That Metal Thread

SABATON - I had heard the name many times before but never heard anything from them until I saw them open for Nightwish last month. They put on a great energetic show and i've been really digging them since then. Most of their songs are about war and various historical battles. They don't have a lot of musical variety but what they do, they do very well.

I like that metal show. It may not be the way you would do it but without that show there would be nothing about hard rock/metal on tv period. I like the fact that they are starting to include some newer acts in the show. When you look at popular radio, culture and the awards shows I would think that this would be the kind of show most members could get into.

Trunk has a free podcast that comes out every Thursday that I recommend. He devotes a little time every week to his pet concern that new bands get no exposure.

• Like 1

I think I need my younger metal friends in my life to make me mix CDs. I just can't keep up with all the new stuff (but I like it!). God I'm getting old.
  • Like 1

I appreciate TMS, actually. I sometimes get annoyed by certain people showing up a little too often, but now that they are no longer filming these in CA, expect that more often because most of them are in the LA area, not the east coast. But hey, can't please everybody.

So, how do you feel about Ghost?

http://alancross.squarespace.com/storage/ghost_bc_650.jpg

I love them, bought their last record on vinyl for Record Store Day. I'm very excited for the next release.

What did they release for RSD? I had no idea.... :rage:

I love them, bought their last record on vinyl for Record Store Day. I'm very excited for the next release.

I mean I bought their second album on vinyl for Record Store Day in 2014. Sorry for the confusion

I mean I bought their second album on vinyl for Record Store Day in 2014. Sorry for the confusion

Ok...phew!! Glad I didn't miss out!!

Less than 2 weeks to the reveal of Papa III!!!

I gotta give Ghost a ton of credit for keeping who they are such a secret. I know there's some big speculation that a lot of people know who the singer is, but I don't think it's ever been confirmed by anyone for a fact. The internet strips a lot of the mystery that used to surround metal bands away now. But Ghost has managed to keep that aura of mystery about them and it's great to see a band pull that off considering how technology has made information so east to get today. I'm shocked who they are hasn't been revealed by someone yet.

I liked their first album more than the second but both are very enjoyable listens. They threw me for a loop on the last album. I wasn't expecting it to be so keyboard heavy because their first release was guitar based. Looking forward to the new album, maybe they'll throw me for another loop with the musical direction.

Papa's identity is as good as confirmed in my book. I acquired an album from what is rumored to have been his previous band. Apart from the singer sounding A LOT like Papa, there is one song which contains the lyric: "Go find your shelter in our secular haze". Coincidence? :eyeroll:

Papa's identity is as good as confirmed in my book. I acquired an album from what is rumored to have been his previous band. Apart from the singer sounding A LOT like Papa, there is one song which contains the lyric: "Go find your shelter in our secular haze". Coincidence? :eyeroll:

Yeah, it seems some fans do know who he is. But he still hasn't confirmed it publicly and I hope that doesn't happen for many years. Let the mystery grow. I don't think his previous bands were well known, so that certainly helps in trying to conceal his identity.

Yeah, it seems some fans do know who he is. But he still hasn't confirmed it publicly and I hope that doesn't happen for many years. Let the mystery grow. I don't think his previous bands were well known, so that certainly helps in trying to conceal his identity.

Totally agree. I think it's fun. Really looking forward to their new album this summer. Between that, FNM, Maiden, Slayer & The Sword, the rest of 2015 is looking pretty good for new releases. I think Motorhead's new one is also out by year's end.

Anyway, I've been listening to a lot of Agalloch as of recent. A band whom I've heard in name only but never listened to them until now. Can't really categorize them or pigeon hole them other than just "metal", but I dig it quite a lot! :haz:

This is my favorite song of their's at the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdVobP7DegY

I like them a bit. I'm going to vancouver next month and will see Steven Wilson there. They'll be there the day before Agalloch will be there. Unfortunately my girlfriend won't want to see them...

They don't tour often so if they ever return for some East Coast dates this year, I'd be very inclined to go see them even though I just started listening to them and getting familiar with their material.

Anyway, I've been listening to a lot of Agalloch as of recent. A band whom I've heard in name only but never listened to them until now. Can't really categorize them or pigeon hole them other than just "metal", but I dig it quite a lot! :haz:

This is my favorite song of their's at the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdVobP7DegY

I like them a bit. I'm going to vancouver next month and will see Steven Wilson there. They'll be there the day before Agalloch will be there. Unfortunately my girlfriend won't want to see them...

They don't tour often so if they ever return for some East Coast dates this year, I'd be very inclined to go see them even though I just started listening to them and getting familiar with their material.

I guess that makes me shit out of luck. At least I get the Steven Wilson show still

Totally agree. I think it's fun. Really looking forward to their new album this summer. Between that, FNM, Maiden, Slayer & The Sword, the rest of 2015 is looking pretty good for new releases. I think Motorhead's new one is also out by year's end.

