• Open Secrets
    • Second Nature
    • Prime Mover
    • Lock and Key
    • Mission
    • Turn the Page
    • Tai Shan
    • High Water

Stick It Out. Seems to get a lot of flack for some reason but it's one of my favorites from the album.
  • Like 1

I believe every song on this album is a 10/10. One of my desert island discs, so I go for either Tai Shan or High Water.

Every song on this album means more to me than any from the seventies, bar 2112, Bastille Day and AFTK.

• Like 1

Stick It Out. Seems to get a lot of flack for some reason but it's one of my favorites from the album.

Stick It Out hurts like three month long constipation.

It is also on Counterparts.

• Like 2

Well, you have to admit it doesn't fit in real well stylistically with the other songs on HYF.

• Like 3

I like Stick it Out, but I also had to 'like' your assessment of it.

:LOL:

• Like 1

Well, you have to admit it doesn't fit in real well stylistically with the other songs on HYF.

That is very true.

• Like 1

The funny thing is, Segue's favorite artist, Springsteen, developed his trademark singing style 11 weeks through a 3 month bout of constipation.

• Like 2

The funny thing is, Segue's favorite artist, Springsteen, developed his trademark singing style 11 weeks through a 3 month bout of constipation.

He turned constipation into an art form.

Takes guts to do that.

Even if they aren't working properly.

Yeah, it's a very heavy song. One of the heaviest songs they've ever done.

I went with Mission. Most people underestimate how somnolently Fogelbergian this song really is.

But Tai Shan would be the most underrated in the traditional sense. Most people have it at the bottom of their list of all Rush songs when Half the World is clearly the biggest POS they ever put out.

picked up on the sarcasm but still trying to work out what somnolently fogelbergian means.

• Like 1

I voted Second Nature. The lyrics are brilliant and it's just an awesome mellow song.

I also think Open Secrets is underrated but it's been getting some love on this forum so it's perhaps not the MOST underrated.

• Like 2

I went with Mission. Most people underestimate how somnolently Fogelbergian this song really is.

But Tai Shan would be the most underrated in the traditional sense. Most people have it at the bottom of their list of all Rush songs when Half the World is clearly the biggest POS they ever put out.

picked up on the sarcasm but still trying to work out what somnolently fogelbergian means.

How about: "contains all the elements to be considered for heavy rotation at your local dentist's office's Muzak service."?

I believe every song on this album is a 10/10. One of my desert island discs

yes please take all the Hold Your Nose albums to a desert island for us...far, far away.

• Like 2

I believe every song on this album is a 10/10. One of my desert island discs

yes please take all the Hold Your Nose albums to a desert island for us...far, far away.

Eat My Poo.

I have missed saying that!

• Like 1

I voted Second Nature. The lyrics are brilliant and it's just an awesome mellow song.

I also think Open Secrets is underrated but it's been getting some love on this forum so it's perhaps not the MOST underrated.

Yes I was thinking the same....Second Nature it is

The entire album is very, very underrated. Its one of Rush's best.

That being said, I voted for Tai Shan. It has not been played live in concert (unlike many of the other wonderful songs on the album) and it certainly does not get the love it deserves from either the group or the fans. Like almost everything else on the album its a wonderful piece of musical art.

Was tempted to vote for Time Stand Still. IMO its Rush's 3rd best song of all. However, it has been plaid live, got radio air play back when the album came out and the video got played on MTV back in the day.

Love the album!!!

• Like 1

That being said, I voted for Tai Shan. It has not been played live in concert (unlike many of the other wonderful songs on the album) and it certainly does not get the love it deserves from either the group or the fans. Like almost everything else on the album its a wonderful piece of musical art.

Was tempted to vote for Time Stand Still. IMO its Rush's 3rd best song of all. However, it has been plaid live, got radio air play back when the album came out and the video got played on MTV back in the day.

Love the album!!!

I agree with everything you said until Tai Shan. Tai Shan is only audible to those without ears. Yet the whole album, despite Tai Shan, and the so/so Second Nature, is fantastic, and is in my top five RUSH albums if not top 3.

Edited by DistantEarlySignals

Love the album!!!

I agree with everything you said until Tai Shan. Tai Shan is only audible to those without ears. Yet the whole album, despite Tai Shan, and the so/so Second Nature, is fantastic, and is in my top five RUSH albums if not top 3.

Tai Shan is great.

The hate on this song is a pathetic joke.

• Like 1

Love the album!!!

Tai Shan is great.

even if rush members themselves say it blows and was, paraphrasing, a mistake?

6129' post='3663296'][/size]

Love the album!!!

Tai Shan is great.

Why should their opinion matter to me, or you?

Without any bias, or pretence, or blinded by fanboyism, I can honestly say I love Tai Shan and if they never said anything hardly anyone would care to keep slating it all the time. It isn't overplayed, it isn't a fan favourite, it isn't even the most popular song from HYF, so why does it keep being raked over the coals?

All this hating on it is pretty lame. One or two people say they love it and fifty have to come out and Scream that it is rubbish.

Edited by Segue Myles

The album as a whole is grossly underrated (except for High Water…that's not great), but Tai Shan is more so. Everyone likes to hate on it, but I love it! It's different…light, airy, very un-Rush. But good nonetheless.
  • Like 2

Love the album!!!

Tai Shan is great.

Actually the bands position on the song helps to make my point about the song being very underrated. Thanks for bringing it up!!!

To me, every song on the album is either very strong or great. Basically a 4 or 5 stars out of a possible 5. Well, High Water is only ok - its a 3 stars out of 5.

Again, IMO, this is an album with some of Neil's most interesting lyrics (note I said some - that does mean that he has some equally good lyrics on other albums) and the music goes very well with the lyrics and the album hangs together. It flows - for lack of a better phrase. If you believe it flows down the toilet that's fine - that's your opinion and it cool. Obviously I don't think that.

So, you have a bunch of really good songs that fit together with Tai Shan and High Water at the end of the album. High Water is ok but nothing great. It also does not get the dislike from fans that Tai Shan does.

Tai Shan is a song that the band does not like, which a lot of fans don't love and which will never get airplay. But its not like many Rush songs and, to me, the music fits perfectly with the lyrics to create a certain mood. Now I must confess that I do like some traditional Chinese music (I am English, Scot, Irish and German by background and my family has been in the US since the 1800's on the Irish and German sides, since the 1700's on the English and Scot side so its not like I have any Chinese roots and I have never been there - just like the music) so that may influence my feelings. But it works for me.

When you factor in the fact that the song works for me, the lack of fan love and the feelings about the song from the band it is an easy pick for me as the most underrated HYF song.

But its not the best song on the album. Its darn good but not close to being the best on the album.