Does Anyone hate the 80's as much as me?

Steve Smith

Hi Lucas

Yes Killing Joke were a f***ing great band, long forgotten sadly.

I have an (unhealthy) debate about whether it was ripped off.

I reckon "Lithium" by Nirvana is the same riff and then Noel Gallagher stole it again on "Married with children".

Noel is actually a lot smarter than people realise. His defence would be "How can I be a plagiarist by you saying that I ripped off Nirvana when Kurt ripped it off from Killing Joke???"

He has a point

Steve

Killing Joke are still going strong.

• Like 2

Hi Lucas

Yes Killing Joke were a f***ing great band, long forgotten sadly.

I have an (unhealthy) debate about whether it was ripped off.

I reckon "Lithium" by Nirvana is the same riff and then Noel Gallagher stole it again on "Married with children".

Noel is actually a lot smarter than people realise. His defence would be "How can I be a plagiarist by you saying that I ripped off Nirvana when Kurt ripped it off from Killing Joke???"

He has a point

Steve

Killing Joke are still going strong.

absolutely

• Like 1

Well I like AC/DC and Metallica and I love Beavis and Butthead.

I suppose in some way the characters tap into our juvenile behaviour.... and I LOVE IT!

Smudger and Smithy are my nicknames in the UK

Smudger is a nickname for someone called Smith. (I know ... there are so few of us about with that unusual surname)

KR's

Steve

In fairness John I am sort of an old fashioned guy really, so take your point

I believe in Blokes (English slang for men) doing blokes tasks and women doing women stuff.

For instance my GF can not understand the DVD recorder or Sky + and I am equally inept with the washing machine.

Don't see anything wrong with that but I do believe that a relationship should be an equal relationship, only way it will work IMO

Hi Ancient Ways

Thanks for sticking up for me, I am not sure whether I should take that as a compliment or a criticism. I will take it as a compliment, thank you :sundog:

The thing is that I never wish to upset or offend anyone but I have very strong principles and I believe in standing up for what I believe is right. I also try to be a diplomat and I always try to see others point of view.

Perhaps sometimes I get on my high horse and at times I get pissed off and can maybe have a thin skin.

That is something that I realise and am working on.

This is a great forum where people can express their views and opinions, that is what it is all about and I would never take offence at someone expressing their belief and opinions. It is about free speech.

"I may not agree with your opinion but I will fight tooth and nail for you to be allowed to express it"

I am sure Neil would agree

KR's

Steve

• Like 1

Two nuns walking in the woods

A flasher comes out of the bushes and shows them a full hardon

It caused one of the nuns to have a stroke.

The other nun just watched

- Recycled from the Joke archives circa 1936 -

Steve

You'd definitely hate me haha

Yeah, those 80s bands that were all image !!

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/music-express-12.1985/music-express-12.1985-cover.jpg

Alex & Ged having a good time, Neil annoyed. :LOL:
  • Like 4

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images/books/music-express-12.1985/music-express-12.1985-cover.jpg

.. would you two please cut the crap, I am TRYING TO BE SERIOUS GODDAMIT

• Like 4

.. would you two please cut the crap, I am TRYING TO BE SERIOUS GODDAMIT

...30 more years of this?
  • Like 3

Hello All

Maybe I am being slightly unfair but your years between the ages of 18 and 25 are supposed to be the best of times

I was 14 when the 80's began and 25 when they thankfully ended.

Let me be clear, I HATED the 80's IN THE 80s!!!!!

So much vacous poodle permed rock with absolutely no substance whatsoever.

Bon Jovi, Europe, Skid Row, Poison, Motley Crue, just awful awful

Little girl magazines like Smash Hits running polls like "who has the best hair? Jon bon Tempi or Joey Tempest"

I would go to a rock club where you would be judged by how tight your trousers were and how big your poodle perm was.

Guitar playing was just the same. How much do you know about modes? Lydian, Mixalidian, Lochrian, Aolian, Phrygian, up your own arsealydian. I actually spoke to a lad in a rock from Stoke at the time who told me he was doing serious dissertation about classical metal and was coming to Newcastle to sit and pass exams. I thought about asking him to "examine his arse" but walked away.

