The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Queen Yay Freddie Mercury John Deacon Brian May Brian May Rrrrrrrroger Taylor

• Please log in to reply
697 replies to this topic

#661 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

Modern Day Alice Cooper

• Members *
  • 16408 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

Started the year with "Jazz" as my first spin.

Can't believe it's been nearly 40 years...

...sounds as great today as it did then.

Sponsored Post

#662 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58785 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 12 December 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

View PostReRushed, on 12 December 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

Trying to argue that a circle is not round is the same as arguing that Sheer Heart Attack and Hot Space are not Queen's best albums. It is a fact. ReRushed has spoken.

Stevie Wonder could do it, :P https://en.wikipedia...n_Square_Circle

It is difficult to argue though, lol. I always appreciate enthusiasm for Queen's most unfairly hated record.
People hate Sheer Heart Attack?!?

As for that fairly hated album...  :P

#663 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58785 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

View PostThe Cat 3, on 01 January 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Started the year with "Jazz" as my first spin.

Can't believe it's been nearly 40 years...

...sounds as great today as it did then.
:ebert:

#664 Boots

Boots

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3215 posts
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

No one will ever replace Freddie, but I'm actually getting used to Adam Lambert being in this band. He's very talented.  He really killed it in his PLL cameo.

#665 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5033 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

View PostBoots, on 06 January 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

No one will ever replace Freddie, but I'm actually getting used to Adam Lambert being in this band. He's very talented.  He really killed it in his PLL cameo.

He SLAYS WWTLF live, like...almost better than Freddie did.

Just that one song though, but he's amazing nonetheless.

#666 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6313 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

Google Translate Bohemian Rhapsody.  Stick with it - there are some bizarre / funny bits.

#667 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17322 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

View Posttoymaker, on 25 January 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

Google Translate Bohemian Rhapsody.  Stick with it - there are some bizarre / funny bits.

i love this girl.  i'm subscribed.  she's fantastic.

She's has a beautiful voice.  goofy stuff aside.

Mick

#668 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5033 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:42 PM

Okay here's a mini topic: your favorite (maybe even like top 5 or top 10) performance by any or all of the members of the band.

For me, I'm Going Slightly Mad has to be one of Freddie's greatest achievements as a vocalist. And of course Somebody To Love and a bunch of other stuff, but I want to draw attention to the nuance on that Innuendo track. Incredible.

#669 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6313 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:01 AM

Mercury on Don't Try So Hard gets me every time.

Love Taylor's drum fill in Dead on Time

Deacon on Millionaire's Waltz

May on . . . geez, just about anything . . . but probably Prophet's Song most of all.

#670 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5033 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:44 AM

View Posttoymaker, on 09 February 2018 - 12:01 AM, said:

Mercury on Don't Try So Hard gets me every time.

Deacon on Millionaire's Waltz

May on . . . geez, just about anything . . . but probably Prophet's Song most of all.

As I went through my chronological collection of all of Queen's studio albums, I was always amazed how Mercury managed to surprise me with yet another unique and incredible vocal at least once on each album. For Innuendo that moment was Don't Try So Hard. Here I'd thought he'd lost that ability to sound so clean and smooth in full voice so high up, and yet not only did he still have it, but he laid down arguably the best showcase of that part of his voice on that song! Incredible!

Also Deacy on Millionaire Waltz makes the song. But then he kinda makes the entire ADATR album...and then if you're listening closely he honestly kinda makes most of Queen's catalogue. They don't have a lot of songs that wouldn't lose a lot of their effect and charisma with a different bassist. People always underestimate Deacy.

#671 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 17322 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

Mercury on Love of my life.  Just the way he vocalizes and harmonizzes with himself is breathtaking.

Deacon i agree on Millionaire Walz

Taylor...wow he's great on lots.  Liar, Keep yourself Alive, I'm in love with My car.  the ENTIRE Queen II album.

May.  Brighton Rock, Liar, Prophet' song and......my fav.....the astounding Good Company.  i mean.......that song.......DAMN.

Mick

#672 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5033 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:32 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 09 February 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

Mercury on Love of my life.  Just the way he vocalizes and harmonizzes with himself is breathtaking.

