Best albums for a new fan?

Polaris

I'm not sure what the best album for a new fan would be but here are some songs that a new fan might like.

Blowin in the Wind - Bob Dylan

Call me the Breeze - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Against the Wind - Bob Seger

The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the best album for a new fan would be but here are some songs that a new fan might like.

Blowin in the Wind - Bob Dylan

Call me the Breeze - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Against the Wind - Bob Seger

The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix

I love all those songs but what do they have to do with Rush?

The Big 3

A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves

And then 2112

THIS!

Don't listen to anyone else :)

That's a highly questionable "Big 3".

The Big 3

A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves

And then 2112

THIS!

Don't listen to anyone else :)

That's a highly questionable "Big 3".

Not according to the majority of people here. ;)

• Like 1

Everything from 2112 to Signals. Just go buy them all. Absorb them. Live them. Sleep with them. Go ahead. Put them under your pillow and absorb them thru osmosis.

Yep. As much as I still love the earlier stuff and Grace Under Pressure these are the holy grail and the best of the best no doubt.... :codger:

Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves and 2112. In that order.

I would agree with these 3 1st but I would change the order up a bit. I would go with the chronlogical order

Permenant Waves

Moving Pictures

and I would add

Signals

You may also want to get a compilation album such as Chronicals, Spirit Of Radio or the Retrospect albums (if you can find them any more) These albums all have the more "popular" songs but would be a good guide for a new fan. When you heard a song you really connect with, you can see what album it came from and go from there. But make sure you listen to everything good and thorough as we used to say in the old daze give it a few spins. you will find your favorites will ebb and flow over time. Meaning songs you go meh to 1st will end up being your favorite after time goes by. An example of mine is Countdown which was the bane of Signals to me for many years then one day it hit me just right and for years it has been of my favs.

Enjoy it all my friend it is all a magnificent body of work :Alex: :Neil: :geddy: :rush:

No I prefer my order. If I started with 2112, it wouldn't have worked out.

• Like 1

Everything from 2112 to Signals. Just go buy them all. Absorb them. Live them. Sleep with them. Go ahead. Put them under your pillow and absorb them thru osmosis.

Yep. As much as I still love the earlier stuff and Grace Under Pressure these are the holy grail and the best of the best no doubt.... :codger:

I think Grace is decent but I wouldnt steer a new listener to them. I think its a bit of an anomaly in the catalog to be honest. And I also think its only half good. He half that is good is amazing. Lenses/Gloves really do suck.

Signals will probably be a good idea but I would not be in a Rush to get it (pun intended).

I think Grace is decent but I wouldnt steer a new listener to them. I think its a bit of an anomaly in the catalog to be honest. And I also think its only half good. He half that is good is amazing. Lenses/Gloves really do suck.

Agreed in bold. I totally agree that you have to do it in order to really "get it". Someone I believe suggested to start with the Debut and keep going. I consider that great advice as well. I started in 76' with the best (ATWAS) and then worked back to the studio works and waited for AFTK to be released. It worked wonderfully for me but it might not for others... :codger:

Yesterday, I bought A Farewell To Kings. I'll listen to it later. Tomorrow I'll order Caress Of Steel, 2112, Permanent Waves, Grace Under Pressure, and Presto. I might squeeze in Power Windows.

I recommend 2112, Grace Under Pressure and Vapor Trails [remixed] at this point.

I think a lot of people have and will recommend the older material, and don't get me wrong, it's great material. However, I discovered Rush as a 13 year old in 2003, and having access to their entire catalog didn't box me into an, "Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad" place like I think many fans who grew chronologically with the band are.

Edited by New World Kid

Yesterday, I bought A Farewell To Kings. I'll listen to it later. Tomorrow I'll order Caress Of Steel, 2112, Permanent Waves, Grace Under Pressure, and Presto. I might squeeze in Power Windows.

Well you have the best now anyway. I will never forget buying AFTK the day of release and racing home to listen to it. Greatness. The rest you are getting are mostly great too. Would be curious your opinion of Presto if you get it however... :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Well you have the best now anyway. I will never forget buying AFTK the day of release and racing home to listen to it. Greatness. The rest you are getting are mostly great too. Would be curious your opinion of Presto if you get it however... :codger:

I remember going out and buying AFTK too. It was a month or so after it had been released but I remember it distinctly.

• Like 1

Leave Presto till last and then you'll understand why it's one of the least liked albums.

Or you can listen to it with an open mind and you just might like it. Ya never know.

• Like 1

Leave Presto till last and then you'll understand why it's one of the least liked albums.

Or you can listen to it with an open mind and you just might like it. Ya never know.

yes of course an open mind, but still listen to it last. Easier to compare that way.

:moose: Presto :moose:
  • Like 1