Here we go again.. Rock Hall Nominees 2016

Xanadoood

Whether Green Day is or isn't good isn't the point. They weren't remotely innovative and pretty much every band they owed a massive debt to was still active when they started.

Obviously they took that sound and somehow hit the stratosphere with it, and I won't take that from them, but that's a mighty quick entry into the hall for a band that did nothing new.

And I like a lot of things they have done, I'm fine with them getting in. It's just tough to see a band sail in that added nothing new when bands that defined a genre still aren't in. (Like the Cure, though to be fair Siouxsie mattered nearly as much at getting things going, with Bauhaus slightly later.)

Green Day had a huge influence on a newer generation of "so-called" pop-punk groups. My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Panic! at The Disco all owe a huge debt for the nineties pop-punk spearheaded by Green Day for instance, especially in the category of their popularity and their ability to find an audience. Green Day didn't really do anything new, but they did take old things and do them in a really commercial and universally relatable way which helped to creat an audience for that brand of punk which many don't even consider to be punk but exists and matters nonetheless.

I wasn't discounting their influence so much as lamenting the fact that the bands that they sounded so much like were still not only active but still actively influencing other bands. Those predecessors to Green Day were ignored when Green Day rocketed to stardom. Like Bad Religion as the most obvious example.

But again, I'm not slamming Green Day, the fact that they did rocket away proves they're popularity, and no doubt a lot of people turned on to the scene after that.

But without adding anything new at all it seems wrong to get in so immediately when other bands that did more have to wait decades. I'm all for Green Day getting in, btw. Just odd how immediate it was, considering.

I can understand that, but you also have to consider the fact that the average joe knows nothing about Bad Religion, The Descendants, or other such bands which are maybe more deserving, while he probably knows Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and Green Days other biggest hits rather well, might even be able to identify their name or Billy as the lead singer. If they put in one of those bands, the average joe would react with confusion and ignorance, but when they put in Green Day everyone essentially knows who they're talking about and what they're getting put in for. Plus, many more people would clamor for Green Day's induction and make a big fuss if they didn't get put in the year they were eligible than do for Bad Religion and such.

Green Day are songwriting hacks. Blatant and obvious. There's not an original note or chord sequence in their repertoire. I like a song here or there, but that's an exception to the rule. I find their popularity and longevity baffling.

Well, original or not, they are the first place many of us have heard some of those melodies and ways of playing chord sequences (many great bands didn't often have original chord sequences, so I don't understand your argument there), and they play and sing them very well in their own collective voice. They are easy for me to love, songwriting hacks or not.

That's all well and fine. Appreciate Green Day all you want. It's all good. Personally, I find so much of their music insulting. Two songs nailed it for me - "Good Riddance" and "Warning" And the pandering spoon fed politics of American Idiot.

• Like 1

Whether Green Day is or isn't good isn't the point. They weren't remotely innovative and pretty much every band they owed a massive debt to was still active when they started.

Obviously they took that sound and somehow hit the stratosphere with it, and I won't take that from them, but that's a mighty quick entry into the hall for a band that did nothing new.

And I like a lot of things they have done, I'm fine with them getting in. It's just tough to see a band sail in that added nothing new when bands that defined a genre still aren't in. (Like the Cure, though to be fair Siouxsie mattered nearly as much at getting things going, with Bauhaus slightly later.)

Green Day had a huge influence on a newer generation of "so-called" pop-punk groups. My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Panic! at The Disco all owe a huge debt for the nineties pop-punk spearheaded by Green Day for instance, especially in the category of their popularity and their ability to find an audience. Green Day didn't really do anything new, but they did take old things and do them in a really commercial and universally relatable way which helped to creat an audience for that brand of punk which many don't even consider to be punk but exists and matters nonetheless.

I wasn't discounting their influence so much as lamenting the fact that the bands that they sounded so much like were still not only active but still actively influencing other bands. Those predecessors to Green Day were ignored when Green Day rocketed to stardom. Like Bad Religion as the most obvious example.

But again, I'm not slamming Green Day, the fact that they did rocket away proves they're popularity, and no doubt a lot of people turned on to the scene after that.

But without adding anything new at all it seems wrong to get in so immediately when other bands that did more have to wait decades. I'm all for Green Day getting in, btw. Just odd how immediate it was, considering.

