Jump to content


R40 and why Clockwork Angels belongs

stop whining

86 replies to this topic

#1 x1yyz

x1yyz

    The Shark Whisperer

  • Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oakland, CA
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:28 PM

I've seen way too many complaints from people who were upset that Clockwork Angels is so well-represented this tour.  First off, to them I say :moon: .  Personally I think CA is the best thing the band has done in at least 34 years so I was thrilled to hear three strong tracks from the album!

On a more serious note, CA figured prominently into the setlist not only because it is their latest work and they are still pushing it as such, but also because it shows that Rush is not a band to rest on their laurels.  So many other bands who made it big in the 70s/early 80s never moved past that time.  They linger around, milking their past hits for all they are worth, and rarely put out new material.  Rush has certainly pushed themselves and explored new territory, they have never stopped writing new material, and that is fantastic.  Would you honestly still like Rush as much as you do if they hadn't released any new music since 1978 or 1981?

Bring on the Clockwork Angels!

Sponsored Post

#2 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 23489 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Troll beneath the George Washington Bridge
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

While I don't agree with every point you made. You hit some important elements. Also the Clockwork Angels material is some of their best work since Moving Pictures. The songs they chose off the album rocked, set one was no lazy stroll through the park.

#3 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hear hear.

Clockwork Angels rests on the mantle of my favorite Rush albums. AFTK, PeW, PoW, and CA are in my opinion, their best albums. Clockwork Angels is a major work. My personal favorite. On that record, they paint in the corners. Amazing we got something like it this late in the game. The title track, is a "mini" epic. Headlong Flight is one of the band's best songs--ever!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain, 09 May 2015 - 09:37 PM.


#4 Snaked

Snaked

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3339 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

I just called my buddy Taylor Swift and asked her to send a message to all the whiners bagging on the C.A. material.
Here's her response to them...


Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.....

#5 tomhealey

tomhealey

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 599 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oak Park, IL

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:40 PM

JohnRogers, I totally agree.  I find CA to be simply inspired, which is particularly impressive given how easy it would be for a "concept album" to feel desperate at this point in their careers.  It's a good thing that as age dulls their physical abilities, they never stop learing the song-writing craft.  I loved the second set last tour, and it was great to get a small taste of leftovers last night.

#6 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 21099 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

In the R30 tour, they played 3 songs from Vapor Trails. In the Time Machine Tour, they played 3 songs from Snakes & Arrows, and in R40, they're playing 3 songs from Clockwork Angels....

thanks to PolarizeMe for part of that statistic

Edited by Union 5-3992, 09 May 2015 - 10:09 PM.


#7 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

View Posttomhealey, on 09 May 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

JohnRogers, I totally agree.  I find CA to be simply inspired, which is particularly impressive given how easy it would be for a "concept album" to feel desperate at this point in their careers.  It's a good thing that as age dulls their physical abilities, they never stop learing the song-writing craft.  I loved the second set last tour, and it was great to get a small taste of leftovers last night.
Hey welcome. Here's your card, just in case nobody gave you one yet:
Posted Image

#8 tomhealey

tomhealey

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 599 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oak Park, IL

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

Thank you, TM.  Will this get me out of traffic tickets and such?

#9 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 23489 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Troll beneath the George Washington Bridge
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

"This card must be turned in when the holder begins to incessantly whine about how Rush is no longer good"

A lot of those people will be pissed for skipping this tour when they learn of Set Two.   ;)

#10 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

View Posttomhealey, on 09 May 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

Thank you, TM.  Will this get me out of traffic tickets and such?
No, but if you present it at the door of any Canadian citizen after knocking, you'll be invited inside, and offered a complimentary Moosehead 12 oz.

Not bad!

#11 gjptest

gjptest

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Willowdale, ON

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 09 May 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:

View Posttomhealey, on 09 May 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

Thank you, TM.  Will this get me out of traffic tickets and such?
No, but if you present it at the door of any Canadian citizen after knocking, you'll be invited inside, and offered a complimentary Moosehead 12 oz.

Not bad!
12oz? You mean 355ml?
:)

#12 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14371 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

View Postgjptest, on 09 May 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 09 May 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:

View Posttomhealey, on 09 May 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

Thank you, TM.  Will this get me out of traffic tickets and such?
No, but if you present it at the door of any Canadian citizen after knocking, you'll be invited inside, and offered a complimentary Moosehead 12 oz.

Not bad!
12oz? You mean 355ml?
:)
Got me. Metric freaks. When ya gonna catch up with the rest of the...umm...world?

Edited by Tombstone Mountain, 09 May 2015 - 10:19 PM.


