Bob Marley Poll

Disembodied Spirit

Bob Marley? Greatest Hits? Reggae Fan?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Does ONLY owning Bob Marley's Greatest Hits make you a fan of Reggae music?

• YES
    • NO
    • This record was left in my dorm room in college by some other dude
    • I only bought this to get laid
    • I only bought this after feeling bad for Will Smith in that stupid zombie movie of his
    • Weed, it's all about the weed
    • This dude is to real reggae, what CC DeVille is to good guitar players, a complete hack
    • I'm stoned can you repeat the question?

My Bob Marley theory is, if you only ever listened to his greatest hits it was because of peer pressure.

Every kid in college had a copy, and it somehow seemed cool. But owning 1 record from a genre does not make you HIP to that style of music.

Bob was popular because he had NO competition for the stoner crowd.

I know NO ONE who intentionally goes out and listens to Bob Marley.

Share your thoughts and pass the edibles

Even if you owned every single Marley album produced it only makes you a Marley fan not necessarily a reggae fan. I own every rush album but I'm not really a prog fan and own very little other music considered prog.

Even if you owned every single Marley album produced it only makes you a Marley fan not necessarily a reggae fan. I own every rush album but I'm not really a prog fan and own very little other music considered prog.

Not a fair comparison, no person on Earth owns every Marley album, except members of the Marley family.

Plus Hemispheres has not been handed to every incoming college freshman for 40 years straight...........

BUT IT SHOULD BE :D-13:

Not a fair comparison, no person on Earth owns every Marley album, except members of the Marley family.

Plus Hemispheres has not been handed to every incoming college freshman for 40 years straight...........

I bet serious reggae fans own every one of his albums.

• Like 1

I couldn't name one song he ever did.

Furthermore, I don't think I ever heard one song he ever did.

I Shot the Sheriff? (I'm sure you heard Clapton's version.)

No Woman, No Cry?

Jamming?

Just Clapton's version. Honestly, I cannot recall having ever heard one Bob Marley song. I'm sure I must have but, whatever it was, it wasn't very memorable to me.

• Like 1

My Bob Marley theory is, if you only ever listened to his greatest hits it was because of peer pressure.

Every kid in college had a copy, and it somehow seemed cool. But owning 1 record from a genre does not make you HIP to that style of music.

You knew "no one who who intentionally goes out and listens to Bob Marley"? You do now. I haven't smoked weed in years but I listen to Bob & the Wailers nearly as much as Rush. Not sure how relevant that is. None of my friends out here are Bob fans. In fact, the only Bob fan I know is my old flatmate. Not sure if he's still into him as he was 20 years ago though. I love Bob Marley & the Wailers. Favorite album is probably Catch a Fire or Exodus. Too hard to say.

I've only seen two reggae artists in concert: Pato Banton (good fun) and some local artist who seemed like a hack whose name I'll never remember.

The only Peter Tosh album I've ever owned was his debut. I stupidly let an acquaintance borrow that ages ago and never got it back. Good album.

With Pato Banton I never owned any of his albums because my old flatmate had them all so I just listened to his. Good stuff too but nowhere near the level of Bob Marley & The Wailers or Peter Tosh solo.

Am I reggae fan? I don't give a shit if I am or not.

I want to buy the rest of Bob Marley & the Wailers' stuff and that Peter Tosh debut plus maybe a couple more. The Pato stuff I feel I don't need to get even though he's enjoyable...it's like a good movie that I feel I don't really need to own. Other reggae stuff that I hear here and there seems ok (or worse) but none of it seems that interesting to me.

• Like 2

I listen to Bob Marley, on purpose...and I haven't partaken in the ganja for nearly 20 years.

He was very important to his genre and also in island culture, and beyond.

Reggae is big with the Cal-Nev ski crowd, so we hear it all the time when we're out and about. As has been pointed out, like with any genre, the good songs are good and the bad ones not so good.

On a personal note, I actually prefer Dub Side of the Moon to the Original.

