Hemispheres vs Close to the Edge

Brucey

Hemispheres vs Close to the Edge  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

As I've said, I do love Close to the Edge- it's a great album. Leading off with that title track, and what that music is, in it...it is particularly daring. And You and I is gorgeous, and Siberian Khatru is a wonderful instrumental, with fantastic interplay.

However...I don't understand how it is that it completely blows Hemispheres out of the water, as several people here have said. I've said that comparing the two albums kind of makes me :huh: A square-peg-round-hole kind of proposition. They're both excellent on their own merits. And I do prefer Hemispheres, between the two.

But for those who prefer Yes, and who say it's not even close...why is that? Can you describe what it is about it?

There must be something that I'm just not hearing; I don't know.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't change anything for those of us who do. :)

There's a lot I don't understand here in terms of the musical taste of others. But...so what?? It doesn't take away or add to anything.

Well, I wasn't attempting to change anything for anyone else. But okay.

I was just trying to further the discussion of these two incredible records, that's all.

As I've said, I do love Close to the Edge- it's a great album. Leading off with that title track, and what that music is, in it...it is particularly daring. And You and I is gorgeous, and Siberian Khatru is a wonderful instrumental, with fantastic interplay.

However...I don't understand how it is that it completely blows Hemispheres out of the water, as several people here have said. I've said that comparing the two albums kind of makes me :huh: A square-peg-round-hole kind of proposition. They're both excellent on their own merits. And I do prefer Hemispheres, between the two.

But for those who prefer Yes, and who say it's not even close...why is that? Can you describe what it is about it?

There must be something that I'm just not hearing; I don't know.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't change anything for those of us who do. :)

There's a lot I don't understand here in terms of the musical taste of others. But...so what?? It doesn't take away or add to anything.

For me and its hard to explain its about "beautiful" music that moves you to emotion and a epic "rock" album. As I said I can't explain it well but its almost to me like "classical" vs "rock". I don't know what I am trying to say. Geez... :)
  • Like 2

I kind of get that- I've thought of Yes's arrangements as more intricate for all of the musicians involved, and the sound that results from all of them making that music together as more intricate, too- because there are anywhere from five to eight people involved, as opposed to the trio that Rush has always been.

You are talking, at least it seems that way to me, about music taste, and who can explain that? I would love to get to the bottom of it myself. Why does JARG think The Weapon is without soul and I think it is phenomenal? Why does someone not like Xanadu? Why does BowlCity think Counterparts is the most excellent Rush album?

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Someday an interviewer ought to ask Rush what they think of CTTE. I'd like to know myself. :)

• Like 1

I kind of get that- I've thought of Yes's arrangements as more intricate for all of the musicians involved, and the sound that results from all of them making that music together as more intricate, too- because there are anywhere from five to eight people involved, as opposed to the trio that Rush has always been.

The other thing is that dang pipe organ. It gets to me every time it gradually comes in in Close To The Edge. It brings up pleasant memories of my mother playing it in church when I was a youth. The grandiosity of that instrument just gets to me and it is all over Going For The One which is really my favorite Yes album to be honest...
  • Like 1

Hemisphere's is a great album, but it's not even Rush's best album. It may not even be their best Prog Rock album.

Says who? I would say its the best prog record and at the top of the list overall. I can't pick a favorite anymore but at one time it was Hemispheres.

• Like 1

You are talking, at least it seems that way to me, about music taste, and who can explain that? I would love to get to the bottom of it myself. Why does JARG think The Weapon is without soul and I think it is phenomenal? Why does someone not like Xanadu? Why does BowlCity think Counterparts is the most excellent Rush album?

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Someday an interviewer ought to ask Rush what they think of CTTE. I'd like to know myself. :)

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I was just thinking that to say one album is so much better than another that it's not even a contest, not even close (which a few people have said, here, about CTTE)- just seems there would be some specific reasons as to why they're so far apart from one another in quality.

I think they're both great. :)

The other thing is that dang pipe organ. It gets to me every time it gradually comes in in Close To The Edge. It brings up pleasant memories of my mother playing it in church when I was a youth. The grandiosity of that instrument just gets to me and it is all over Going For The One which is really my favorite Yes album to be honest...

Yes, I remember what you've said about the pipe organ. :)

CTTE sound like a movie soundtrack to me, which is fine. But Hemispheres is just full on rock.

That will work... :)
  • Like 1

I can see the appeal of Yes, but they are one band that I thought was interesting back in the 70s but for me has not aged very well.

I'll say. Steve Howe was turning into Don Knotts at one point, but now he's shape shifting into Gollum.

Bill Bruford also became strangely Don Knottsian as he aged. Maybe it's a Yes curse: "you will make fantastic music, but some of you will turn into Don Knotts."

[Apparently my DK/SH images are cursed. Google Image will have to take your questions.]

CTTE rules, btw :)

Edited by vaportrailer

I can see the appeal of Yes, but they are one band that I thought was interesting back in the 70s but for me has not aged very well.

I'll say. Steve Howe was turning into Don Knotts at one point, but now he's shape shifting into Gollum.

Bill Bruford also became strangely Don Knottsian as he aged. Maybe it's a Yes curse: "you will make fantastic music, but some of you will turn into Don Knotts."

That's also true, but I wasn't talking about their looks, but the way their music has not aged very well. It sounds like it's stuck in the 70s. They didn't evolve that well.

Edited by EagleMoon

That's also true, but I wasn't talking about their looks, but the way their music has not aged very well. It sounds like it's stuck in the 70s. They didn't evolve that well.

lol, I knew what you meant, I was just funnin'!

I saw Yes in '88 and was still quite entertained. They did Heart of the Sunrise which was worth the ticket price. They were way louder than I ever would've thought!

• Like 1

For me it's still CTTE. But there is a contest! It's close really. Both great albums (though side 1 of Hemi is a bit overrated on this board).

Maybe I would put 70's Yes on a same level with 70's Rush. But overall Rush beats Yes. My fave Rush album PeW equals my fave Yes album CTTE. Classic Yes albums The Yes Album, Fragile and Relayer are slightly behind my top 4 Rush albums (PeW, Hemi, AFTK and MP).

• Like 1