Jimi Hendrix - Greatest Guitarist Ever

Hatchetaxe&saw

Even though it was Rolling Stone ( 062802puke_prv.gif ) that made this judgment, for once they have it right (I think monkeys just flew out of my butt).

Not only is he the greatest guitarist ever, I can't think of anyone that really comes that close. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of guitarists I worship that are brilliant, but no one could come close to Jimi in terms of innovation in a very, very short period of time.

All anyone can do is follow in his footsteps. Many can play as well as him, or can copy him note perfect, but to come up with that level of innovation and completely revolutionize the instrument the way he did? No way. It's already been done, and it was done by the peerless GUITAR GOD himself, Jimi Hendrix. notworthy.gif

Jimi wrote the manual for rock guitar. Page, Clapton, Beck, Townshend and a multitude of fledgling musicians all worshipped him. He painted broadstrokes of musical fire and remains the Picasso of the guitar. Peerless.

His naysayers just don't get it.

2 Words for ya, Rolling Stone comp26.gif . Keith Richards is a Better Player than Eddie Van Halen ? Yep, sure is cool10.gif . Brian May ? Nevermind............. Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (Tony R @ Nov 23 2011, 09:05 AM)
Jimi wrote the manual for rock guitar. Page, Clapton, Beck, Townshend and a multitude of fledgling musicians all worshipped him. He painted broadstrokes of musical fire and remains the Picasso of the guitar. Peerless.
His naysayers just don't get it.

Yep...they all have. I remember hearing many times that Joe Satriani started playing guitar the day he heard Jimi passed away. He said the moment he heard the news, he quit the football team and picked up the guitar.

His influence on guitar players is unmatched.

Why the hell is the guy from The Black Keys chiming in on this?..

I'll keep Jimi , Eddie, Page and Beck...but Chuck Berry?..come on..and B.B King is the most boring of all the old time blues guys...

Edited by Xanadoood

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 23 2011, 09:34 AM)

I'll keep Jimi , Eddie, Page and Beck...but Chuck Berry?..come on..and B.B King is the most boring of all the old time blues guys...

Chuck Berry, hell YES! The man did more for rock & roll and rock guitar than most, including Jimi Hendrix. I have absolutely no problem with Jimi Hendrix topping greatest guitarist polls, he was the best and did the most to define the instrument in terms of rock music, but so did Chuck Berry.

I certainly love Jimi. He would get my vote as the greatest guitar player of all time. He is also in my top 6 of favorite players along with Allman, Lifeson, Page, Garcia, and Warren Haynes. Can't pick a favorite of the six. They all go to 11.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 23 2011, 10:00 AM)

Chuck Berry, hell YES! The man did more for rock & roll and rock guitar than most, including Jimi Hendrix. I have absolutely no problem with Jimi Hendrix topping greatest guitarist polls, he was the best and did the most to define the instrument in terms of rock music, but so did Chuck Berry.

goodpost.gif

Listen to what everyone else was doing on guitar when Chuck Berry was shredding on Johnny B. Goode. Berry was the first "Ax" man. His contributions were huge! Anyone who can't see that knows nothing about early rock and roll. Chuck Berry was a true pioneer. yes.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Nov 23 2011, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 23 2011, 10:00 AM)

goodpost.gif

Listen to what everyone else was doing on guitar when Chuck Berry was shredding on Johnny B. Goode. Berry was the first "Ax" man. His contributions were huge! Anyone who can't see that knows nothing about early rock and roll. Chuck Berry was a true pioneer. yes.gif

I'll take cliff gallop and les paul over chuck berry...

I don't give a crap about innovation. It's about what's sonically pleasing...

The same ones that say Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist also say Nirvana is one of the greatest bands ever because of innovation. Again, none of this matters to me. Hendrix just doesn't do it for me, and IMO he has no feel

1. Alex Lifeson

2. David Gilmour

3. Andy Summers

4. Kirk Hammett

5. And the criminally underrated Daron Malakin

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Nov 23 2011, 10:44 AM)
Hendrix just doesn't do it for me, and IMO he has no feel

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but in my head that's like saying the Pope isn't catholic.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Nov 23 2011, 08:44 AM)
I don't give a crap about innovation. It's about what's sonically pleasing...

The same ones that say Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist also say Nirvana is one of the greatest bands ever because of innovation.

Jimi had killer innovation AND was amazingly sonically pleasing. Maybe you need a q-tip? tongue.gif

Jimi Hendrix is the greatest guitarist, but I think Nirvana is perhaps the most overrated band ever. So there goes THAT theory out the window. wink.gif

Edited by rushgoober

Wise move..velly velly wise move, grasshopper (crumbling stone mag.)...

you have learned well (sometimes-sort of...except for RUSH not

being inducted into the hall of shame..but that's another story.)

Hendrix deserves the honor, more then anyone.

I am perplexed regarding the absence of the Living Dead, AKA Skeletor, AKA Barely Living Proof Vegetarianism Suits Only Rabbits & Cows, AKA Lord Howe of Yesasialand.

Not only is he technically marvellous, has such a light touch, he also brought serious jazz chops into the rock milieu.

Baffling.

• Like 2

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 24 2011, 08:48 AM)
I am perplexed regarding the absence of the Living Dead, AKA Skeletor, AKA Barely Living Proof Vegetarianism Suits Only Rabbits & Cows, AKA Lord Howe of Yesasialand.

Not only is he technically marvellous, has such a light touch, he also brought serious jazz chops into the rock milieu.

Baffling.

Mr. Howe needs a burger and a coke! burger2.gif trink36.gif

And you have to come to the realization that prog rock is not a legitimate genre of rock music. I guess...

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 24 2011, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 24 2011, 02:48 PM)
Did fripp  make the list?...Adrian belew?

Fripp's there. No Belew.

Shameful.