JAZZ

The past month or so, I really started delving back in to some of the records my Dad used to listen to ..

I;m just starting to realize what a cool ************ my Dad was

:goodone:

Awesome. :fistbump:

• Like 2

I enjoy Miles Davis A LOT

But...beyond that...i get a bit intimidated

Generally, you should be intimidated by Miles. Not the other way around. A bit like Zappa in that way.

• Like 4

I'm into hard bop the most, out of all the jazz I've ever heard. Pick any Blue Note artist from the mid '50s to mid '60s, and you can't go wrong.

Some of my favorites are Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard...

I also love Bill Evans, Miles, Coltrane, Charles Mingus...and so many others I'm forgetting.

No wonder we get along so well! :D

When I was a teenager in the 80s, I was more into funky fusiony kind of things, but in college I got waaaay until 50s/60s Blue Note stuff. Hard bop RULES! :)

Honestly, the only fusiony/smooth stuff I really like these days is Weather Report.... and Metheny. Maybe some Yellowjackets. Marc Russo is a badass alto player.

Weather Report were such a multi-faceted group... every period of their existence has its gems.

Otherwise.. it's mostly a diet of hard bop and other 50s/60s "chamber jazz" ... small groups.

Not sure why Miles crossed over in a bigger way than Trane.. but somehow he put together bands and albums that resonated with many people, not just jazz fans.

Yeah, I'm definitely not into the 'smooth' jazz thing. It just reminds me of elevator music.

But a group like Weather Report I think of as very far removed from all that! They were really tight, and really far out. Great stuff.

Not a smooth jazz guy either.

Never could get into Weather Report. Love Return To Forever, Mahavishnu, Brand X.....but I don't know why Weather Report does nothing for me.

• Like 2

Intimidated?

You might enjoy quite a bit more.

Maybe that's more of a lack of understanding issue? It took me YEARS to "get" Bitches Brew. Kept listening to it. I knew I liked it But one day the light bulb went on and it was kind of an epiphany for me.

• Like 2

I'm into hard bop the most, out of all the jazz I've ever heard. Pick any Blue Note artist from the mid '50s to mid '60s, and you can't go wrong.

Some of my favorites are Art Blakey, Horace Silver, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard...

I also love Bill Evans, Miles, Coltrane, Charles Mingus...and so many others I'm forgetting.

When I was a teenager in the 80s, I was more into funky fusiony kind of things, but in college I got waaaay until 50s/60s Blue Note stuff. Hard bop RULES! :)

Honestly, the only fusiony/smooth stuff I really like these days is Weather Report.... and Metheny. Maybe some Yellowjackets. Marc Russo is a badass alto player.

Weather Report were such a multi-faceted group... every period of their existence has its gems.

Otherwise.. it's mostly a diet of hard bop and other 50s/60s "chamber jazz" ... small groups.

Not sure why Miles crossed over in a bigger way than Trane.. but somehow he put together bands and albums that resonated with many people, not just jazz fans.

Miles Davis crossed over in a bigger way than John Coltrane mainly due to two things:

1-Bitches Brew (1969) This sold like hotcakes. Stoner jazz! His appearance at several of the big rock festivals certainly helped too.

2-Coltrane pursuing free jazz from 1965 until his death in 1967. Coltrane was very much a musical 'seeker' and at times, was a bit more difficult for your average jazz listener to comprehend and digest than anything that Miles Davis was playing. Listen to his solo in 'All Blues' from "Coltrane/Davis Live in Stockholm 1960", whoa nelly! And that was 1960! :LOL:

Coltrane's in at 5:00 with some long tones that eventually develop into quick scale-like runs similar to what he used on Love Supreme. Things get squirrely around the 8 minute mark. Would've loved to see Miles' facial expression when that was happening. Great solo though, holy sh!t!

• Like 5

Miles Davis crossed over in a bigger way than John Coltrane mainly due to two things:

1-Bitches Brew (1969) This sold like hotcakes. Stoner jazz! His appearance at several of the big rock festivals certainly helped too.

2-Coltrane pursuing free jazz from 1965 until his death in 1967. Coltrane was very much a musical 'seeker' and at times, was a bit more difficult for your average jazz listener to comprehend and digest than anything that Miles Davis was playing. Listen to his solo in 'All Blues' from "Coltrane/Davis Live in Stockholm 1960", whoa nelly! And that was 1960! :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z3pDpZ-d1M

Coltrane's in at 5:00 with some long tones that eventually develop into quick scale-like runs similar to what he used on Love Supreme. Things get squirrely around the 8 minute mark. Would've loved to see Miles' facial expression when that was happening. Great solo though, holy sh!t!

I'm probably one of the few who like the free jazz period though I'm pretty sure I don't quite understand it all yet.

Who knows what impact Coltrane would have had if he'd lived even another five years. He died at the cusp of what so far has turned out to be one of most exciting periods in music.

• Like 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z3pDpZ-d1M

Coltrane's in at 5:00 with some long tones that eventually develop into quick scale-like runs similar to what he used on Love Supreme. Things get squirrely around the 8 minute mark. Would've loved to see Miles' facial exp<b></b>ression when that was happening. Great solo though, holy sh!t!

I'm probably one of the few who like the free jazz period though I'm pretty sure I don't quite understand it all yet.

Who knows what impact Coltrane would have had if he'd lived even another five years. He died at the cusp of what so far has turned out to be one of most exciting periods in music.

I've thought about that before, too- what directions he would have gone (i.e. how much farther out) if he'd been around just through the end of the '60s, even.

• Like 1

Some mind-blowing playing here, holy moley!

To bad about the crappy edit.

I guess this is closer to fusion than jazz, but whatever. Damn good musicians, damn good improvising.

F*cking amazing drummer. Ridiculous! Supersonic 7/8!

On Night Music, making jaws drop:

I f***ing hate Jazz...

Yes, I know the musicanship is often stellar, but it bores me rigid, and when there are lyrics they tend to be banal.

• Like 1

I f***ing hate Jazz...

Yes, I know the musicanship is often stellar, but it bores me rigid, and when there are lyrics they tend to be banal.

Any music that puts style over substance should not be trusted!

- Ashley Simpson

Intimidated?

Just noticed this.

Yeah I'd need someone to guide me. Jazz is very strange waters for me to venture into.

• Like 1

I f***ing hate Jazz...

- Ashley Simpson

LMAO she of all people

• Like 1

I f***ing hate Jazz...

- Ashley Simpson

LMAO she of all people

Any quotes by vaportrailer should not be trusted!

- vaportrailer's mom

• Like 1

I f***ing hate Jazz...

- Ashley Simpson

LMAO she of all people

Any quotes by vaportrailer should not be trusted!

- vaportrailer's mom

You so funny...

:P

• Like 1

Intimidated?

Just noticed this.

Yeah I'd need someone to guide me. Jazz is very strange waters for me to venture into.

Since I know you like quite a bit of Miles, I'd recommend Chet Baker to you- stylistically, he's similar to Miles' late 1950s to mid-'60s sound.

And then stylistically different, but who I favor even more, would be Lee Morgan- particularly anything from about 1964 or earlier.

Freddie Hubbard, Blue Mitchell, Kenny Dorham- all definitely worth investigating.

And those are just trumpeters alone- I haven't even got started on the saxophone, pianists, bassists, drummers...

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

Intimidated?

Just noticed this.

One way to get further into it would be to check out some albums by some of the other players on Miles' albums. Cannonball Adderley and John Coltrane both play on the Miles classic Kind Of Blue. If you really like any of the sax solos on that album I'd check some of their stuff out. Coltrane's A Love Supreme is transcendent.

• Like 3

Intimidated?

Just noticed this.

One way to get further into it would be to check out some albums by some of the other players on Miles' albums. Cannonball Adderley and John Coltrane both play on the Miles classic Kind Of Blue. If you really like any of the sax solos on that album I'd check some of their stuff out. Coltrane's A Love Supreme is transcendent.

Coltrane is another who went through a couple of different phases, and certainly would have evolved more, had he lived longer.

I think my favorite Coltrane albums are Ole and Africa/Brass. But there are so many good ones...

• Like 2

Intimidated?

Just noticed this.

Coltrane is another who went through a couple of different phases, and certainly would have evolved more, had he lived longer.

I think my favorite Coltrane albums are Ole and Africa/Brass. But there are so many good ones...

Here's some spicy live Coltrane on soprano sax, with the amazing Elvin Jones pummeling his drums. Turn it up!

This is the first Coltrane that I heard many many years ago. Blew my little mind.

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drumpics34/elvinjonescreasy.jpg

(I was lucky enough to attend an Elvin Jones drum clinic way back when, and afterwards got to shake his hand and talk with him a bit. A very warm and generous person. He signed a blank piece of music manuscript paper for me that I keep meaning to frame. One of the few autographs that I ever asked for!)

• Like 4

Intimidated?

Just noticed this.

A lot of people don't like his late period, but it's likely my favorite.

• Like 1

I f***ing hate Jazz...

I'm sure you like some Jazz Paul, maybe without realising it, like this for example:

And this...

• Like 1

I could never understand jazz even when I studied music. I found it confusing, like there was no rhyme or reason to it.