The new Faith No More is pretty solid. It's a shorter to the point album but there's no doubt that it's FNM. In addition to Maiden and Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth and possibly Testament will all have new albums out this year. I'm sceptical about Slayer and Megadeth. There hasn't been much Slayer has done in recent years that i've been interested in. Megadeth's last album was the worst of their career besides Risk and the one before that was only average. Before that they were pretty consistent with coming out with good material. Hopefully, changing the band members will get Mustaine back on track. Both Anthrax and Testament's last albums were great, so I expect something very good from them. Maiden will be awesome, I don't even need to hear anything from it to know that.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

I haven't listened to Sol Invictus yet but I heard is great despite its shorter length. Might hold off on getting a copy until I see them in August although I did like the two songs they released prior.

I haven't listened to Sol Invictus yet but I heard is great despite its shorter length. Might hold off on getting a copy until I see them in August although I did like the two songs they released prior.

I'm just finishing my third listen to Sol Invictus and I honestly think this may be the weirdest shit Faith No More has ever done and I don't mean that in a bad way. They've always been experimental but both musically and vocally this album is all over the place.

• Like 1

The new Faith No More is pretty solid. It's a shorter to the point album but there's no doubt that it's FNM. In addition to Maiden and Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth and possibly Testament will all have new albums out this year. I'm sceptical about Slayer and Megadeth. There hasn't been much Slayer has done in recent years that i've been interested in. Megadeth's last album was the worst of their career besides Risk and the one before that was only average. Before that they were pretty consistent with coming out with good material. Hopefully, changing the band members will get Mustaine back on track. Both Anthrax and Testament's last albums were great, so I expect something very good from them. Maiden will be awesome, I don't even need to hear anything from it to know that.

That's right...I almost forgot about Anthrax. Definitely high expectations for that one. Worship Music stands with the best stuff they've ever released. Same for Dark Roots from Testament. Didn't realize they were on the verge of a new one. I just saw them a few weeks ago performing all of The Legacy, most of The New Order and the title track from Practice What You Preach. What an awesome show!! Megadeth has always been hit or miss with me and for the most part , I can take or leave them. They definitely don't hit me in the way they do others.

I'm just finishing my third listen to Sol Invictus and I honestly think this may be the weirdest shit Faith No More has ever done and I don't mean that in a bad way. They've always been experimental but both musically and vocally this album is all over the place.

Guessing you don't listen to much Mr. Bungle...or Fantomas...

They will likely play a good number of songs from the new record at MSG. Personally, I like being familiar with the music I'm going to see. It's fun knowing the starts and stops and lyrics. Hearing stuff for the first time when seeing it live can be fun too, though.

Edited by Justin Case

The Melvins are the greatest band to ever walk the earth!!

Love that Patton story. Saw him tell it last year in Brooklyn (I think). At the NYC gig, he told a story about Iggy Pop refusing to play in front of people who like Weezer, :laughing guy:

• Like 1

They will likely play a good number of songs from the new record at MSG. Personally, I like being familiar with the music I'm going to see. It's fun knowing the starts and stops and lyrics. Hearing stuff for the first time when seeing it live can be fun too, though.

I just listened to a stream of it via NPR. Great stuff. Superhero and Matador are some of my favorites on the album.

• Like 1

I just listened to a stream of it via NPR. Great stuff. Superhero and Matador are some of my favorites on the album.

Both classics...Matador is definitely a standout track on the album.

Edit: I have a vid at home of the recent Detroit show that was webcast. If anyone is interested, I can Dropbox it. Chuck Mosely comes on late in the show as a special guest for Mark Bowen.

Edited by Justin Case

That's right...I almost forgot about Anthrax. Definitely high expectations for that one. Worship Music stands with the best stuff they've ever released. Same for Dark Roots from Testament. Didn't realize they were on the verge of a new one. I just saw them a few weeks ago performing all of The Legacy, most of The New Order and the title track from Practice What You Preach. What an awesome show!! Megadeth has always been hit or miss with me and for the most part , I can take or leave them. They definitely don't hit me in the way they do others.

Guessing you don't listen to much Mr. Bungle...or Fantomas...

I read some interview with Chuck Billy and he said the new Testament was supposed to come out this year. For some reason they went on this tour though instead of getting the album done. Now, the first two Testament albums are awesome and it's very cool they did a tour where they played both albums but I kind of saw it as a pointless tour since they're working on a new album. Also, the majority of the material on the first two albums has been played a ton over the last seven or eight years, so it's not like fans were demanding they play the stuff like Rush fans do with their 70s material.

I've heard Mr. Bungle before and a little bit of Fantomas but nothing much. Yeah, Bungle is weird as shit and I got that kind of feel with some of the stuff on the new Faith No More.

Charlie Benante of Anthrax said that they have 16 or 17 new songs recorded. i'm not sure if all of them will be on the new album but the release of the new album has got to be close now. One of their new songs was featured on a Game Of Thrones soundtrack that came out a few months ago. It's a pretty solid tune, if the rest of the album sounds like that then we're in for another great one from them.

Here's the song if you haven't heard it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cHAkpjLQ7s