Rush the 70's and 80's music label?

Texas King

How would you label Rush 70's and 80's music?

I will accept a Progarchives site label heavy prog but only for Rush work from Caress of Steel to Moving Pictures.

But I don't know how I would label their post-Moving Pictures 80's work. I definitely don't consider it prog rock.

What are your opinions?

Post-progressive. One of the only prog bands that truly progressed. Always trying to push their music forward.

It seems like a lot of fans of Prog rock do not want their favorite bands to push forward. To some progressive rock is very specific. How's that progressive?

• Like 2

Post-progressive. One of the only prog bands that truly progressed. Always trying to push their music forward.

It seems like a lot of fans of Prog rock do not want their favorite bands to push forward. To some progressive rock is very specific. How's that progressive?

Exactly. I love Prog Rock but it does seem like many bands and their fans were stuck in a counter intuitive rut.

• Like 1

Good point. Rush progressed......many hated it, lol

Ironic huh?

Mick

• Like 2

That is definitely food for thought, although "pushing forward" does not automatically make something more "prog" ..

Does progressive rock differ from regressive rock ??

Ironic huh?

Mick

I was thinking of this today...take away all the epics up to MP...and you have a run of albums from 1974-89 that's essentially all short, snappy songs with hooks and choruses.

There aren't even that many epics...so...did they progress or simply tighten the songwriting?

• Like 2

Ironic huh?

Mick

I was thinking of this today...take away all the epics up to MP...and you have a run of albums from 1974-89 that's essentially all short, snappy songs with hooks and choruses.

There aren't even that many epics...so...did they progress or simply tighten the songwriting?

it's funny isin't?

take away the complexity.......and rush is a hook-y pop/hard/ rock band.

i'm serious.

i know hooks, lol

Mick

• Like 1

That is definitely food for thought, although "pushing forward" does not automatically make something more "prog" ..

Music genre semantics! :dweez:

Am I crazy? I think "pushing forward" is an accurate definition of progression. It's not?

• Like 2

Ironic huh?

Mick

it's funny isin't?

i'm serious.

i know hooks, lol

Mick

Sometimes fans talk about Rush like they are leaders of avant garde jazz fusion with music from another planet...in all honesty they sound quite plain in comparison to seventies Yes, Tull, Genesis or Gentle Giant. They rock hard but...they aren't really all that innovative. Even 2112 sounds like a few songs stitched together to make a complete side.

So...for me the seventies is really bumpy and sometimes as cringingly overreaching as early Styx. The eighties lacked a lot of the fire power but the music sounded better thought out, lyrics are mostly on point and Geddy actually sings.

• Like 2

I always thought including the length of a song in the definition of a genre to be a bit silly.

Exactly. I don't think Rush were prog if you compare them to the rivals.

If they are then so is Nightwish.

Am I crazy? I think "pushing forward" is an accurate definition of progression. It's not?

You are only crazy if you haven't realized that I am difficult !!!

• Like 1

How long does a song have to be to be considered Prog? How many notes and shifting time signatures need to be included? What about basing an entire album around a concept? What about the musicians wearing long flowing capes and tights? What about hats that look like flowers? How many gnomes and hobbits need to be included? What about space travel? Where does playing a flute come in?
  • Like 1

that's what i've gathered. progressive is to progress, lol

but it's gone from progressive rock to being shortened to prog rock.....prog now meaning........long-ish songs!!!!!!

lol

Miick

• Like 1

I thought the signature of prog rock was that it incorporates elements of many genres within the format of rock; jazz, classical, reggae, etc.. Also the song structures tend to be long in order to incorporate movements like classical and jazz is normally arranged. Given that their 70's albums did that on many songs/albums and I would argue there are still examples of this in the 80's material. So, given that prog rock brings in influences from other genres that weren't expected to be heard in rock I would say they have always fit that definition. Well, at least since Neil joined the band. Edited by catherine
  • Like 1

That is why I called them "post-progressive". :)

Ironic huh?

Mick

it's funny isin't?

i'm serious.

i know hooks, lol

Mick

So...for me the seventies is really bumpy and sometimes as cringingly overreaching as early Styx. The eighties lacked a lot of the fire power but the music sounded better thought out, lyrics are mostly on point and Geddy actually sings.

So they basically progressed? ;)