Are The Failures Of An Artist The Most Revealing ?? ( Suggestions Wanted )

Lucas

One artist I am curious about is Bob Dylan ..

Some of my favorite performers have covered his songs, and considering when he started, when he went electric, and all the different people he has inspired, there must be some experimenting in his catalog ..

Where do I start with Dylan ? ... What is "essential", and what would be considered his "Trans" or Music From The Elder" albums ??

• Like 1

Some of my favorite performers have covered his songs, and considering when he started, when he went electric, and all the different people he has inspired, there must be some experimenting in his catalog ..

Where do I start with Dylan ? ... What is "essential", and what would be considered his "Trans" or Music From The Elder" albums ??

Dear Lord, Dylan is a dizzying master with endless left turns.

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, Time Out of Mind, Modern Times. The Basement Tapes. Get 'em all. But there are tons of additional albums of equal measure.

He threw curve balls with albums like Self Portait, Saved, Under the Red Sky, Knocked Out Loaded. Again, there are tons of "failures", but they all contain bursts of brilliance.

Dylan is the epitome.

• Like 2

His first four albums are all solo- acoustic guitar, harmonica and vocal only. Self-titled, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, The Times They Are a Changin', and Another Side of Bob Dylan.

Starting with album number five, Bringing it All Back Home, is when he went electric for the first time on record. It was a shock to folk purists, for sure. Half of that album was still all acoustic, but the other half was full-band and electric.

But I wouldn't say he put out a Trans or Music From the Elder until the album Self Portrait, in 1970. That one was definitely a head-scratcher- but also contained some brilliant songs.

Start with Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1962) or Blood on the Tracks (1974)- the former contains a trove of his best-known songs, and the latter is one of the most accessible and creatively successful albums he ever made.

But Self Portrait is a wild card.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Failures can lead to comebacks. I love Neil Young. He's a master who follows his muse and takes chances. How can Neil Young not sound like Neil Young even when he's singing New Wave or Country or Rockabilly or whatever? Anyway, I like his 1980s "experiments". They are enjoyable diversions. But, what came after was Freedom and Ragged Glory. Sometimes "failures" lead to a purge that leads to a rebirth. If I appreciate an artist, I take it all.

This is me and Springsteen.

I like Neil Young. I've heard that Gold Rush album I think it's called and some wonderful singles/songs. Where is a good place to continue?

I think After the Gold Rush is his masterpiece. Personally, I also love Rust Never Sleeps. On the Beach, Freedom, Ragged Glory and Zuma. But Decade is a fantastic triple compilation album where every song is essential. Start there.

Yeah One the Beach, Tonights The Night and Time Fades Away, the Ditch Trilogy as it is called. Some of his darkest and most difficult music that came out of a very dark and difficult period. He tends to gloss over it, but personally I don't think he was ever better or more consistent throughout a string of albums. Zuma isn't part of the loose connection of these, consider it the album where he started to come out of his dark spot. He sorta went back to country after that, until he got raw again with Rust/Live Rust, et al.

Dear Lord, Dylan is a dizzying master with endless left turns.

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks, Blonde on Blonde, Time Out of Mind, Modern Times. The Basement Tapes. Get 'em all. But there are tons of additional albums of equal measure.

He threw curve balls with albums like Self Portait, Saved, Under the Red Sky, Knocked Out Loaded. Again, there are tons of "failures", but they all contain bursts of brilliance.

Dylan is the epitome.

I was writing at the same time you were!

I didn't go on with as many albums as you named, but I agree- Self Portrait being the first of several oddities in his catalog.

• Like 1

Rattle and Hum was U2 at their pretentious and sanctimonious worst. The album and movie served no purpose other than to show how impressed they were with themselves.

Yep. Produced a few live gems, though...like Silver & Gold.
  • Like 1

Rattle and Hum was U2 at their pretentious and sanctimonious worst. The album and movie served no purpose other than to show how impressed they were with themselves.

That was most certainly revealing!

Todd Rundgren- A Wizard, a True Star

This is the album that he made immediately following Something/Anything, which had been a big commercial (and artistic) success. His pop songcraft was really flourishing.

Then with A Wizard a True Star, he went a little bonkers...or maybe he was showing everybody that he was still a little bonkers, and actually always had been. It's an interesting album. And I really like it, honestly.

