THE Camera Eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rush Kid

The Camera Eye  

88 members have voted

1. 1. The Camera Eye

• Woo-Hoo!!!
    • Woo-Hoo!!!!!

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Apr 8 2010, 09:47 AM)
Already seen it live - no big deal

I've seen it too. But I cannot wait to see it again! And since they said all of Moving Pictures, there is no way the guys can "it's too complicated" or "we don't like that song" their way out of it! And The Milwaukee paper also said the guys will be doing some new stuff....Huzah!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Edited by ProfGumby

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 8 2010, 01:38 PM)
So the question remains... will it be the entire song? Or an "abridged" version?

read: moving pictures in it's entirety! that should clear things up smile.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 9 2010, 08:31 PM)
saying you "already saw it live" is like saying "I already got laid 30 years ago... I don't need to do it again" lol

spit6ph.gif

Good one! Highfive!

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Apr 8 2010, 10:47 AM)
Already seen it live - no big deal

Me too. I've seen them play it at my very first show.

Guess what? It is a big deal. It's the number one song fans want to see played live that they hadn't played in years. It also happens to be one of my Rush favs. 1022.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 9 2010, 08:31 PM)
saying you "already saw it live" is like saying "I already got laid 30 years ago... I don't need to do it again" lol

z7shysterical.gif

This song on Moving Pictures is my favorite song on this album.

I think Rush did a wonderful job with displaying imagery through this song's music and lyrics.

I absolutely adore Geddy's bass lines throughout this track.

In my opinion, this song is a timeless masterpiece.

5 Rusty Stars out of 5 Rusty Stars

In fact, the whole album deserves 5 Rusty Stars!

* I have visited both cities ( New York and London ) and I have listened to The Camera Eye in both venues. Awesome! yes.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 9 2010, 07:31 PM)

no, its more like saying i got laid back when she was 18 and beautiful.

now that she is 48, wrinkled and withered its finally your turn to mount up....

Just imagine, after the intro with the cars and what not and that awesome silence at 2:14 the lights go down for effect. Then; Geddy's synth: WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH (Crowd goes nuts).

I can't f***ing wait.

If I may add my two cents on this topic;

My wife and I are Rush fans from the late 70's. She first saw them on the Kings tour and I first saw them on the Permanent Waves tour. I gotta say, some of you music geeks crack me up with your anti-Camera Eye rants. Yes, we all have our own lists on what we would like to hear them play live, but regardless of what your personal opinion is of "Camera Eye", its a song that is in the top 3 (last I looked) of most requested songs by Rush devotees all over the world and I for one, being an old school Rush fan would much rather hear Camera Eye than virtually anything they've written in the last 15-20 years.

Having said that, I understand and respect that many of you like the newer stuff and I expect to hear a portion of newer tunes whan I go to a Rush concert. Thas fine with me. I would also like to comment on those who call Camera Eye the weak spot on MP. Moving Pictures, in my opinion, is not only the best pound for pound album from top to bottom that Rush ever wrote and recorded, I would put it in my all time top 10 album list (Dark Side of the Moon, #1). There is no weak link on MP and if there was, I would probably say Vital Signs before I would say Camera Eye which you can dissect technically all you want but nevertheless, is a song that has an amazing sound to many Rush devotees including myself. I cannot wait to experience the Camera Eye live again after all these years of waiting.

Ok, thats my introductory rant. It is a pleasure to meet fellow Rush fans and I look forward to interacting with you guys and gals and discussing the upcoming tour which has me jumping through my skin.

QUOTE (traeplien @ Apr 10 2010, 10:16 AM)
My wife and I are Rush fans from the late 70's. She first saw them on the Kings tour and I first saw them on the Permanent Waves tour. I gotta say, some of you music geeks crack me up with your anti-Camera Eye rants. Yes, we all have our own lists on what we would like to hear them play live, but regardless of what your personal opinion is of "Camera Eye", its a song that is in the top 3 (last I looked) of most requested songs by Rush devotees all over the world and I for one, being an old school Rush fan would much rather hear Camera Eye than virtually anything they've written in the last 15-20 years.
Having said that, I understand and respect that many of you like the newer stuff and I expect to hear a portion of newer tunes whan I go to a Rush concert. Thas fine with me. I would also like to comment on those who call Camera Eye the weak spot on MP. Moving Pictures, in my opinion, is not only the best pound for pound album from top to bottom that Rush ever wrote and recorded, I would put it in my all time top 10 album list (Dark Side of the Moon, #1). There is no weak link on MP and if there was, I would probably say Vital Signs before I would say Camera Eye which you can dissect technically all you want but nevertheless, is a song that has an amazing sound to many Rush devotees including myself. I cannot wait to experience the Camera Eye live again after all these years of waiting.
Ok, thats my introductory rant. It is a pleasure to meet fellow Rush fans and I look forward to interacting with you guys and gals and discussing the upcoming tour which has me jumping through my skin.

trink39.gif 2.gif welcome to TRF!

QUOTE (traeplien @ Apr 10 2010, 10:16 AM)

Your first post is a winner, bud. Welcome to TRF trink39.gif

I had the pleasure of seeing TCE performed in 81 and again in 82 (abridged). It is one of my favorite Rush songs because of the "ambient" feel of it, for lack of a better word. It has a kind of atmosphere. That said, it was never one of their stronger tracks live. Yes, they performed it well, but it always kinda brought the crowd down to a simmer. I think that's why they dropped it. Maybe this time around will be different..

I tend to be a purist, and I enjoy songs performed in their entirety (I still think the '97 version of 2112 was incomplete due to the abridged Grand Finale). But TCE is an exception where I think the abridged version works best live. Oh well, whatever, a lot of people are going to love it.

QUOTE (spitball @ Apr 10 2010, 11:31 AM)
I tend to be a purist, and I enjoy songs performed in their entirety (I still think the '97 version of 2112 was incomplete due to the abridged Grand Finale).

Grand Finale was abridged?

No, but I think people hear it that way because the soloing is missing. It's not any shorter though, Alex simply played the power chords under where the soloing would have been. And in fact the whole 2112 piece is significantly longer because of the added Alex stuff in Discovery. I'll go listen again to be absolutely sure but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Once again let me just say lets be glad we get to see our favorite band( well for most of us cool.gif perform at all.

I don't know a band out there that puts on a better show for their fans!

rantoff.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 10 2010, 03:30 PM)

Once again let me just say lets be glad we get to see our favorite band( well for most of us cool.gif  perform at all. 

rantoff.gif  tongue.gif

goodpost.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Apr 10 2010, 02:30 PM)

Once again let me just say lets be glad we get to see our favorite band( well for most of us cool.gif perform at all.

rantoff.gif tongue.gif

AGREED, I don't care what else they play and how they'll play it. I'm just excited my favorite rock band is touring and touring in my favorite cities West Palm Beach and DC/VA.

I give them maybe 10 more years of touring so enjoy them while we can because then all we'll have are the dvd videos.

Peace

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 10 2010, 01:43 PM)

No, but I think people hear it that way because the soloing is missing. It's not any shorter though, Alex simply played the power chords under where the soloing would have been. And in fact the whole 2112 piece is significantly longer because of the added Alex stuff in Discovery. I'll go listen again to be absolutely sure but I'm pretty sure that's right.

You may be right, I don't know if The Grand Finale was actually shortened or not. But the missing solo is puzzling. It sure sounds better with the solo.