It was the most horrible horrible awful time in the UK!!!!!

The most horrible time ever.

Thank goodness that Grunge with bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden came in the late 80's and got rid of all the terrible pretentious useless shit!

I did have long hair in the 80's and was an accomplished player but I just hated all of that crap.

Very sorry for my rant, I wish I had grown up in the 60's or 70's

Steve :-(

I don't hate it because there are some great tunes I found in appreciated bands; not in those you mentioned though. I personally like none of these ones you're talking about.

It really depends.

I use to simply adore 90's bands and I just don't enjoy them anymore too, except Alice In Chains and Stone Temple Pilots.

I do choose music according to the band and their work, no matter if an album was released in 1977 or 2013.

There bands from 80's I truly care and simply favorite, as Marillion, The Cure and some heavy metal.

I LOVE RUSH during 80's! :yes: :rush:

• Like 2

i'm a bigger fan of the 70s. the only album from the 80s that i really dislike is HYF.

:o

Meme meme, why is that?? HYF is great!

I'm really not sure. I have tried so many times to enjoy it but it just doesn't seem very....Rush. I like about 3 or 4 songs from it but the rest just doesn't really catch my attention.
  • Like 1

Not much of a fan of the eighties either. Crappy time for me for one thing. As for music I wasn't into it much at the time. I still am not a big fan of a lot of it but have grown to like some of it. I will never be a fan of the whole hair metal stuff. It's not even metal for one thing. I like some bands who are kind of sort of similar(Def Leppard or Twisted Sister for example)but I can do without much of it. I have grown to like stuff like Metallica and Iron Maiden and even Megadeth though. Now that's real metal.
  • Like 1

Yes I agree

I did not know who she was but I Googled her (I am from little old England land) and she appears to be that Skank that Don has given some job to (I don't know what).

I normally don't resort to personal insults about people's looks but since Mr Donald seems to like that approach then I suppose it is OK

In some photos she does not look that bad but in others her skin and face looks like some completely f***ed up trailor trash who has spent a life on a sunbed and smoked 60 a day.

Yes I think Mike Judge could definitely resurrect the boys for a few more shows. Amazing fun it would be.

Cheers dude, you have restored my faith :sundog:

KR's

Steve :-)

Thanks dude

People just don't get what I was trying to say. I loved a lot of music of the 80's IN ALL STYLES AND GENRES.

It was just the whole vacuous emphasis on "image, look and style" that I hated so much. If you had the right haircut and wore the right clothes then that was more important than the music. I mean for f***s sake!???? I get a lot of negative comments and that is completely fair enough I accept totally, everyone can express an opinion and that is a good thing. But am I really that much out of order expressing this opinion?

Yes, fashion is temporary and class is permanent dude.

Bands like Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Soundgarden will still be remembered long after the poppy hair metal is forgotten about.

Personally I blame Van Halen. They singularly were responsible for all of the horrible poodle perm pop metal of the 80's.

Please don't get me wrong, EVH is my joint favourite guitarist along with Hendrix, Page and Alex Lifeson. But they created a monster.

Again just my opinion ha ha :-)

Thanks dude

People just don't get what I was trying to say. I loved a lot of music of the 80's IN ALL STYLES AND GENRES.

It was just the whole vacuous emphasis on "image, look and style" that I hated so much. If you had the right haircut and wore the right clothes then that was more important than the music. I mean for f***s sake!???? I get a lot of negative comments and that is completely fair enough I accept totally, everyone can express an opinion and that is a good thing. But am I really that much out of order expressing this opinion?

Bands like Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Soundgarden will still be remembered long after the poppy hair metal is forgotten about.

Personally I blame Van Halen. They singularly were responsible for all of the horrible poodle perm pop metal of the 80's.

Please don't get me wrong, EVH is my joint favourite guitarist along with Hendrix, Page and Alex Lifeson. But they created a monster.

Steve, you need to use the quote button when you respond to posts or no one can tell who or what you're responding to.

• Like 1

Thanks dude

Steve, you need to use the quote button when you respond to posts or no one can tell who or what you're responding to.

Not sure that will help.

Just kidding, Stevo!

• Like 1