Jump to content


How do you drink your beer?


  • Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you drink your beer? (51 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you drink your beer?

  1. Can (eew, sorry .. but eeew) (4 votes [7.84%])

    Percentage of vote: 7.84%

  2. Bottle (22 votes [43.14%])

    Percentage of vote: 43.14%

  3. Glass (13 votes [25.49%])

    Percentage of vote: 25.49%

  4. Mug (3 votes [5.88%])

    Percentage of vote: 5.88%

  5. *Special glass (9 votes [17.65%])

    Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 69413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

View Postthesweetscience, on 07 December 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

That's easy, I pour it down the sink and then get a glass of scotch.
Then you'd be inerested in wht I picked up at Costco...
Posted Image

Edited by goose, 07 December 2013 - 11:15 PM.


Sponsored Post

#42 thesweetscience

thesweetscience

    Member titles are overrated!

  • Members *
  • 18414 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

View Postgoose, on 07 December 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 07 December 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

That's easy, I pour it down the sink and then get a glass of scotch.
Then you'd be inerested in wht I picked up at Costco...
Posted Image
:drool:

#43 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27949 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

All of the above......

#44 Chronos

Chronos

    Up the irons, down the Lagavulin!

  • Members *
  • 3135 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:On the edge, where the winds of limbo roar

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

View Postthesweetscience, on 07 December 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

That's easy, I pour it down the sink and then get a glass of scotch.

That's what I'm talking about!

#45 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 69413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

View Postthesweetscience, on 07 December 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 07 December 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

View Postthesweetscience, on 07 December 2013 - 11:05 PM, said:

That's easy, I pour it down the sink and then get a glass of scotch.
Then you'd be inerested in wht I picked up at Costco...
Posted Image
:drool:
I had a bit last night and it was fantastic.  That smokiness is so distinctive.

#46 Chronos

Chronos

    Up the irons, down the Lagavulin!

  • Members *
  • 3135 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:On the edge, where the winds of limbo roar

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Have you tried Lagavulin 16? It's just...titanic. Dat aroma!

#47 rugen

rugen

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1235 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:27 AM

I am starting the Christmas party at work today with cheep wine, and from now on it's going to go uphill with some better wines and some strong Christmas beers, always on the perfect glass for the type of beers i drink. And maybe i will try to get reckless with the strongest beer of the world "the Snake Venom" at 67% alc. :

http://laughingsquid...sts-a-67-5-abv/

#48 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 69413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostChronos, on 12 December 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Have you tried Lagavulin 16? It's just...titanic. Dat aroma!
Two reviews of this one:

94 points Whisky Advocate
Posted Image An old classic, but how do the newest bottlings fare? Rich, chewy, slightly oily texture. Deep peat, thick smoke, iodine, brine, charcoal, seaweed, tea (Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong), and the aromas of a summer barbeque. Vanilla and light caramel soften the intensity, while subtle citrus fruit teases. Powerful, yet polished and seamless. After all these years, this whisky is still one of the finest standard-issue peaty, smoky whiskies!

K&L Notes
Lagavulin was established in 1830 and has the driest start of all single malts. Full amber in color, with a dominant sherry nose. Full-bodied yet smooth. The dryness is offset by the sweetness of the sherry character. Salty notes and a huge powerful peaty finish. A connoisseur's malt, and with consistently high marks from late critic Michael Jackson.

#49 custom55

custom55

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 7807 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Nutley, NJ
  • Interests:Snowboarding & Retirement.

    I have tickets for:

    Phish - Dec 28
    Satisfaction - Jan 6
    The Musical Box - Apr 4, 2020 4th annual TRF meetup

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

Dales Pale Ale on draft tonight.  Love my local store now that they have a growler bar.  Always 12 brews on tap.

Posted Image

#50 rugen

rugen

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1235 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:12 AM

I am keeping this one for Christmas to make it a tasting event and drink slowly... Got a 94% rating on beeradvocate and voted world best dak ale

Posted Image

#51 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

    Freightdreamliner

  • Members *
  • 9055 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Aiken, SC, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
  • Interests:Empathy.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Bottle, because I don't always drink beer.  But, when I do, I prefer a good beer.

#52 toscanobarga

toscanobarga

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 836 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Glass whenever possible. I like my beers hoppy, so the aroma is part of the overall experience.

