Documentaries

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#21 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14368 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:45 AM

Werner Herzog. Say no more.

Happy People: A year in the Taiga

people living in siberia. REAL remote part. Incredible. Must see

Sponsored Post

#22 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

The Dane of the Culinary Arts

• Members *
  • 6125 posts
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

Saw a documentary on national television about a bombing raid on the Shell House in Copenhagen during WWII. The first wave of bombers hit the target, but because one bomber went down over the city, the next two waves of bombers believed the smoke from the crashed plane was the target, which led to the unfortunate bombing of a school, killing 86 children, and injuring around 120 people.

Crazy fact: The Shell House was the Gestapo headquarter in Copenhagen, and because of their fear of being bombed, they put their prisoners up on the roof to deter the british from bombing. The danish resistance movement deemed it necessary so they gave green light. Crazy enough most of the prisoners of the building got out alive. We're talking a 5-6 story building.

Posted Image

#23 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Futbol(Soccer),Traveling,shiny things,Reading,Writing,Music,Astronomy,History,Urban Art,Learning New Things,Collecting old new figurines,just hangin out doin DJ sets at NYC bars stuff like that

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

"Operation Carthage" very daunting mission and very hard,but I saw that too they took out the floors but the mission also had huge mistakes the fighters were off so the fighters shot at the same spot finally taking out the floor with the Gestapo but than a plane clipped a building and crashed into a church or school and children were killed very sad......but that is war no one wins

If memory serves me right they used those fast Mosquito Bombers which were also used in another similar called Oslo Mosquito raid

I'm a big WW1 & 2 history nut,let me make it clear though I depise war We always must try at diplomacy no matter how severe but sadly in WWII it was a mess and spiraled out of control fast and became the worst war mankind has ever faced,basically "Total War" term used by a German General Ludendorff.But I am interested in the history of it the people,tactics,politics,material,etc

#24 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

The Dane of the Culinary Arts

• Members *
  • 6125 posts
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

"Operation Carthage" very daunting mission and very hard,but I saw that too they took out the floors but the mission also had huge mistakes the fighters were off so the fighters shot at the same spot finally taking out the floor with the Gestapo but than a plane clipped a building and crashed into a church or school and children were killed very sad......but that is war no one wins

If memory serves me right they used those fast Mosquito Bombers which were also used in another similar called Oslo Mosquito raid

I'm a big WW1 & 2 history nut,let me make it clear though I depise war We always must try at diplomacy no matter how severe but sadly in WWII it was a mess and spiraled out of control fast and became the worst war mankind has ever faced,basically "Total War" term used by a German General Ludendorff.But I am interested in the history of it the people,tactics,politics,material,etc

I consider myself a WWII history nut too. You're right about the planes.

Was there a bombing raid in Oslo too?

#25 OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2112 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostBasqueNYC, on 23 March 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

"New York Doll" (about Arthur "The Killer" Kane bass player for the "New York Dolls" one of my fav bands btw)

I saw this... really interesting. I'm really into "Rockumentaries" particularly the punk rock era in the 70's.

#26 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18304 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostMr. IsNot, on 06 March 2014 - 06:18 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 19 February 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

This might be considered an artsy piece of shit compared to the usual structure of documentaries but I nevertheless, I just finished watching this. It's debatable whether it should be considered a documentary or not, but alas it's commonly tagged as one.

Looks interesting enough. The music reminds me of a certain ultra-violent film I know of.
It really is interesting. A documentary that's dictated only by time lapse and stock footage set to music with no dialogue and no definitive plot. It's actually the first of a trilogy of documentaries of similar style, the trailer I posted is the most well known and arguably the best of the three.

Recently, I watched a documentary on the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan incident from 20 years ago through Tonya's perspective. After watching it, I kinda feel bad for Tonya Harding even though if she really was behind the whole clubbing your rival in the leg plot.

#27 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

View PostThe Analog Grownup, on 24 March 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

Saw a documentary on national television about a bombing raid on the Shell House in Copenhagen during WWII. The first wave of bombers hit the target, but because one bomber went down over the city, the next two waves of bombers believed the smoke from the crashed plane was the target, which led to the unfortunate bombing of a school, killing 86 children, and injuring around 120 people.

Crazy fact: The Shell House was the Gestapo headquarter in Copenhagen, and because of their fear of being bombed, they put their prisoners up on the roof to deter the british from bombing. The danish resistance movement deemed it necessary so they gave green light. Crazy enough most of the prisoners of the building got out alive. We're talking a 5-6 story building.

Posted Image
Shell House got bombed.  How's that for some irony (in the colloquial sense).

#28 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 25 March 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostMr. IsNot, on 06 March 2014 - 06:18 PM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 19 February 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

This might be considered an artsy piece of shit compared to the usual structure of documentaries but I nevertheless, I just finished watching this. It's debatable whether it should be considered a documentary or not, but alas it's commonly tagged as one.

Looks interesting enough. The music reminds me of a certain ultra-violent film I know of.
It really is interesting. A documentary that's dictated only by time lapse and stock footage set to music with no dialogue and no definitive plot. It's actually the first of a trilogy of documentaries of similar style, the trailer I posted is the most well known and arguably the best of the three.

Recently, I watched a documentary on the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan incident from 20 years ago through Tonya's perspective. After watching it, I kinda feel bad for Tonya Harding even though if she really was behind the whole clubbing your rival in the leg plot.
Looks like something I'd really enjoy.  It's amazing how little need for dialog there can be.

#29 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

I live in northern Nevada and we have lots of Basques here.  Are you originally from Euskadi (the Basque Country)?

