Rate the Rush musical equipment in the official video of Distant Early Warning

Texas King

Rate the Rush musical equipment in official video of Distant Early Warning  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the Rush musical equipment in official video of Distant Early Warning

• ★☆☆☆☆
    • ★★☆☆☆
    • ★★★☆☆
    • ★★★★☆
    • ★★★★★

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDj5XvZXX4

How their equipment look to you in this music video?

I think Geddy's bass sucks monkey balls, Lifeson's guitar looks cool, Geddy's synths are nothing special and Peart's drums are cool.

So I will give it 3 stars.

And do you know what type of ridiculous bass Geddy used in this video?

I would also like to know what type of bass that is.

• Like 1

The bass is a Steinberger

All I can say is that the bass and the jacket complemented each other

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/bass-player-11.1988/bass-player-11.1988-2.jpg

You may ask yourself, why would I wear this?
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrDj5XvZXX4

How their equipment look to you in this music video?

I think Geddy's bass sucks monkey balls, Lifeson's guitar looks cool, Geddy's synths are nothing special and Peart's drums are cool.

So I will give it 3 stars.

And do you know what type of ridiculous bass Geddy used in this video?

A Steinberger L-2. I would hardly call it ridiculous. I DO wonder what those would sound like using the neck pickup only (probably like a non-wood Precision).

• Like 1

He chose the Steinberg so he could get to the keyboards easier, not sure that he used them on the record but might be wrong. One of their best looks for me..Peart's kit is awesome, Ged's battered

Moog has seen better days though!

Edited by bootruss
  • Like 1

Yeah, it is a lame video. Time Stand Still video is worse. Super cheezy! We're they tryin' to piss their fans off? His sissy bass, the clothes....check out their style in the Red Sector A video: Ged's threads looks like Miami Vice and Alex's hair A Flock Of Seagulls. What happened?

In Beyond The Lighted Stage documentary Ged admits that they're clueless with stage clothes...but c'mon. Being clueless is one thing, but trying to look like absolute horses asses? Why not just wear jeans and t-shirts? Ged's hair later in the 80s was super gay.

Yeah, it is a lame video. Time Stand Still video is worse. Super cheezy! We're they tryin' to piss their fans off? His sissy bass, the clothes....check out their style in the Red Sector A video: Ged's threads looks like Miami Vice and Alex's hair A Flock Of Seagulls. What happened?

Time Stand Still is definitely the worst music video they did. The whole music video could be a Windows Screen Saver.

Time Stand Still is definitely the worst music video they did. The whole music video could be a Windows Screen Saver.

Worst video is Superconductor. Not sure it was ever released in the US.

By the way, Anyone ever get picked to be in the audience for the filming of "Stupidconductor" in NYC?

• Like 1

Oh, c'mon everyone, hindsight is always 20/20. Steinberger basses were popular at the time; Sting used one on Synchronicity. How do you know if something new is what you like unless you try it? Eddie Van Halen played the headless guitar version for a long time and just had his favorite one restored. The hair and clothes were popular at the time, I'll just leave it at that, unless you want to look at my brother in law's 1985 wedding photos. . . . . . ;)

Oh, c'mon everyone, hindsight is always 20/20. Steinberger basses were popular at the time; Sting used one on Synchronicity. How do you know if something new is what you like unless you try it? Eddie Van Halen played the headless guitar version for a long time and just had his favorite one restored. The hair and clothes were popular at the time, I'll just leave it at that, unless you want to look at my brother in law's 1985 wedding photos. . . . . . ;)

Doing something just because it's popular doesn't make it a good thing. The steinberger is ugly but sounds like shit to me and it doesn't take long to figure it out. If he thought it was great he would have kept playing to but it became uncool like keytars. As far as the clothes and hair they were close but not quite what was really cool which is kind of typical rush IMO.

• Like 1

Doing something just because it's popular doesn't make it a good thing. The steinberger is ugly but sounds like shit to me and it doesn't take long to figure it out. If he thought it was great he would have kept playing to but it became uncool like keytars. As far as the clothes and hair they were close but not quite what was really cool which is kind of typical rush IMO.

Not disagreeing with you, I was just trying to say that's why they might have tried them in the first place. I don't have a good ear for instruments but you are right, Ged didn't use the Steinberger for long! Too funny about the clothes and hair; you are right, they got close sometimes but kind of the Canadian version of styles or something. :)

Edited by blueschica

I have no problem with that bass at that time. I don't think the live show suffered from it either.

• Like 1