get would be 'Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar', but on the album 'Ship Arriving too Late to Save a Drowning Witch' (the one with 'Valley Girl' on it) there are two songs that are among my very favourites. One called 'Envelopes' and the Title track is indeed one of his most outstanding!

I've heard a few Level 42 ones on YT but forget the name. Of course they mostly showcased Mark King's Bass. And Elo's Fire on High is a old favorite. Great thread! Lots of stuff I never heard before.
  • Like 1

My favorite instrumental band is ozric tentacles.
DUDE!!! How could I POSSIBLY have forgotten them...???!DAMN STRAIGHT! Seriously, out of all of these mentioned here, including my own suggestions, you just can NOT go wrong with Ozric Tentacles! I have just about ALL their albums in FLAC and I have yet to hear ONE bad song! :D

THE GREAT PROGHOLIO indeed! You bloody deserve that title mate! http://lathe-of-heaven.com/yes.gif

Edited by latheofheaven
  • Like 1

Weather Report

Yes

It's hard to believe that after 4 pages of posts that not one person mentioned the song Frankenstein by Edgar Winter Group.
Good point! Probably because it is kind of a one song anomaly rather than a group to recommend for primarily instrumental stuff.Frigg'n AWESOME song though! http://lathe-of-heaven.com/Rock%20On2.gif Edited by latheofheaven

I should remind you guys that OP said they wanted "better" than Rush's instrumentals

In the title he says that but in his actual post he is saying something different.

They stated that Rush is the only band that can get away with an instrumental encore. That doesn't lower the bar much