Hemispheres vs Close to the Edge

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Poll: Hemispheres vs Close to the Edge (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Which do you prefer?

1. Hemispheres (35 votes [67.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.31%

2. Close to the Edge (17 votes [32.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

View PostStormtron, on 22 June 2015 - 04:42 PM, said:

I'm not even gonna act like I've listened to all of the live shit, but my favorite Dead studio albums are the three Grateful Dead Records albums...Wake of the Flood, From the Mars Hotel, and Blues for Allah. If you wanna jump right into the live material try Dick's Picks Vol. 4.

I'm going thru a serious live GD phase right now. Bring it on!!

Sponsored Post

#142 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 22 June 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

The Dead for me I like

Workingman's Dead
American Beauty
Wake of the Flood
Terrapin Station
In the Dark

Thats a pretty good cross section of albums but the real good music is the live stuff..
Live Dead
Europe '72
Bear's Choice
Reckoning
Without a Net

Anthem of the Sun is a hybrid studio/live album, sort of the peak of the psychedelic years for me.

All great recommendations/records...Segue, the one I'd recommend to you the most highly is Terrapin Station (1977). If you can forgive a very kitschy disco cover of Dancing in the Streets...the other things there are really nice. The title track is a 16-minute side-long suite. Great stuff.

They really excelled as a live band...but again, I understand it's not for everyone.

#143 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:10 PM

View PostStormtron, on 22 June 2015 - 04:42 PM, said:

I'm not even gonna act like I've listened to all of the live shit, but my favorite Dead studio albums are the three Grateful Dead Records albums...Wake of the Flood, From the Mars Hotel, and Blues for Allah. If you wanna jump right into the live material try Dick's Picks Vol. 4.

I also love Wake of the Flood and Blues for Allah in particular! For a newbie, I definitely would not recommend the latter as a starting point, though.

#144 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:23 PM

View PostLorraine, on 22 June 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 22 June 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

I'm watching the Yessongs DVD (Rainbow '72) and as much as I love Yes, there's a real sort of sonic mess on this thing.  And You and I sounds pretty awful.  It's a pretty crappy sounding DVD anyway, but I think some of their stuff was almost too complex for them to do justice to on stage in 72?  Close to the Edge is next up.

You never heard Close To The Edge before?

I've been listening to that album since I was about 13, when my brother introduced it to me.  I just can't remember how that song sounds on this DVD because I haven't watched it in a while.  It's not bad so far.  Better than "And You and I," anyway.

#145 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10260 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

View PostBlue J, on 22 June 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

The Dead for me I like

Workingman's Dead
American Beauty
Wake of the Flood
Terrapin Station
In the Dark

Thats a pretty good cross section of albums but the real good music is the live stuff..
Live Dead
Europe '72
Bear's Choice
Reckoning
Without a Net

Anthem of the Sun is a hybrid studio/live album, sort of the peak of the psychedelic years for me.

All great recommendations/records...Segue, the one I'd recommend to you the most highly is Terrapin Station (1977). If you can forgive a very kitschy disco cover of Dancing in the Streets...the other things there are really nice. The title track is a 16-minute side-long suite. Great stuff.

They really excelled as a live band...but again, I understand it's not for everyone.

I mainly just go for the big jam songs. Dark Star, Half-Step, He's Gone, Truckin, Playin', China Cat>Rider, Scarlet>Fire, Eyes of the World, etc..

#146 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 06:30 PM

View PostDigital Dad, on 22 June 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 22 June 2015 - 05:07 PM, said:

The Dead for me I like

Workingman's Dead
American Beauty
Wake of the Flood
Terrapin Station
In the Dark

Live Dead
Europe '72
Bear's Choice
Reckoning
Without a Net

I mainly just go for the big jam songs. Dark Star, Half-Step, He's Gone, Truckin, Playin', China Cat>Rider, Scarlet>Fire, Eyes of the World, etc..

I love ALL of those...but I'm trying to keep Segue's tastes in mind, in terms of a first step for him. ;)

#147 pjbear05

pjbear05

Rushaholic

• Members *
  • 1588 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:45 PM

CttE, no contest.

#148 driven_to_xanadu

driven_to_xanadu

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:Rush,History, Progressive Rock, Movies, Football, Long Distance Cycling, Travelling, Reading, Science Fiction, Ice Hockey, Fitness

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:45 AM

Close To The Edge wins for me....that's a hard album to top really and I mean for any band.

Hemispheres is an impressive album but not Rush's best (unpopular opinion on here).

#149 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:52 AM

As I've said, I do love Close to the Edge- it's a great album. Leading off with that title track, and what that music is, in it...it is particularly daring. And You and I is gorgeous, and Siberian Khatru is a wonderful instrumental, with fantastic interplay.

However...I don't understand how it is that it completely blows Hemispheres out of the water, as several people here have said. I've said that comparing the two albums kind of makes me :huh: A square-peg-round-hole kind of proposition. They're both excellent on their own merits. And I do prefer Hemispheres, between the two.