I can understand that, but you also have to consider the fact that the average joe knows nothing about Bad Religion, The Descendants, or other such bands which are maybe more deserving, while he probably knows Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and Green Days other biggest hits rather well, might even be able to identify their name or Billy as the lead singer. If they put in one of those bands, the average joe would react with confusion and ignorance, but when they put in Green Day everyone essentially knows who they're talking about and what they're getting put in for. Plus, many more people would clamor for Green Day's induction and make a big fuss if they didn't get put in the year they were eligible than do for Bad Religion and such.

Green Day are songwriting hacks. Blatant and obvious. There's not an original note or chord sequence in their repertoire. I like a song here or there, but that's an exception to the rule. I find their popularity and longevity baffling.

Well, original or not, they are the first place many of us have heard some of those melodies and ways of playing chord sequences (many great bands didn't often have original chord sequences, so I don't understand your argument there), and they play and sing them very well in their own collective voice. They are easy for me to love, songwriting hacks or not.

That's all well and fine. Appreciate Green Day all you want. It's all good. Personally, I find so much of their music insulting. Two songs nailed it for me - "Good Riddance" and "Warning" And the pandering spoon fed politics of American Idiot.

Warning in particular is pretty much a rip off of a couple different songs, I have recognized that before. And Good Riddance is just so simplistic, but well written. I enjoy playing it, and people tend to enjoy hearing it. Oh well, I shall continue to enjoy them. Their new album is good.

• Like 1

Warning in particular is pretty much a rip off of a couple different songs, I have recognized that before. And Good Riddance is just so simplistic, but well written. I enjoy playing it, and people tend to enjoy hearing it. Oh well, I shall continue to enjoy them. Their new album is good.

I'm not knocking you for liking them. Enjoy them and appreciate them all you want. I just find them irritating. My basic point is they are a first ballot inductee while Yes, a band that contributed to defining a genre and that sounds like no other band, is on the outside looking in. Baffling.

• Like 2

I'm not knocking you for liking them. Enjoy them and appreciate them all you want. I just find them irritating. My basic point is they are a first ballot inductee while Yes, a band that contributed to defining a genre and that sounds like no other band, is on the outside looking in. Baffling.

Oh no I understood you weren't knocking me, I was just commenting on those two songs. I definitely do agree Yes should've been in there long ahead of Green Day.

I enjoyed listening to Green Day back when Dookie came out - I thought it was a great, welcome change from all the faux gloom of grunge .. Coming Clean, Sassafras Roots - great songs

But the ship sailed for me by the time American Idiot came out

Anyway,s I wasn't commenting so much on whether Green Day was any good - they are just not on the same level of so many other bands that will never even get a mention, let along first ballot induction

• Like 1

f***ing Chaka Khan possibly in?!!!

The Cure not possible?!!!

Green Day is like McDonald's. Cheap, recognizable shit.

I'll skip this crap like I do every year.

I just came to bitch for a second.

I know, right ??

And where does Shaun Cassidy stand with all this ??

• Like 1

Truly one of the worst most overrated shite bands in the Universe.

FUCKK GREEN SLAY!

GIVE ME FISHBONE!!!!!

THEY BELONG IN THE RNRHOF!!!!!!!!!

"IN THE REALIY OF MY SURROUNDINGS!"

• Like 2

f***ing Chaka Khan possibly in?!!!

The Cure not possible?!!!

Green Day is like McDonald's. Cheap, recognizable shit.

I'll skip this crap like I do every year.

I just came to bitch for a second.

HAHAHAHA!!!!! "Green Day is like McDonald's. Cheap, recognizable shit." One of the best posts ever on this Forum!!!!!

Dr. Suess can write better lyrics than GREEN DAY EGGS AND HAM!

• Like 2

So funny about many here on The Rush Forum!!

Never giving Jane's Addiction their respect.

A total Rush Forum Snafu!

I can see why the nomination might be a bit early in their career as the boys are still touring around playing "Habitual" all the way through. It was fuckking incredible. Oh and Fishbone opened for them here a few weeks ago.

EPIC

Jane's Addiction is one of the greatest bands in the world and they will get it in.

Just a matter of time!!!

'TED JUST ADMIT IT!!!" THEY ARE IN!!!!

PIGS IN ZEN BABY!

STEPHEN PERKINS RULES!!!!!

• Like 2

So funny about many here on The Rush Forum!!

Never giving Jane's Addiction their respect.

A total Rush Forum Snafu!

I can see why the nomination might be a bit early in their career as the boys are still touring around playing "Habitual" all the way through. It was fuckking incredible. Oh and Fishbone opened for them here a few weeks ago.

EPIC

Jane's Addiction is one of the greatest bands in the world and they will get it in.

Just a matter of time!!!

'TED JUST ADMIT IT!!!" THEY ARE IN!!!!

