Here we go again.. Rock Hall Nominees 2016

Xanadoood

f**k late 70s arena rock

As crap as most of that was, the size can't be denied. Those bands were absolutely massive. It's truly hard to understand how much if you were born decades after it all happened.

I'm not denying that people went out and bought those records. I'm of the mindset that influence on rock and music as a whole means more than sales. I'm not on the committee so who knows what they'll look at.

Surely they don't have a formula regarding what to look at...because all kinds of artists have entered and...not entered. It can't all be sales though. Look at how long it took for Kiss to enter. Most people here would agree that "influence on rock and music as a whole means more than sales" but then how do you measure influence? Bla bla bla.....

yeah, it's a never ending circle of shit that makes zero sense. at the end of the day, jam what you like.

as far as measuring influence though, I just go by how many bands are around sounding like ____. but that's got its own issues - guys like zappa and beefheart are cited as an influence by countless artists, but how many artists sound like either of them? but we can turn on mainstream radio right now and figure out who listened to a lot of nirvana, who listened to a lot of pearl jam, etc. aaaa

• Like 1

I don't think influence necessarily means how a band or artist sounds. It has to do more with influencing how you do things. The Beatles were a huge influence on an incredible range of artists. The Monkees to Yes. The Bee Gees to Radiohead. A band like Television influenced R.E.M. and U2 and Sonic Youth. All these bands are unique. It's easy to sound like another band. It's more about inspiration.
  • Like 2

I don't think influence necessarily means how a band or artist sounds. It has to do more with influencing how you do things. The Beatles were a huge influence on an incredible range of artists. The Monkees to Yes. The Bee Gees to Radiohead. A band like Television influenced R.E.M. and U2 and Sonic Youth. All these bands are unique. It's easy to sound like another band. It's more about inspiration.

I don't agree. Your approach to this is too academic.

I think the important thing above all else is how someone responds emotionally to a song/album/artist. If millions do then I think that means as much if not more than merely starting something new.

Anyone can dislike something and call it generic or bland, but if millions are adoring and valuing the work of an artist and their music has helped make someone feel richer in life or understood, I think that should be taken into account.

Sounding like someone else is fine of your music has heart and soul. And it depends on each listener to decide for themselves if what they are listening too is worth it.

• Like 1

I think the important thing above all else is how someone responds emotionally to a song/album/artist. If millions do then I think that means as much if not more than merely starting something new.

Anyone can dislike something and call it generic or bland, but if millions are adoring and valuing the work of an artist and their music has helped make someone feel richer in life or understood, I think that should be taken into account.

Sounding like someone else is fine of your music has heart and soul. And it depends on each listener to decide for themselves if what they are listening too is worth it.

Sure. What you stated is part of it. Popularity counts. It's also deceiving. Again, like what you like. I enjoy tons of bands I don't think are worthy of pantheon inclusion.

Sure. What you stated is part of it. Popularity counts. It's also deceiving. Again, like what you like. I enjoy tons of bands I don't think are worthy of pantheon inclusion.

But many would think otherwise.

It will be interesting and sad to see who the hall is electing in 25 years based on current music trends

• Like 1

It will be interesting and sad to see who the hall is electing in 25 years based on current music trends

Safe to say you don't like Kendrick Lamar or Kanye West or Lady Gaga?

Gangam Style has over two billion views...put that guy in the Hall rite! :LOL:

Gangam Style has over two billion views...put that guy in the Hall rite! :LOL:

People seem to be connecting emotionally. So why not?!?!?!

• Like 1

Oh I know...I think that's why I defend Green Day.

Not many bands have made much impact so when they get slated I'm just like "but who else is there?".

Even Foo Fighters are generic and pretty bland...but both have killer songs and albums that moved an entire generation.

I was the American Idiot generation. Nothing came close to that album. A few years before there was Linkin Park, but since American Idiot? Not sure a single rock album has changed the rock scene. Even The Black Parade rode the coattails of American Idiot a bit too much...

Both bands are easy to hate but the fact is they offered an entire generation a band to believe in on a large scale. You can't take away the empowerment felt by millions of fans who were listening to this type of music for the first time.

• Like 2

Oh I know...I think that's why I defend Green Day.

Not many bands have made much impact so when they get slated I'm just like "but who else is there?".

Even Foo Fighters are generic and pretty bland...but both have killer songs and albums that moved an entire generation.

I was the American Idiot generation. Nothing came close to that album. A few years before there was Linkin Park, but since American Idiot? Not sure a single rock album has changed the rock scene. Even The Black Parade rode the coattails of American Idiot a bit too much...

Both bands are easy to hate but the fact is they offered an entire generation a band to believe in on a large scale. You can't take away the empowerment felt by millions of fans who were listening to this type of music for the first time.

Agreed. I'm just glad I have Muse to believe in, even if they will never be the majority favorite, they play and make records like they have been for decades.

No Judas Priest?? :wtf:

Of course not. Jann Wenner controls this shit and hates prog and metal thus no Yes, no Priest and years to get Rush and Deep Purple in. Even more pathetic it took like 10 years of eligibility for Sabbath to get in and all they did was pretty much create a new genre. Fukk Wenner.

• Like 2

Each is great. None are rock. They don't belong. And neither do any of the non-rock artists they've already inducted. Just my opinion based on the title of the establishment.

Sure, but those guys are almost ready for the senior citizen discount at the KFC. Who are recent that have a shot at such a noble honor. Of course I mean rock and/or musicians.

Edited by Prog snob

There have always been pop stars...always will. Bigger picture, rock and musicians in general aren't as large of the pie as they were or should be.

I'm not a Lady Gaga fan. She's not my cup of tea. But she is an accomplished musician.

Sure, but those guys are almost ready for the senior citizen discount at the KFC. Who are recent that have a shot at such a noble honor.

I actually agree. I'm not sure what new bands of the past decade have really been as big and impactful as Green Day or MCR within the rock genre enough to deserve a place in a RRHOF. I mean, my mind first goes to Imagine Dragons and Twenty-One Pilots...and it really shouldn't be doing that.

Sure, but those guys are almost ready for the senior citizen discount at the KFC. Who are recent that have a shot at such a noble honor.

I actually agree. I'm not sure what new bands of the past decade have really been as big and impactful as Green Day or MCR within the rock genre enough to deserve a place in a RRHOF. I mean, my mind first goes to Imagine Dragons and Twenty-One Pilots...and it really shouldn't be doing that.

Twenty-One Pilots aren't really rock... they're more hip-hop.

Twenty-One Pilots aren't really rock... they're more hip-hop.

They're more alternative (they certainly aren't hip hop though they have heavy dance music influences and rap a lot), and alt was originally a definable branch of rock (not anymore), thus my mind goes there. But again, it really shouldn't. I will be disappointed to see them go in yet I feel like that will happen. They don't really fit.

• Like 1

Sure, but those guys are almost ready for the senior citizen discount at the KFC. Who are recent that have a shot at such a noble honor. Of course I mean rock and/or musicians.

You missed my point entirely. I was saying these two are it.

Rap and hip-hop are legitimate rock and roll genres. :codger:

I've said an almost identical thing countless times on TRF and nobody ever replies. I don't even like rap/hip hop.

This board really likes to dissect the shit out of musical genres to the point where it looks tedious and overly rigid.

• Like 4