Rate Signals

Gompers

How do you rate Signals?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate Signals?

I can't give any Rush album below a 7 and I have yet to give any of them a 10. Perhaps I am a fan boy with just a bit of realistic restraint.

Signals is just so good. I got Permanent Waves when I was fifteen. Then Moving Pictures arrived and I was so in awe of this great band.

Then they dropped a bomb that said we will not live up to your expectations. We will give you what you may not want to hear. At that time me and my Rush-fan-boy-buddies all LOVED it.

"Subdivisions" spoke directly to the 17 year old. "The Analog Kid" blew me away. "Chemistry" was cool and it was a Rush New Wave song and they nailed it. "Digital Man" was flippin' amazing. At the time that first side was as good as anything I had ever heard.

Side two? "The Weapon" just made me want the whole Fear Trilogy. "New World Man" meant that Rush was going into places we never quite imagined. "Losing It" hit every young teenage guy I knew right in the heart. I didn't quite cotton to "Countdown". I still don't. I love the music, and hey, those guys were excited about the shuttle launch and I was too, but a song about it? Ok, but that cost you a ten.

If they play any of it on this tour I will scream like a girl and jump up and down. (Not that there's anything wrong with jumping up and down and screaming like a girl. I love to see such things.)

Edited by drbirdsong

Oh, come on. Someone awarded Signals a one? I can understand not really liking the album, but for someone to score it a one I would have to think they are just being contrarian and irrational. I can't see rating any Rush album below a four, maybe three at the lowest. A score of one implies an agenda.

I implore whoever that was to reconsider tongue.gif

Most of you know this already...

- New World Man was written in a day (they needed one more track)

- Countdown was the hardest to record ("like pulling teeth" according to Geddy)

- A lot of Chemistry was pulled from what they were doing doing soundchecks

- Digital Man: Terry Brown wanted to pull the plug on it but the boys were convinced they had something. What a great live version they pulled off on the S&A tour

- The Weapon, the way Alex programmed the electronic drums in the demo were backwards to the way Neil normally plays. He decided to take it on as a challenge and played it the way it was on the demo tape. You will really see this on the p/g video

Subdivisions is my favourite all time "single" from Rush. The first 40 seconds of this song will likely never be dethroned as my preferred beginning to any Rush track. The Weapon is underrated in my opinion.

9.5 - but i rated it a 10 for the hell of it tongue.gif

The Good

Subdivisions

Analog Kid

Chemistry

The Weapon

Digital Man

New World Man

Losing it

The OK

Countdown

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 21 2012, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 21 2012, 05:11 PM)
Signals would be a 10 except that Chemistry and Countdown are so embarrassingly dorky, lyrically speaking.

didn't geddy and alex write the lyrics for chemistry?

I believe all three band members collaborated on those lyrics.

And yes, they are cheesy. smile.gif Still, there's something endearing about them.... and I like the music. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Apr 19 2012, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Apr 18 2012, 03:42 PM)
2. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Good: Subdivisions, The Weapon

Okay: New World Man

This album, the worst is much worse than the good is good, so it doesn't really work out.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff454/GracieGifs/disapprove.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 21 2012, 06:43 PM)
Countdown is a clunker to me, and Chemistry is a little cheesy. Still, the sheer awesomeness of The Analog Kid makes up for them. 8 1/2, rounded up to 9 for me.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Apr 21 2012, 06:52 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 21 2012, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 21 2012, 05:11 PM)
Signals would be a 10 except that Chemistry and Countdown are so embarrassingly dorky, lyrically speaking.

didn't geddy and alex write the lyrics for chemistry?

I believe all three band members collaborated on those lyrics.

Supposed quote from Alex Lifeson :

"Very often the guys will have worked out something musically and made a tape of it for which they have nothing particular in mind. 'Grand Designs,' on the last album, was done that way. They had the musical ideas laid out and just made a little tape for me with guitar, keyboards and drum machine, and I had that. So, again, if I'm stumped on something that I've been working on, I pull out that tape and try to close my mind off for a minute and listen to the tape. 'Chemistry' was a true collaboration between the three of us. The other guys had a couple of key phrases they wanted to express, so they gave me the music. That was easy because all the groundwork was done. Playing with words comes so much easier than having to dream up the whole thing."

From Wiki:

Parts of "Chemistry" were written by the band at once while they were separated from each other. Lee wrote the keyboard melody for the bridge section, Lifeson wrote the guitar riff for the verse, and Peart wrote the drum beat for the chorus, and in a move unusual for Rush, Lee and Lifeson came with the concept and title for the song and presented rough lyrics for Peart to polish.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Apr 22 2012, 08:39 AM)
perfect album from subdivisions to countdown...

this is america, but those who don't like tracks like countdown or chemistry are  fing.gif

Hey man! I gave it a 9, and said why, fing.gif people gave it less than a 5! smile.gif

Sadly, the information that Geddy and Alex helped with the lyrics on Chemistry is not enough to salvage them.

I gave it a 9:

The Great:

Subdivisions

Analog Kid

Digital Man

The Weapon

New World Man

Losing It

The Good:

Countdown

Chemistry

I would have gave it a 10 if the sound were a bit harder!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif