The Gush Over Rush Thread

Lorraine

I don't think that has anything to do with Rush. Custom55 says that whenever he goes to a concert these days the audience is dead with little to no enthusiasm.

Yeah but if you go see Tony Bennett that's kind of a given. ;)

I don't think that has anything to do with Rush. Custom55 says that whenever he goes to a concert these days the audience is dead with little to no enthusiasm.

Crowd reactions depend on who you're seeing and what kind of venue, average age of the audience, the type of music the band plays, if the sound in the venue is good, etc.

The two lamest crowds i've ever been a part of when seeing Rush were the two times I saw them in Toronto. You figured the hometown crowd would be going nuts, standing up and singing along to everything, NOPE. Most of them are just a bunch of lameos who are just there to have something to do and waiting for the band to play a song they know from the radio so they can stand up and cheer again.

It's a similar thing in the US for Rush as well now. But the crowds i've been a part of here have always been better and more receptive to Rush than the ones in their hometown.

European and South American crowds have always been known for their passionate responses at rock/metal shows. Just listen or watch Rush In Rio. The way the audience sings along with YYZ, that's how those crowds always are.

I'm taking this way off topic now though.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

But speaking of Rush In Rio, that dvd will always be very special to me.

And I don't care how many times it's been played, and I don't care who is sick of the song, I still think it's great, and it will always define Rush to me.

Just love that little smile on Geddy's face as he checks something in his pocket right before the song begins.

:wub:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

But speaking of Rush In Rio, that dvd will always be very special to me.

And I don't care how many times it's been played, and I don't care who is sick of the song, I still think it's great, and it will always define Rush to me.

Just love that little smile on Geddy's face as he checks something in his pocket right before the song begins.

:wub:

I think what he's doing is making sure the wireless is hooked up correctly to his bass.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Brucey, you really like the Rush of the 90's, don't you?

I love that song. The video has good sound but it isn't that clear. I wonder if the original is better. I've noticed when anyone uploads anything to Youtube, the video loses a lot of clarity.

• Like 1

I love that song. The video has good sound but it isn't that clear. I wonder if the original is better. I've noticed when anyone uploads anything to Youtube, the video loses a lot of clarity.

I'm not the biggest fan of their 90's albums, but I do like their live performances from that decade, if I were a half decent musician myself I could perhaps explain why! But I'm not, so the best explanation I can give is "I just do". :)

• Like 1

I'm not the biggest fan of their 90's albums, but I do like their live performances from that decade, if I were a half decent musician myself I could perhaps explain why! But I'm not, so the best explanation I can give is "I just do". :)

If you can ever figure out what you think they had in the nineties that makes you especially value their live performances from that decade, I would love to know.

Don't have time to go back over 31 pages to see if this has been mentioned, but I think there's some great performances on this boot - some great bass playing, nice and forward in the mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbup52pxTUA

Check out Geddy at 9:30 - that is f***ing awesome. All three of them are on fire.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

Don't have time to go back over 31 pages to see if this has been mentioned, but I think there's some great performances on this boot - some great bass playing, nice and forward in the mix.

Check out Geddy at 9:30 - that is f***ing awesome. All three of them are on fire.

This is a great show

Listening right now . .

• Like 2

This is a great show

Listening right now . .

It's one of my favorites from the very early days! So much energy in their playing and Geddy's voice is awesome. I used to have it on so much in the car that it turned my daughter into a Rush fan!

• Like 2

This is a great show

Listening right now . .

It's one of my favorites from the very early days! So much energy in their playing and Geddy's voice is awesome. I used to have it on so much in the car that it turned my daughter into a Rush fan!

I think that's what made them so appealing live back then. They had so much raw youthful energy and power in their playing. It just oozed out their pores, but in a good way. :)

• Like 2

If you can ever figure out what you think they had in the nineties that makes you especially value their live performances from that decade, I would love to know.

I think....it's the guitar, mainly. Something about it sounds a little different than normal, and a little better to my ears. The drum sound sounds more "full", it hasn't sounded like that since. The vocals are solid, high or low. That's the best I can offer!