PIGS IN ZEN BABY!

STEPHEN PERKINS RULES!!!!!

Jane's Addiction is great but to me they don't seem that old...even though they've reached the time when they qualify.

Fame says

I'm done with rock n roll

I'll treat it like a rag doll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY

Do you have the time

To listen to me whine

About the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame?

I am one of those

Classic metal / prog rock snobs

Pretentious to the bone no doubt about it

Sometimes I check the nominees

Sometimes they make me quite angry

It all keeps adding up

The hall f***s it all up

And do I actually care?

Or am I just bored~

I went to the forum

To vent about it more

They said that the Hall was wrong, they agreed with (me)

I said, "Green Day sucks"

10 likes? Aw, thanks guys, shucks!

This unreasonable selection upsets (me)

Sometimes I check the nominees

Sometimes they make me quite angry

It all keeps adding up

The hall f***s it all up

And do I actually care?

No, I really don't~

Edited by Mr. Not

Robert Fripp, Brian Eno and Jeff Lynne all deserve recognition. If their respective bands don't get in they should as individuals. Hell, for producing alone.

Where's Roxy Music in all this? New Wave would not have happened without them.

It's so backwards. It's the same with Punk/ hardcore/ post Punk.. where is Husker du? The Replacements? The pixies? Sonic Youth? The Minuteman?

Is Television in?

:goodone: Bob Mould should be in for his influence on punk. Husker Du, Sugar, and his solo work. The man is amazing, and a tragically underrated guitarist.

All of those bands should have made the list before Jane's Addiction. :eyeroll:

This is why the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sucks. Green Day was a first ballot inductee. First ballad. Look at the bands listed above and let it sink in. First ballot.

They are one of the most enduring and beloved bands of the modern era.

I'm not a fan but I definitely agree with them being first ballot. Just glad to be honest that this Hall isn't close minded.

Every year they have a quirky list. Good on them! I doubt very few people every like or love every band on each list

• Like 2

Robert Fripp, Brian Eno and Jeff Lynne all deserve recognition. If their respective bands don't get in they should as individuals. Hell, for producing alone.

It's so backwards. It's the same with Punk/ hardcore/ post Punk.. where is Husker du? The Replacements? The pixies? Sonic Youth? The Minuteman?

Is Television in?

:goodone: Bob Mould should be in for his influence on punk. Husker Du, Sugar, and his solo work. The man is amazing, and a tragically underrated guitarist.

This is why the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sucks. Green Day was a first ballot inductee. First ballad. Look at the bands listed above and let it sink in. First ballot.

I'm not a fan but I definitely agree with them being first ballot. Just glad to be honest that this Hall isn't close minded.

Every year they have a quirky list. Good on them! I doubt very few people every like or love every band on each list

Yup, that about says it all ((in regards to the first sentence)). Hate them or not, they're just too popular to be shut out.

• Like 1

Is Television in?

Yup, that about says it all ((in regards to the first sentence)). Hate them or not, they're just too popular to be shut out.

Personally I'd put them in their before Yes. Green Day have been on top for close to three decades.

We can mock them or hate on them but you'd be an idiot to deny they must be doing something right.

f**k late 70s arena rock

As crap as most of that was, the size can't be denied. Those bands were absolutely massive. It's truly hard to understand how much if you were born decades after it all happened.

Bathory mistakes having extreme taste for being the only taste that matters.

• Like 1

f**k late 70s arena rock

As crap as most of that was, the size can't be denied. Those bands were absolutely massive. It's truly hard to understand how much if you were born decades after it all happened.

I'm not denying that people went out and bought those records. I'm of the mindset that influence on rock and music as a whole means more than sales. I'm not on the committee so who knows what they'll look at.

• Like 1

f**k late 70s arena rock

Bathory mistakes having extreme taste for being the only taste that matters.

my taste isn't extreme. it might be extreme on this forum because I think dead kennedys are better than foreigner...

• Like 1

Yep, Eno should have been in long ago

f**k late 70s arena rock

I'm not denying that people went out and bought those records. I'm of the mindset that influence on rock and music as a whole means more than sales. I'm not on the committee so who knows what they'll look at.

Surely they don't have a formula regarding what to look at...because all kinds of artists have entered and...not entered. It can't all be sales though. Look at how long it took for Kiss to enter. Most people here would agree that "influence on rock and music as a whole means more than sales" but then how do you measure influence? Bla bla bla.....

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Yep, Eno should have been in long ago

Jeez. I just assumed Eno had already been inducted years ago.