Your fave AOR-type band?

Texas King

Your fave AOR-type band?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Your fave AOR-type band?

Would ELO fit here ??

Night Ranger ??

Too esoteric. Yes absolutely.

If Night Ranger counts, they're my pick. They're my 2nd favorite band, only behind Rush!
  • Like 3

Would ELO fit here ??

Night Ranger ??

ok, agreed

The radio friendly type hits do qualify. Not so much rhe earlier stuff or the Concerto. Some stuff seems

more Beatlesque pop than AOR.

Wtf am I even talkinf about. Its all just music!!!;)

• Like 1

Would ELO fit here ??

Night Ranger ??

ok, agreed

The radio friendly type hits do qualify. Not so much rhe earlier stuff or the Concerto. Some stuff seems

more Beatlesque pop than AOR.

Wtf am I even talkinf about. Its all just music!!!;)

But it's fun to discuss .. at least until Treeduck comes in an starts talking about socks, then it just gets weird

Anyways, I do think ELO fit better somewhere else ... and take a band like Def Leppard - a case could be made for them being AOR, but I think they fit better in another category

So if we are labeling here, I think a band like Journey fit best under the AOR heading, while ELO don't

AOR wasn't originally considered a genre but was a radio station format concept. Basically, if it was rock but not pop it might be aor. So I would say that I heard elo more on pop radio than rock radio
  • Like 1

AOR wasn't originally considered a genre but was a radio station format concept. Basically, if it was rock but not pop it might be aor. So I would say that I heard elo more on pop radio than rock radio

While I do see your point AW, I agree with DD with the esoteric part - which sort of contradicts the pop radio success of ELO

But that is ELO for you

I think we all agree they don't really fit the AOR bill

Night Ranger fits

• Like 1

Loverboy ??

Big enough? I like the three songs of theirs I know (is it three or two?), but I can't recall ever hearing they were a particularly great or important band.

Of course, this has reminded me of perhaps another one. Not Jefferson Airplane, not Starship, but Jefferson Starship? Jane Jane Jane?

Would ELO fit here ??

Night Ranger ??

If Night Ranger counts, they're my pick. They're my 2nd favorite band, only behind Rush!

Agreed. If Night Ranger was in the poll that would have been mine too.

• Like 1

A toss up between Boston and Styx. Leaning towards Styx right now, mainly due to quantity of albums that I love.

Exactly where I am. Boston's debut is tops, but Styx has a much broader catalog that I enjoy. Styx II, Equinox and Cornerstone (I know!) are favorites. Quite a variety there.
  • Like 3

Loverboy ??

Big enough? I like the three songs of theirs I know (is it three or two?), but I can't recall ever hearing they were a particularly great or important band.

They were huge in the PacNorthwest in the early 80's. First three albums are great fun.
  • Like 1

A toss up between Boston and Styx. Leaning towards Styx right now, mainly due to quantity of albums that I love.

Exactly where I am. Boston's debut is tops, but Styx has a much broader catalog that I enjoy. Styx II, Equinox and Cornerstone (I know!) are favorites. Quite a variety there.

I really love Cornerstone now as well.

I think the first ten albums are all superb.

• Like 2

I would have voted for Asia if they could have produced another album as good as their debut. Talk about an epic fall of.

Their debut is one of my all time favorite albums...ever.

I voted for Styx.

• Like 2

I would have voted for Asia if they could have produced another album as good as their debut. Talk about an epic fall of.

Their debut is one of my all time favorite albums...ever.

I voted for Styx.

Listening to Equinox right now!

Suite Madame Blue

:haz:

• Like 3

I wondered if Kansas might not fit into this category as well (I much prefer their proggier side, but they are also an AOR staple.)

I like all of these bands to some degree - Boston's first couple, Toto (some of the more musio sided), Foreigner had some great tunes but also inconsistent, REO was an early favorite of mine and had a couple great poppy albums, Styx could jam but with a side of cheese, Asia had a great debut but declined really quickly (also, for today: RIP John!)

I went with Journey. Their career just had much more diversity and longevity to it - from proggy-jammy initial phase, to the cool bluesy middle phase, to mega-selling pop superstars, and finally the nostalgia / in-decline phase. However, they were able to reinvent themselves successfully more than once. Some catchy tunes with excellent musicianship. Steve Smith was a big drumming influence for me.

• Like 1

I wondered if Kansas might not fit into this category as well (I much prefer their proggier side, but they are also an AOR staple.)

I like all of these bands to some degree - Boston's first couple, Toto (some of the more musio sided), Foreigner had some great tunes but also inconsistent, REO was an early favorite of mine and had a couple great poppy albums, Styx could jam but with a side of cheese, Asia had a great debut but declined really quickly (also, for today: RIP John!)

I went with Journey. Their career just had much more diversity and longevity to it - from proggy-jammy initial phase, to the cool bluesy middle phase, to mega-selling pop superstars, and finally the nostalgia / in-decline phase. However, they were able to reinvent themselves successfully more than once. Some catchy tunes with excellent musicianship. Steve Smith was a big drumming influence for me.

Kansas always had AOR trimmings to me even in the 70's.

they just embraced it fully in the 80's.

Mick

• Like 1