Rush dont do covers but if they did what songs should they do?

Steve Smith

Yours Is No Disgrace.

I don't hate Feedback as much as others - I think it was just something they had a bit of fun with. If I had been a bug in their ears, though, I would have tried to convince them to do something a bit more encompassing - do a couple of the psychedelic things, a Who tune and a couple of others, but then do a couple of 70s things - Tull and Yes - and then whatever was jazzing them by the late 70s and early 80s - Ultravox or whatever.

I started a thread a ways back about what could be on "Feedback II", focusing on prog stuff. I think I got a few serious answers.

Here it is

http://www.therushfo...hould-be-on-it/

Freaky...I started that thread almost exactly two years ago.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

9. Living Colour -- Information Overload

Good song, great band.

I don't think modern Geddy could sing it, I don't think any other Geddy would sound right singing it.

I would take Rush with Corey on vocals though.

Admittedly I was thinking of what the band could do with those songs, I like the differences in covers much more than the similarities. They'd have to change the key for Ged I guess.

In my head I was just listening to the band sans singer. I think they could have an interesting take on all of those.

• Like 1

Good song, great band.

I don't think modern Geddy could sing it, I don't think any other Geddy would sound right singing it.

Admittedly I was thinking of what the band could do with those songs, I like the differences in covers much more than the similarities. They'd have to change the key for Ged I guess.

In my head I was just listening to the band sans singer. I think they could have an interesting take on all of those.

Just had a thought: Living Colour covering Cygnus X-1. I think Corey could do an interesting version of Geddy's screams. To me, that sounds tastier than Rush's rendering of any Living Colour tune.

• Like 2

Good song, great band.

Just had a thought: Living Colour covering Cygnus X-1. I think Corey could do an interesting version of Geddy's screams. To me, that sounds tastier than Rush's rendering of any Living Colour tune.

Calhoun smoked Neil in that drum battle from the buddy rich tribute concert.. yup..I went there.. ha!

Good song, great band.

Calhoun smoked Neil in that drum battle from the buddy rich tribute concert.. yup..I went there.. ha!

I don't doubt it. Calhoun's an awesome drummer that's absolutely NEVER mentioned on TRF. Living Colour themselves are rarely mentioned matter of fact and that surprises me.

• Like 1

I'd like to hear them do the following Police songs...

Message in a Bottle

Synchronicity II

I almost said Synchronicity II, it's very close to being a Rush song. I went with Secret Journey, but I had to erase Synchronicity II in order to do so.

• Like 1

As it details in the cover Feedback was about the songs that they played when they starting out that's why its all late 60s stuff.I think its great.Yes they probably did it very quickly and err,rushed it but that's good and it was refreshing that they didn't spend half a century in the studio doing it.Any way something by Porcupine Tree may be.Alex did sneak a solo on one of there albums.

Rush have been performing pale copies of their own classic songs for years, their worst cover band is them. I think they should record some uninspired covers of bands that influenced them back in the day and call it Feedback.

I guess I thought the whole point of Feedback was to set up and play, the sort of thing they never do and haven't done for 40 years. Perhaps it was a vanity project, but I thought it was interesting.

I also agree with JohnnyBlaze in that despite the fact I like it I also don't bother listening to it much, probably because (as has been oft complained about) they didn't do anything special with the songs.

I think for me it was educational, like I learned something about the band.

• Like 1

Tony R - I am struggling to see your point of view here. I respect you have a right to give your opinion but I think that Rush have tried to innovate always. Look at the progression from the first album to 2112 and look at the progression from 2112 to Moving Pictures? Perhaps I just dont know enough about the band after the mid 80's I am happy to admit, maybe that is what you are talking about, I dont know.

Best Regards

Steve

Emerald, yes!!! Would not need twin lead. Alex could do a great version of that in a breeze. Not sure if Geddy's voice would suit singing it though. Him and Phil styles like chalk and cheese I think. Good call though

Neil has a very fluid style like Brian Downey

I guess I thought the whole point of Feedback was to set up and play, the sort of thing they never do and haven't done for 40 years. Perhaps it was a vanity project, but I thought it was interesting.

I also agree with JohnnyBlaze in that despite the fact I like it I also don't bother listening to it much, probably because (as has been oft complained about) they didn't do anything special with the songs.

I think for me it was educational, like I learned something about the band.

I put it in just a few songs ago actually. The originals ARE better but I find parts of this enjoyable.