Taylor...wow he's great on lots.  Liar, Keep yourself Alive, I'm in love with My car.  the ENTIRE Queen II album.

May.  Brighton Rock, Liar, Prophet' song and......my fav.....the astounding Good Company.  i mean.......that song.......DAMN.

Mick

It's too easy to forget Love Of My Life being surrounded by so much other incredible material on ANATO, but that's easily one of Mercury's most beautiful vocals, agreed. Taylor in the 70s is so overlooked in favor of Bonzo, Keith, Peart, Collins, and the other regulars. Liar is an incredible example. Also, I know it's one of his simplest parts, but I actually love his work on Hammer To Fall, lol.

And of course May's guitar wizardry never ceases to amaze.

#673 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 4844 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:05 AM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 10 February 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

Mick

It's too easy to forget Love Of My Life being surrounded by so much other incredible material on ANATO, but that's easily one of Mercury's most beautiful vocals, agreed. Taylor in the 70s is so overlooked in favor of Bonzo, Keith, Peart, Collins, and the other regulars. Liar is an incredible example. Also, I know it's one of his simplest parts, but I actually love his work on Hammer To Fall, lol.

I always found that little drum intro with the echo/delay on it before Loser in the End to be incredibly catchy.
And the drumming on Death on Two Legs is full of good business.

Deacon is like the glue that holds everything together with that big fat tone. Slick bass player, smart musician. Some of his fills in Dragon Attack are pretty sweet.
Freddie always gets me in Under Pressure, the “why can’t we give ourselves one more chance” bit. Every f***in time.
May’s an excellent arranger and has awesome hair. :P

#674 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 4844 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:12 AM

His work on Jazz is quite interesting. The rhythm he uses in More of That Jazz is pretty tasty.

Edited by vaportrailer, 10 February 2018 - 05:12 AM.

#675 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 17322 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:21 AM

Mick

Ya know it's no secret that i prefer 70's Queen to 80's by a large margin.  but i LOVE Hammer to Fall.  that's a great song with a Fantastic hook.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000, 10 February 2018 - 11:21 AM.

#676 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5033 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:05 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 10 February 2018 - 05:05 AM, said:

Mick

I always found that little drum intro with the echo/delay on it before Loser in the End to be incredibly catchy.
And the drumming on Death on Two Legs is full of good business.

Deacon is like the glue that holds everything together with that big fat tone. Slick bass player, smart musician. Some of his fills in Dragon Attack are pretty sweet.
Freddie always gets me in Under Pressure, the “why can’t we give ourselves one more chance” bit. Every f***in time.
May’s an excellent arranger and has awesome hair. :P

Oh yeah! Loser In The End is one of Roger's most overlooked tunes for sure. That little xylophone in the beat cracks me up, but it's great. And Freddie just slays Under Pressure. Smart is a great way to describe John's playing.

And May's hair...ah yes, May's hair, :lol: I love it.

#677 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5033 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:07 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 10 February 2018 - 05:12 AM, said:

His work on Jazz is quite interesting. The rhythm he uses in More of That Jazz is pretty tasty.

More Of That Jazz and Fun It have awesome grooves. Easy to see how they got to Another One Bites The Dust and Dragon Attack on the next album.

#678 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5033 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 10 February 2018 - 11:21 AM, said:

Mick

Ya know it's no secret that i prefer 70's Queen to 80's by a large margin.  but i LOVE Hammer to Fall.  that's a great song with a Fantastic hook.

Mick

And that bridge is powerful too!

#679 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 17322 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

I love the fill's roger does in Death on Two Legs in between Was the Fin on your back part of the deal? and SHARK!!!!

you know the fills i'm talking about?

Mick

#680 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5033 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 10 February 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

I love the fill's roger does in Death on Two Legs in between Was the Fin on your back part of the deal? and SHARK!!!!

you know the fills i'm talking about?

Mick

I can hear them now! :lol: I'm aways so entertained by Freddie right there though that I've never really thought much about those fills, but now that I do they are very good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Queen, Yay, Freddie Mercury, John Deacon, Brian May Brian May, Rrrrrrrroger Taylor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users