But for those who prefer Yes, and who say it's not even close...why is that? Can you describe what it is about it?

There must be something that I'm just not hearing; I don't know.

#150 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:28 AM

hemispheres! but I've got them both at a 5/5 and CTTE beats all but 2 rush albums.

rush was my introduction to prog rock and I remember thinking, man, this is really unique stuff! and then shortly after I heard the old yes and genesis records and I was like, "oh, so it's not just led zeppelin they're ripping off...."

#151 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:33 AM

I prefer hemispheres because it's the best combo of hard rock and that 1971/72/73 prog sound out there

#152 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:12 AM

View PostBlue J, on 23 June 2015 - 05:52 AM, said:

As I've said, I do love Close to the Edge- it's a great album. Leading off with that title track, and what that music is, in it...it is particularly daring. And You and I is gorgeous, and Siberian Khatru is a wonderful instrumental, with fantastic interplay.

However...I don't understand how it is that it completely blows Hemispheres out of the water, as several people here have said. I've said that comparing the two albums kind of makes me :huh: A square-peg-round-hole kind of proposition. They're both excellent on their own merits. And I do prefer Hemispheres, between the two.

But for those who prefer Yes, and who say it's not even close...why is that? Can you describe what it is about it?

Just because you don't understand it doesn't change anything for those of us who do.  :)  

There's a lot I don't understand here in terms of the musical taste of others.  But...so what??  It doesn't take away or add to anything.

#153 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:26 AM

Well, I wasn't attempting to change anything for anyone else. But okay.

I was just trying to further the discussion of these two incredible records, that's all.

#154 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostLorraine, on 23 June 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 23 June 2015 - 05:52 AM, said:

Just because you don't understand it doesn't change anything for those of us who do.  :)  

There's a lot I don't understand here in terms of the musical taste of others.  But...so what??  It doesn't take away or add to anything.
For me and its hard to explain its about "beautiful" music that moves you to emotion and a epic "rock" album. As I said I can't explain it well but its almost to me like "classical" vs "rock". I don't know what I am trying to say. Geez... :)

#155 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

I kind of get that- I've thought of Yes's arrangements as more intricate for all of the musicians involved, and the sound that results from all of them making that music together as more intricate, too- because there are anywhere from five to eight people involved, as opposed to the trio that Rush has always been.

#156 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42114 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

You are talking, at least it seems that way to me, about music taste, and who can explain that?  I would love to get to the bottom of it myself.  Why does JARG think The Weapon is without soul and I think it is phenomenal?  Why does someone not like Xanadu?  Why does BowlCity think Counterparts is the most excellent Rush album?  

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Someday an interviewer ought to ask Rush what they think of CTTE.  I'd like to know myself.  :)

#157 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27720 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostBlue J, on 23 June 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

I kind of get that- I've thought of Yes's arrangements as more intricate for all of the musicians involved, and the sound that results from all of them making that music together as more intricate, too- because there are anywhere from five to eight people involved, as opposed to the trio that Rush has always been.
The other thing is that dang pipe organ. It gets to me every time it gradually comes in in Close To The Edge. It brings up pleasant memories of my mother playing it in church when I was a youth. The grandiosity of that instrument just gets to me and it is all over Going For The One which is really my favorite Yes album to be honest...

#158 Tick

Tick

Mr: 26,000!!!

• Members *
  • 26346 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostDr. Sheldon Cooper, on 16 June 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

Hemisphere's is a great album, but it's not even Rush's best album.  It may not even be their best Prog Rock album.
Says who? I would say its the best prog record and at the top of the list overall. I can't pick a favorite anymore but at one time it was Hemispheres.

#159 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

View PostLorraine, on 23 June 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

You are talking, at least it seems that way to me, about music taste, and who can explain that?  I would love to get to the bottom of it myself.  Why does JARG think The Weapon is without soul and I think it is phenomenal?  Why does someone not like Xanadu?  Why does BowlCity think Counterparts is the most excellent Rush album?  

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Someday an interviewer ought to ask Rush what they think of CTTE.  I'd like to know myself.  :)

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I was just thinking that to say one album is so much better than another that it's not even a contest, not even close (which a few people have said, here, about CTTE)- just seems there would be some specific reasons as to why they're so far apart from one another in quality.

I think they're both great. :)

#160 Blue J

Blue J

• Members *
  • 17667 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

View PostNarps, on 23 June 2015 - 11:49 AM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 23 June 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

The other thing is that dang pipe organ. It gets to me every time it gradually comes in in Close To The Edge. It brings up pleasant memories of my mother playing it in church when I was a youth. The grandiosity of that instrument just gets to me and it is all over Going For The One which is really my favorite Yes album to be honest...

Yes, I remember what you've said about the pipe organ. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users