The Royal QUEEN Discussion and Adoration Thread!

Entre_Perpetuo

What dental surgery did he need and never had?

If my voice was my livelihood, I wouldn't have taken a chance either.

I suppose it's assumed, but I do recall something in a documentary about his protruding teeth causing some grief.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-P6KIKl08Ouo/TmSCsmJBKKI/AAAAAAAAAD8/JHZyoiJ1fsg/s1600/tumblr_lqnasa4B9P1r2riy9o1_500.jpg

I don't understand why he didn't have them taken care of when he was young. He came from a wealthy family.

Man-oh-man, Freddie's vocal solo in the Sydney 85 show is pretty wild. Some of the highest notes I've heard him sing - around 25:45

https://www.youtube....h?v=LolZWpMFnAQ

Even when Freddie was dying, he still sounded phenomenal.

An amazing human being.

Freddie wasn't sick in 85, he was diagnosed with full blown AIDS in 87.
  • Like 1

Man-oh-man, Freddie's vocal solo in the Sydney 85 show is pretty wild. Some of the highest notes I've heard him sing - around 25:45

An amazing human being.

I know that.

You read what I wrote the wrong way.

Mercury's stage performance makes me laugh, too, but it really is a joyful, admiring laugh.

He wasn't serious, was he?

This, for some reason, made me think of when Sid Vicious walked in on a Queen recording session. I had to google it:

Queen and The Sex Pistols were recording albums in London's West End when Sid Vicious wandered into the wrong studio to find Mercury alone at the piano." "Ah, Freddie Mercury, still bringing ballet to the masses are you?" hissed Vicious. "Oh yes, Mr. Ferocious, dear," Mercury bit back. 'We are doing our best."

:LOL:

• Like 1

An amazing human being.

I know that.

You read what I wrote the wrong way.

Oh, sorry, my bad :doh:
  • Like 1

Montreal

Wembley

A Night At The Odeon

Pick one of the three.

To be fair, Wembley is Queen at their bells & whistles best. It's ALL there. And Freddie is as we remember him.

Montreal is great because the setlist is NUTS, Brian played with a bad dose of flu & it's a raw performance, Sheer Heart Attack is immense, plus you get I'm In Love with My Car & a timpani solo from Rog. IIRC, this DVD box also contains the immortal Live Aid performance.

Odeon, it's the vigour & passion of a young band that sells it, and the set.

So, of the 3, if I was to recommend, Wembley, by a hair over Montreal.

Hungarian Rhapsody is also pretty sweet, as is Live At The Rainbow.

Live In Rio, they were a bit under-par.

So, yes, Wembley.

• Like 2

Montreal

Wembley

A Night At The Odeon

Pick one of the three.

Montreal is my fav out of thoes.

Freddie in great voice

wonderful set.

only downside- Dead crowd. and Freddie calls them on it, lol

Wembley is great for the crowd.

but the setlist is just OK.......and Freddie's voice is pretty shot.

Never seen the thrid one.

Mick

• Like 1

How is Freddie's voice shot by the time of Wembley? He sounded good to me up to his last album. But I'm no Queen expert by any means.

Not challenging you. I'm not as up on Queen as I am on Rush.

i honestly don't know for sure why.

i think it was the last show or close to the last show of a long tour. also sadly the last tour in hindsight as. he was getting sick at the time........so that too.

but vocals aside, he was ever the showman at that concert.

Mick

• Like 2

No one, no one, can beat Freddie when it comes to being a showman. He loved that audience, and they loved him.

This was his best moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7m_VzpwNv8M

it really is amazing when you contrast that with offstage freddie. he was quite shy and Rarely gave 1 on 1 interviews.

go figure, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Freddie sings the sh!t out of this one, a nice little Roger Taylor rocker:

Lol, that's literally my least favorite Queen song ever. Approximately the only thing they ever put on a record that comes off as filler to me.

Freddie passed away 25 years ago yesterday. I found out on the news 25 years ago this morning.

FWIW, Queen On Air is out, all their BBC sessions and interviews. Some of the sessions are truly incendiary. A few have been available on bootleg for years esp the 1977 session & Golders Green 1973 gig, but they've been cleaned up & sound amazing.

8 tracks were originally on Queen At The Beeb.

• Like 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI3HqdnYmoo

Lol, that's literally my least favorite Queen song ever. Approximately the only thing they ever put on a record that comes off as filler to me.

Guess you haven't heard "Flash Gordon" or "Hot Space"!

I always liked the R Taylor tunes, for the most part, as they were pretty good rockers ("Modern Times Rock and Roll", "Sheer Heart Attack", and yes, "Coming Soon")!

• Like 1

Freddie passed away 25 years ago yesterday. I found out on the news 25 years ago this morning.

FWIW, Queen On Air is out, all their BBC sessions and interviews. Some of the sessions are truly incendiary. A few have been available on bootleg for years esp the 1977 session & Golders Green 1973 gig, but they've been cleaned up & sound amazing.

8 tracks were originally on Queen At The Beeb.

:rose:

I think I will make it a Queen day.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI3HqdnYmoo

Guess you haven't heard "Flash Gordon" or "Hot Space"!

I always liked the R Taylor tunes, for the most part, as they were pretty good rockers ("Modern Times Rock and Roll", "Sheer Heart Attack", and yes, "Coming Soon")!

Actually I have heard Hot Space, many times, and it's a very very underrated album with a plethora of good tracks and a few career highs. Only slightly worse than The Game. Flash Gordon is the only album I haven't heard in it's entirety (I managed to skip it in my chronological collection of every Queen studio album over the course of my four years of high school, yes I did that), but I have seen the Flash Gordon movie in it's entirety, and the soundtrack was easily the best part (not saying much). I love most of Roger's tracks too. More Of That Jazz, Tenement Funster, and Fight From The Inside are just a few examples of his great rockers. However, Coming Soon, for me, has always lacked any particularly interesting aspects and just doesn't rock enough or have enough to it for me to enjoy it as a simple rocker. It's catchy, and monotonous, that's all I really get out of it. I'm glad many people can enjoy it, but I am not among them.

QUEEN TOUR QUEEN TOUR QUEEN TOUR YIPEEEEEEE!!!!!!

http://www.queenonline.com/en/news-archive/press-release-queen-adam-lambert-announce-25-date-north-american-tour/

I'M GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I got the 6 CD On Air box for Christmas. It's excellent, interviews and all. I'd heard a number of the sessions before, sure, and the number of versions of Ogre Battle and Son And Daughter now on my iPod is kind of hilarious, but it's well worth it. Like someone said early the sessions are incendiary indeed, and the live bits are equally thrilling. Especially notable is It's Late, which has the weirdest possible bits of Get Down, Make Love surgically inserted into it to make it something like the epic I thought it would be when I first saw the run time on NOTW, lol. Anyway this is a great set and QUEEN REIGNS!!!!!

YES YES YES NORTH AMERICAN TOUR YES!!!!!

• Like 1