There's room in my life for both good beers AND Lagavulin !

#53 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

    Dita Von Sneeze

  • Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere in the Ether... or Ethanol.
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

I don't really drink anymore but it doesn't make a difference to me, if I was being offered a cold one I wouldn't really care what vessel it's being served in, unless it was something like this...

Posted Image

#54 Mara

Mara

    Hindu Goddess of Death

  • Members *
  • 25530 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Marietta, Georgia, USA
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 24 September 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

View PostCyclonus X-1, on 24 September 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

I don't drink beer.  It tastes awful.

Blasphemy!!!!

At one point I talked myself into believing I liked beer.  (College, you know, drink beer or go thirsty pretty much).

I finally realized that it was stupid to keep drinking it if I really deep-down did not care for it.  And I don't, except for some of the fruit lambics.  Even those I can easily do without at $6+ per bottle.

I'd much rather have a Woodpecker Cider with a shot of cassis.  :)

#55 Mara

Mara

    Hindu Goddess of Death

  • Members *
  • 25530 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Marietta, Georgia, USA
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

View Postgoose, on 13 December 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

View PostChronos, on 12 December 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Have you tried Lagavulin 16? It's just...titanic. Dat aroma!
Two reviews of this one:

94 points Whisky Advocate
Posted Image An old classic, but how do the newest bottlings fare? Rich, chewy, slightly oily texture. Deep peat, thick smoke, iodine, brine, charcoal, seaweed, tea (Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong), and the aromas of a summer barbeque. Vanilla and light caramel soften the intensity, while subtle citrus fruit teases. Powerful, yet polished and seamless. After all these years, this whisky is still one of the finest standard-issue peaty, smoky whiskies!

K&L Notes


Lagavulin was established in 1830 and has the driest start of all single malts. Full amber in color, with a dominant sherry nose. Full-bodied yet smooth. The dryness is offset by the sweetness of the sherry character. Salty notes and a huge powerful peaty finish. A connoisseur's malt, and with consistently high marks from late critic Michael Jackson.

Why would I want to drink anything that tasted like oily iodine, dirt and smoke??????  Perhaps I am not fully appreciating the finer points of this sort of thing, but this is a level of snobbery that has always made me laugh, whether it's wine, beer, or whatever trendy food of the day is under discussion.

On the bright side - someone found a niche and a few people have made decent careers out of filling that niche.  :)

#56 toscanobarga

toscanobarga

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 836 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

You either get the peaty/smoke type Scothces or you don't. For example I don't care for the Laphroaig shown above, I find it a bit unbalanced, but the Lagavulin 16 is a thing of beauty.

And no, it doesn't "taste like dirt and iodine", it's an incredibly complex taste, it just tastes like, well, like a heavenly good scotch.

#57 Cygnus 2112

Cygnus 2112

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4733 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

I drink my root beer in a glass with vodka.

#58 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27949 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

I used to drink a ton of beer. I drank 3-5 beers a night ( out of a bottle, glass, frosty mug, can or whatever ) at home every night for to many years. I am not proud of it in any way. I mostly consumed cheap beer but occasionally would get something good. 7 months ago I decided to get fit and just stopped. I don't really even consider it anymore. It's almost like that was someone else....... :)

#59 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 69413 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:14 AM

View PostMara, on 16 December 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

this is a level of snobbery that has always made me laugh, whether it's wine, beer, or whatever trendy food of the day is under discussion.

I chuckle at these kinds of descriptions as well.  One of the funniest wine-tasting momenst ever was when a wine was served and the snobs got to commenting on the subtleties using all the flowery language.  The wine in question?  Frozen grape juice concentrate.

Edited by goose, 17 December 2013 - 12:16 AM.


#60 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 34772 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

View Postgoose, on 17 December 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

View PostMara, on 16 December 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

this is a level of snobbery that has always made me laugh, whether it's wine, beer, or whatever trendy food of the day is under discussion.

I chuckle at these kinds of descriptions as well.  One of the funniest wine-tasting momenst ever was when a wine was served and the snobs got to commenting on the subtleties using all the flowery language.  The wine in question?  Frozen grape juice concentrate.

How is there NOT video of this? I'd love to see that. :D




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users