You knew "no one who who intentionally goes out and listens to Bob Marley"? You do now. I haven't smoked weed in years but I listen to Bob & the Wailers nearly as much as Rush. Not sure how relevant that is. None of my friends out here are Bob fans. In fact, the only Bob fan I know is my old flatmate. Not sure if he's still into him as he was 20 years ago though. I love Bob Marley & the Wailers. Favorite album is probably Catch a Fire or Exodus. Too hard to say.

I've only seen two reggae artists in concert: Pato Banton (good fun) and some local artist who seemed like a hack whose name I'll never remember.

The only Peter Tosh album I've ever owned was his debut. I stupidly let an acquaintance borrow that ages ago and never got it back. Good album.

With Pato Banton I never owned any of his albums because my old flatmate had them all so I just listened to his. Good stuff too but nowhere near the level of Bob Marley & The Wailers or Peter Tosh solo.

Am I reggae fan? I don't give a shit if I am or not.

I want to buy the rest of Bob Marley & the Wailers' stuff and that Peter Tosh debut plus maybe a couple more. The Pato stuff I feel I don't need to get even though he's enjoyable...it's like a good movie that I feel I don't really need to own. Other reggae stuff that I hear here and there seems ok (or worse) but none of it seems that interesting to me.

Pato banton!!!!

I do not sniff the coke!

^^THIS^^ Is more the normal than most people think.

I Shot the Sheriff? (I'm sure you heard Clapton's version.)

No Woman, No Cry?

Jamming?

Just Clapton's version. Honestly, I cannot recall having ever heard one Bob Marley song. I'm sure I must have but, whatever it was, it wasn't very memorable to me.

It's because it's not memorable

I bet serious reggae fans own every one of his albums.

Where are these 11 people on Earth located?

I have over 80 songs by Marley. He was a musical genius, and his popularity is certainly not proof that he isn't a genius. The emotional energy he put into his craft was light years beyond what most artists accomplish.

I also love Black Uhuru, Peter Tosh, Barrington levy, Steel Pulse, and Lee Perry, among others.

And even so I do not know reggae the way a true reggae fan would. My collection is overwhelmingly Bob, and the fact I haven't sought to flesh out the collection with so many other fine artists is all it takes to say that I LIKE reggae, but I do not LOVE reggae.

I love great music, and sometimes that includes reggae. Bob would have been a great rock musician too. Listen to him play, he could so pull it off.

But a lot of Marley fans are only image fans. Like someone with a Ramones T-Shirt that likes the 'idea' of being a fan more than being a fan.

• Like 2

I have over 80 songs by Marley. He was a musical genius, and his popularity is certainly not proof that he isn't a genius. The emotional energy he put into his craft was light years beyond what most artists accomplish.

I also love Black Uhuru, Peter Tosh, Barrington levy, Steel Pulse, and Lee Perry, among others.

And even so I do not know reggae the way a true reggae fan would. My collection is overwhelmingly Bob, and the fact I haven't sought to flesh out the collection with so many other fine artists is all it takes to say that I LIKE reggae, but I do not LOVE reggae.

I love great music, and sometimes that includes reggae. Bob would have been a great rock musician too. Listen to him play, he could so pull it off.

But a lot of Marley fans are only image fans. Like someone with a Ramones T-Shirt that likes the 'idea' of being a fan more than being a fan.

^^THIS ^^ Is a great analogy Mosher. And right on point

What about 'Johnny Was', a great Marley tune that Stiff Little Fingers covered?

Or 'War'?

'Redemption Song'?

Not having heard a Marley song is merely a statement about listening choices or access. Until listened to, no statement about quality makes logical sense.

Rock fans do this all the time. "I'm lucky enough that I've never heard Bieber.' I have, and I agree that you're lucky, but the statement doesn't actually make sense. You can't actually know something is good or bad without hearing it.

^^THIS ^^ Is a great analogy Mosher. And right on point

It's definitely the norm.

And calling that out is worth it.