After breaking as a hard core punk band with albums like "Los Angeles" and"wild Gift", X put out "More Fun In The New World". The songs on the album were full of old time country influences, and featured more intricate guitar work. The album was reviled by punk fans, but I really liked it, and love it to this day.

I can sympathize with artists that get trapped by their commercial success...having to perhaps put aside creativity due to financial responsibiluties.

• Like 1

Lou Reed has put out a couple that might fall into this category. Metal Machine Music, for one, is definitely...ummm...different.

And then Magic and Loss I might also put here as well. It is at least musical (unlike the former album I just cited). I don't hear anybody talk about it, when talking about him...it is what most people would definitely call a downer of an album. But I think it's gorgeous.

Yeah thats a good example relating to the op thread, lou reeds metal machine.

Its been mentioned time and time again :beathorse: , but as its a Rush forum. Deep breath, sorry, lol

Vapor Trails is a polarizing album to Rush fans, the love or hate it debate. Considered a failure, with the artistic intent ; the guys addressed the tragic events, no guitar solos(save Earth shine) dense layered guitars and no keyboards, favoring vocals. And then the finished product itself, a mastered mess, clipped more times than a horticulturalist's privet. Recording it, according to the guys, a nightmare, like pulling teeth. A disaster, but for a reflection of the time, they were at, its perfect for me, for the mistakes subject and sentiment, reaffirm how human and vulnerable the guys are, and its done so well.

You have to seriously ask yourself, what other album in the Rush catalogue is as confrontational, emotionally, heart on the sleeve? Non, thankfully, some would say :D . For me this failure was a triumph, a necessary deviation from Rush's approach, that the time then, dictated.

• Like 2

Lou Reed has put out a couple that might fall into this category. Metal Machine Music, for one, is definitely...ummm...different.

And then Magic and Loss I might also put here as well. It is at least musical (unlike the former album I just cited). I don't hear anybody talk about it, when talking about him...it is what most people would definitely call a downer of an album. But I think it's gorgeous.

Yeah thats a good example relating to the op thread, lou reeds metal machine.

Its been mentioned time and time again :beathorse: , but as its a Rush forum. Deep breath, sorry, lol

Vapor Trails is a polarizing album to Rush fans, the love or hate it debate. Considered a failure, with the artistic intent ; the guys addressed the tragic events, no guitar solos(save Earth shine) dense layered guitars and no keyboards, favoring vocals. And then the finished product itself, a mastered mess, clipped more times than a horticulturalist's privet. Recording it, according to the guys, a nightmare, like pulling teeth. A disaster, but for a reflection of the time, they were at, its perfect for me, for the mistakes subject and sentiment, reaffirm how human and vulnerable the guys are, and its done so well.

You have to seriously ask yourself, what other album in the Rush catalogue is as confrontational, emotionally, heart on the sleeve? Non, thankfully, some would say :D . For me this failure was a triumph, a necessary deviation from Rush's approach, that the time then, dictated.

I completely agree! Great post!

He is so interesting it's hard to say.

Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, The Times they Are A changin', Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks.

And those are just the tip of his work, lol

Mick

Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, The Times they Are A changin', Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks.

Mick

I'm thinking of just diving into Dylan by purchasing his music decade by decade.

I've heard enough of him to know he's great. Start with the debut and finish with his music up to like 1973 and just soak it in.

Edit: just checked. 1970 might be a good stopping point to start.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Mick

I'm thinking of just diving into Dylan by purchasing his music decade by decade.

I've heard enough of him to know he's great. Start with the debut and finish with his music up to like 1973 and just soak it in.

he had a rough star in the 70's with Self-Portrait.

But there's gold in the 70's as well.

but i like your idea by decade......may be the best way.

Mick

Mick

he had a rough star in the 70's with Self-Portrait.

But there's gold in the 70's as well.

but i like your idea by decade......may be the best way.

Mick

Yeah I think so...coz picking albums here and there is a bit crazy...I think I need to enjoy his work in context. So...yeah I might just do this! His music isn't expensive (for once).

• Like 1

Mick

Blood on the Tracks is a masterpiece but yeah some of the 70's stuff is rough.