#13 gjptest

gjptest

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Willowdale, ON

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:29 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 09 May 2015 - 10:18 PM, said:

View Postgjptest, on 09 May 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 09 May 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:

View Posttomhealey, on 09 May 2015 - 09:53 PM, said:

Thank you, TM.  Will this get me out of traffic tickets and such?
No, but if you present it at the door of any Canadian citizen after knocking, you'll be invited inside, and offered a complimentary Moosehead 12 oz.

Not bad!
12oz? You mean 355ml?
:)
Got me. Metric freaks. When ya gonna catch up with the rest of the...umm...world?
Never!
Correct on the Moosehead though!

And I agree with you that CA is one of their best albums.

#14 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

    Minister of Silly Walks

  • Members *
  • 60986 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:42 PM

I dont regard CA as highly as you all, but its not whining to complain about the setlist, its being a Rush fan.  In fact, it is not possible for Rush fans to ever be 100% happy with the setlist. :) :)

#15 Disk98

Disk98

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3926 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 09 May 2015 - 10:54 PM

I agree, x1yyz.  Clockwork Angels is almost if not as much a masterpiece as their early '80s albums are.  It deserves all the live attention Rush gives it.

#16 calirush

calirush

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 863 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Francisco
  • Interests:Rush,family,bass, occasionally even bowling. By the way did I mention Rush?

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:11 AM

Add me to the list of people happy about the CA material.

#17 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6471 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

    Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

View Postx1yyz, on 09 May 2015 - 09:28 PM, said:

I've seen way too many complaints from people who were upset that Clockwork Angels is so well-represented this tour.  First off, to them I say :moon: .  Personally I think CA is the best thing the band has done in at least 34 years so I was thrilled to hear three strong tracks from the album!

On a more serious note, CA figured prominently into the setlist not only because it is their latest work and they are still pushing it as such, but also because it shows that Rush is not a band to rest on their laurels.  So many other bands who made it big in the 70s/early 80s never moved past that time.  They linger around, milking their past hits for all they are worth, and rarely put out new material.  Rush has certainly pushed themselves and explored new territory, they have never stopped writing new material, and that is fantastic.  Would you honestly still like Rush as much as you do if they hadn't released any new music since 1978 or 1981?

Bring on the Clockwork Angels!


Nice moon, x1!

How about fans of the classics tiring of the CA fans complaining about the CA fans complaining about the CA whining?

The buzz is about the stretch of Jacobs, Prelude, Cygnus and Xanadu (with CTTH heart thrown in) then 2112 with Pesentation, nice touch (lakeside, anthem, WYD, what a bonus). But that's the stretch. That's when they surged, when the world told them they will be musicians for life! The creativity, the power, the GROUND BREAKING MATERIAL, the new hard prog sound that they revolutionized.

As much as it is about the sound, some of it is about the energy. Some fans have tired about the over abundance of comedy at their modern era shows. OK a joke here and there is ok, but it has become a significant staple of their concerts in the last decade. The cartoons were usually ok, but A chicken basting a rotisserie of chickens, haha. Sausage makers daughter...it went on and on.

I've read the press release for Moist, it's great, But Rush used to have an aura. I know, they wanted to run away from that. As they peeled away the rotisserie and laundromat, and revealed their earlier aura, a magic that has been missing for far too long reemerged and it was incredible. Thank you periscope for letting us far away see relive an era so far away. That is the magic of R40.

2112 thru MP is stunning. Sure CA is a great effort, Anarchist and Headlong are great songs, but I'd trade title track and my electron microscope needed to hear the layered and buried sound for more of their revolutionary sound.

#18 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:27 AM

I don't mind....because they picked 3 CA songs i like........though towards the end of that block i WAS getting CA fatigue.

Mick

#19 Boston_E

Boston_E

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 52 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boston

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

To me, if this is really the last tour, I'm a bit dissapointed in the 1st set list.  Nothing against the last couple of albums, but IMO they are pretty heavy on CA stuff at the expense of a lot of classics.... How do you leave out songs like Limelight, Freewill, Red Sector A, Dreamline etc on your farewell tour?

#20 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:48 AM

View PostBoston_E, on 10 May 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

To me, if this is really the last tour, I'm a bit dissapointed in the 1st set list.  Nothing against the last couple of albums, but IMO they are pretty heavy on CA stuff at the expense of a lot of classics.... How do you leave out songs like Limelight, Freewill, Red Sector A, Dreamline etc on your farewell tour?

Me too.  set 1 was a snooze.  but they could rotate with some of the songs you mentioned.

Mick



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users