#30 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Futbol(Soccer),Traveling,shiny things,Reading,Writing,Music,Astronomy,History,Urban Art,Learning New Things,Collecting old new figurines,just hangin out doin DJ sets at NYC bars stuff like that

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

I live in northern Nevada and we have lots of Basques here.  Are you originally from Euskadi (the Basque Country)?

Yes I was born right outside of Bilbao in the Biscay region very beautiful area specially the Bay Area I have dual citizenship Spain/US,also much respect that u used the word Euskadi

#31 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

View PostThe Analog Grownup, on 25 March 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

I consider myself a WWII history nut too. You're right about the planes.

Was there a bombing raid in Oslo too?

Again if memory serves me right the Oslo bombing raid was complete mess total disaster for the allies chalk it up there with "Operation Market-Garden",but I'm not sure

#32 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

Yes I was born right outside of Bilbao in the Biscay region very beautiful area specially the Bay Area I have dual citizenship Spain/US,also much respect that u used the word Euskadi
:cheers:

I've been to Bilbao.  Beautiful place.  San Sebastian is nice, too.  The entire region is striking, and the people are amazing.  I've got lots of basque friends here...Etchegaray, Etchegoyen,  Lekumberry, Oxoby.

Posted Image

The JT, Gardnerville, NV.  Below, my friend Marie Lekumberry...

By the way...one of the bartenders just moved to NYC.

Edited by goose, 25 March 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#33 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 08:26 PM, said:

I've been to Bilbao.  Beautiful place.  San Sebastian is nice, too.  The entire region is striking, and the people are amazing.  I've got lots of basque friends here...Etchegaray, Etchegoyen,  Lekumberry, Oxoby.

I go back as much as I can and I love jamming with the street musicians a lot of them do older stuff which is great but when they heard my NYC accent they ripped into some Ramones lol right by the beach good times

There was something in the news that they found one of the last Franco statues or something like that (may he burn in hell that fascist pig he let Germans destroy Guernica.)

Have you seen the Gernikako Arbola? I know it's been destroyed,replanted there are 3 sites very sacred Tree

#34 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

I go back as much as I can and I love jamming with the street musicians a lot of them do older stuff which is great but when they heard my NYC accent they ripped into some Ramones lol right by the beach good times

There was something in the news that they found one of the last Franco statues or something like that (may he burn in hell that fascist pig he let Germans destroy Guernica.)

Have you seen the Gernikako Arbola? I know it's been destroyed,replanted there are 3 sites very sacred Tree
I haven't seen it.  That is such a sad story in history, and Franco... :facepalm:   Pan's Labyrinth did a good job capturing the fascist psyche, I thought.

I have spent hours staring at the Picasso painting Guernica in the Reina Sofia.  Powerful...

Posted Image

#35 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

I haven't seen it.  That is such a sad story in history, and Franco... :facepalm:   Pan's Labyrinth did a good job capturing the fascist psyche, I thought.

I have spent hours staring at the Picasso painting Guernica in the Reina Sofia.  Powerful...

Posted Image

That is a moving painting I love it as well

and as for Franco well even though he remained neutral (not really) he actually sent his "Blue Division" to help the Germans on the Russian front.But the BD really had no impact,but I always wondered if he sided with Hitler in WW2 what ramifications it would had.he had a army that had combat experience,excellent location for the Germans could have sped up the North Africa campaigns.Its very scary how close that madman almost came to making Europe one big Nazi flag

My grandfather Marcos and uncle Ramon were not that far from the bombing but saw the after effects and were just disgusted and horrified and he knew Franco would win and the Republic would fall very sad when I read his diaries which we still have

It's crazy that it was almost 6 months to the day that when the Spanish civil war ended WW2 began

#36 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 09:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

and as for Franco well even though he remained neutral (not really) he actually sent his "Blue Division" to help the Germans on the Russian front.But the BD really had no impact,but I always wondered if he sided with Hitler in WW2 what ramifications it would had.he had a army that had combat experience,excellent location for the Germans could have sped up the North Africa campaigns.Its very scary how close that madman almost came to making Europe one big Nazi flag

My grandfather Marcos and uncle Ramon were not that far from the bombing but saw the after effects and were just disgusted and horrified and he knew Franco would win and the Republic would fall very sad when I read his diaries which we still have

It's crazy that it was almost 6 months to the day that when the Spanish civil war ended WW2 began
That's very cool that you have those diaries.

#37 BasqueNYC

BasqueNYC

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

Posted Image

We actually had to laminate most of the pages some had water damage,time wear and tear,etc but it's a glimpse into such a crazy time,I kinda miss that people don't keep diaries but than again I guess all these network sites are diaries in some way.but to hold history in your hands is just something else

#38 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53736 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

View PostBasqueNYC, on 25 March 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 25 March 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

Posted Image

We actually had to laminate most of the pages some had water damage,time wear and tear,etc but it's a glimpse into such a crazy time,I kinda miss that people don't keep diaries but than again I guess all these network sites are diaries in some way.but to hold history in your hands is just something else
there's something magical about the printed word on aged pages.

#39 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

• Members *
  • 21064 posts
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

Posted Image

Just finished this one. I'm a huge BB King fan and it gave a neat insight to his life where it was hard to find info elsewhere. Though there are a few dull moments and it feels unorganized, it's still worth the watch if you like BB King

#40 workingcinderellaman

workingcinderellaman

The Red Barchetta

• Members *
  • 30700 posts
  • Interests:Bikes (Motorcycles), Skiing, Airplanes, Ted Nugent

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

I love documentaries. But I don't care for the ones that have an agenda they're trying to push.

I did like Black Fish despite the fact that it seemed one sided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users