Favorite Stanley Kubrick film

savagegrace26

What is your Favorite Stanley Kubrick film?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite Stanley Kubrick film?

• Fear and Desire
    • Killer's Kiss
    • The Killing
    • Paths of Glory
    • Spartacus
    • Lolita
    • Dr Strangelove
    • 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • A Clockwork Orange
    • Barry Lyndon
    • The Shining
    • Full Metal Jacket
    • Eyes Wide Shut

Question - would Dr. Strangelove have been better with Peter Sellers in the role of Major T.J. "King" Kong, as intended?

I don't think so. I've read that Sellers had a problem finding the character before his injury so that made the decision easier for Kubrick to cast someone else in that role (which he was considering). Pickens nailed it. Do you know Pickens thought he was acting in a serious movie?

• Like 1

Question - would Dr. Strangelove have been better with Peter Sellers in the role of Major T.J. "King" Kong, as intended?

I don't think so. I've read that Sellers had a problem finding the character before his injury so that made the decision easier for Kubrick to cast someone else in that role (which he was considering). Pickens nailed it. Do you know Pickens thought he was acting in a serious movie?

I agree. But I can't help but think what might have been. Sellers was so brilliant in the other roles, I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have nailed it. He just didn't want to do it. Anyway, Slim Pickens' performance is just another reason I love the movie. Everybody in the film was excellent.

I'm surprised there's not one single vote for 2001.

It is beautifully made. But unless you view film as serious art, it is likely to bore you silly!

• Like 1

Strangelove.

I started watching Clockwork... last night and quite just after the b&e rape scene. Turnsout it hasn't kept my interest over time, whereas Strangelove is still just about perfect.

• Like 1

I'm surprised there's not one single vote for 2001.

It is beautifully made. But unless you view film as serious art, it is likely to bore you silly!

It was between Strangelove and 2001 for me. I love 2001, but will take smart comedy over high art in most cases.
  • Like 1

That was difficult. I put 2001 just a hair ahead of The Shining. And may I suggest that Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut are underrated? I think so.

Kubrick is one of my three favorite directors, perhaps my favorite. A brilliant artist who should be remembered for the ages.

• Like 1

A bit difficult for me to decide considering I've only seen two of them in its entirety (a bit sacrilegious on my part considering I have the entire Stanley Kubrick collection on BluRay): Dr. Strangelove and The Shining. Loved both of them, but I voted The Shining.

2001 was on TV today. Unfortunately I happened to turn it on during the apes eating the raw meat scene while I was eating dinner so I changed the channel. :LOL: