Most fave song by The Kinks?

Texas King

Ray Davies is a great lyricist. He has a way with words and melody and the result is many, many great songs.

I don't know if it is true, but I read that Pete Townshend holds him in high regard and considers Ray a much better lyricist/musician than himself.

• Like 3

Ray Davies is a great lyricist. He has a way with words and melody and the result is many, many great songs.

I don't know if it is true, but I read that Pete Townshend holds him in high regard and considers Ray a much better lyricist/musician than himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. :)

• Like 1

He's a great storyteller, a wonderful observer of characters and situations. A rare gift in songwriting.

It's definitely his strength, though some would say he got carried away with it during the 1970s. Some of those Kinks albums are bogged down with concepts and stories, but there are great songs on all of them.

• Like 1

I heard that also. An influence is obvious on the early Who albums.

• Like 2

He is.

• Like 1

See My Friends is worth a mention. Ray was coming up with Indian inspired music before The Beatles...

It was in the air. The Beatles used a raga-like drone in "Ticket to Ride" which was released before "See My Friends". I see know real use in pointing out who came up with what and when. Indian music was a major influence on psychedelic rock and pretty much every rock artist was in on it.

Great tune, by the way.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 2

I think its called lazing on a summer afternoon, but not sure

Is that the song about the "big, fat momma"? :)

Ha ha yes, he also has a line about speaking tales if drunkeness and cruelty

• Like 1

Celluloid Heroes

This one. Not sure why but there's just something about it...

It's very evocative. Melancholy too. The lyrics paint great pictures.

That's the brilliance of Davies...his ability to paint a portrait.
  • Like 1

Tired of Waiting for You

Tired of Waiting for You is their best song.

Best album: Low Budget

Talk about a late career triumph. :yes:
  • Like 1

Waterloo Sunset

My all time favourite song since I was like 7.

• Like 1

What the hell, here's my Baker's Dozen. It's not immutable:

Autumn Almanac

Big Sky

Days

Death of a Clown

Life Goes On

Living on a Thin Line

Lazy Old Sun

Strangers

Sweet Lady Genevieve

This is Where I Belong

This Time Tomorrow

Tired of Waiting for You

Waterloo Sunset

I forgot about "I'm in Disgrace".

There are simply too many good songs...

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 3

What the hell, here's my Baker's Dozen. It's not immutable:

There are simply too many good songs...

Truth!!

My dozen:

Celluloid Heroes

A Rock & Roll Fantasy

Days

No More Looking Back

This Time Tomorrow

Better Things

Destroyer

State of Confusion

Victoria

Shangri-La

Phenomenal Cat

Get Back in Line

• Like 2

I can't believe no one mentioned Lola yet.

And a tell-tale sign that all is not well with me, I also can't believe that I forgot, until I was eating breakfast this morning when it popped into my head, that I saw The Kinks at the Fillmore East in 1969. How could i forget that??? That was my first concert ever.

Woe is me. :(

I'm losing it bad.

• Like 3

And a tell-tale sign that all is not well with me, I also can't believe that I forgot, until I was eating breakfast this morning when it popped into my head, that I saw The Kinks at the Fillmore East in 1969. How could i forget that??? That was my first concert ever.

I'm losing it bad.

Lola and Your Really Got Me are given, I think. And we're way too cool to put either of those on a list. :cool:
  • Like 1

I'm losing it bad.

Hey Lorraine, when you've recovered from your woe and found whatever it was you'd lost, would you mind sharing a few recollections of the concert?

Kinks live 1969? Whatdidtheyplay? Didtheyfight? Spill the beans! :LOL:

Not their best musical moment, but the lyrics fit the music perfectly.

"One day it's gotta get better. In some ways I wish it would get worse.

Anyway, what can I lose? It might turn into to something better."

• Like 1

I'm losing it bad.

Hey Lorraine, when you've recovered from your woe and found whatever it was you'd lost, would you mind sharing a few recollections of the concert?

Kinks live 1969? Whatdidtheyplay? Didtheyfight? Spill the beans! :LOL:

Hey VT!

Are you kidding me? I was 15 years old. That's 45+ years ago.

The only thing I remember is that Spirit was the lead band (that's why I went to the concert - to see Spirit) and The Kinks were the "co-stars." In 1969, the Kinks weren't too popular. There had been a rumor going around for years that Ray was strung out and killing himself with drugs. I think I was the only person in my high school that owned Arthur. Bonzo Dog Band was the other band in the lineup. We had good seats too, and the concert wasn't even sold out. I remember them doing a lot of their top hits from the sixties.

The above are my own personal recollections of how it was in my sphere at that time, and I'm not saying it was the same all over.

• Like 1