Jump to content


Rush's Most Technically Difficult Song?


  • Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 grasbo

grasbo

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 902 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:australia
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

Open handed drumming is when instead of your right arm crossing over to tap the hi hat cymbal which is on your left,the left arm/hand plays the hi hat and the right plays the snare(for a right hand drummer).In easy terms he is not crossing his arms to keep time .A left handed drummer often plays that way if he is playing a right handed drum set up.Just to confuse things even further I am right handed but left footed.I have a drum kit set up in the shed.It is all arse about face.I won't go into details,I 'll stick  to guitar.

Edited by grasbo, 05 January 2016 - 01:48 PM.


Sponsored Post

#122 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

View Postgrasbo, on 05 January 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

Open handed drumming is when instead of your right arm crossing over to tap the hi hat cymbal which is on your left,the left arm/hand plays the hi hat and the right plays the snare(for a right hand drummer).In easy terms he is not crossing his arms to keep time .A left handed drummer often plays that way if he is playing a right handed drum set up.Just to confuse things even further I am right handed but left footed.I have a drum kit set up in the shed.It is all arse about face.I won't go into details,I 'll stick  to guitar.

So you would have to be ambidextrous?

#123 MMCXII

MMCXII

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6215 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Edmonton Alberta
  • Interests:Playing drums, creating art, building hot rods, sacred geometry and spirituality, Metal detecting, mountain biking, camping/canoeing, off roading, motorcycles.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostLorraine, on 05 January 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 05 January 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

Open handed drumming is when instead of your right arm crossing over to tap the hi hat cymbal which is on your left,the left arm/hand plays the hi hat and the right plays the snare(for a right hand drummer).In easy terms he is not crossing his arms to keep time .A left handed drummer often plays that way if he is playing a right handed drum set up.Just to confuse things even further I am right handed but left footed.I have a drum kit set up in the shed.It is all arse about face.I won't go into details,I 'll stick  to guitar.

So you would have to be ambidextrous?

I think that's what I said grasbo no?? And I'm not sure if ambidextrous is the right way to put it..you do need to be coordinated though..

And grasbo your setup sounds interesting.. reminds me of Ringo kind of.. left handed drummer on a right handed setup lol

Edited by MMCXII, 05 January 2016 - 03:54 PM.


#124 Todem

Todem

    Brosaucerous

  • Members
  • 2338 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Parkland, Florida
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

View Postoldphilly, on 28 February 2010 - 11:38 AM, said:

Collectlively maybe LaVilla or Free Will?


Turn the Page has a really tricky bass line.And the fact that Geddy sings over it is crazy.I believe he mentions it took him 3 months to work that up for the HYF tour.

Yeah this song is seriously tough live for Geddy. I love the Show of Hands version of it too. That extra keyboard blast (not on the studio version) on the first chorus (you know exactly what I am talking about) is so sublime.

I would say La Villa, Natural Science and a host of the Power Windows/Hold Your Fire stuff are the most technically challenging for the band. And considering the fact pre 2000's Rush they had the highest standard (and of course a little younger and in better shape) of performance of every note, riff, beat, cymbal crash etc it was amazing seeing them pull of these songs live. They always recorded with the intent of being able to reproduce almost every song live (they always left a production piece for one spot and back then it was songs like Different Strings, Witch Hunt, Losing It etc).

#125 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostMMCXII, on 05 January 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 05 January 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 05 January 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

Open handed drumming is when instead of your right arm crossing over to tap the hi hat cymbal which is on your left,the left arm/hand plays the hi hat and the right plays the snare(for a right hand drummer).In easy terms he is not crossing his arms to keep time .A left handed drummer often plays that way if he is playing a right handed drum set up.Just to confuse things even further I am right handed but left footed.I have a drum kit set up in the shed.It is all arse about face.I won't go into details,I 'll stick  to guitar.

So you would have to be ambidextrous?

I think that's what I said grasbo no?? And I'm not sure if ambidextrous is the right way to put it..you do need to be coordinated though..

And grasbo your setup sounds interesting.. reminds me of Ringo kind of.. left handed drummer on a right handed setup lol

It's not so easy to do things with your left hand if you are right-handed.  It must take a lot of practice before it doesn't feel odd doing it.  But that's just me, and I have no talent, so what would I know?  :lol: :Neil:

#126 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 20493 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostLorraine, on 05 January 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

View PostMMCXII, on 05 January 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 05 January 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 05 January 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

Open handed drumming is when instead of your right arm crossing over to tap the hi hat cymbal which is on your left,the left arm/hand plays the hi hat and the right plays the snare(for a right hand drummer).In easy terms he is not crossing his arms to keep time .A left handed drummer often plays that way if he is playing a right handed drum set up.Just to confuse things even further I am right handed but left footed.I have a drum kit set up in the shed.It is all arse about face.I won't go into details,I 'll stick  to guitar.

So you would have to be ambidextrous?

I think that's what I said grasbo no?? And I'm not sure if ambidextrous is the right way to put it..you do need to be coordinated though..

And grasbo your setup sounds interesting.. reminds me of Ringo kind of.. left handed drummer on a right handed setup lol

It's not so easy to do things with your left hand if you are right-handed.  It must take a lot of practice before it doesn't feel odd doing it.  But that's just me, and I have no talent, so what would I know?  :lol: :Neil:

There's also some physiology in play here that is distinct from the question of being ambidextrous.

Try this: Sit at a table or a desk with your hands, facing forward, flat on the surface. Sit close enough to the left edge of the table that your left hand about 6 inches from the left edge of the table. Now lower your left arm to your side, pick up a pen or pencil in your right hand and cross your right arm in front of you so that you can tap the left edge of the desk. You'll notice that tapping in this position is just a matter of a very minor movement in your right wrist, and your right palm should be facing down toward the table. Now try that again, this time picking up the pencil in your left hand. Does this seem as comfortable to you, or are you having to tilt your left wrist a lot more in order to hit the edge of the desk, and does your left palm face almost straight up?

Now on a drum kit, you can raise/lower the hat to minimize how much your left wrist would have to tilt, but it's always going to be tilted more than if you cross over with your right hand.

#127 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

There was more of a strain with my left hand because I felt it in my wrist.

#128 JARG

JARG

    Pinky Moe

  • Members *
  • 20493 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Just east of Lyra, northwest of Pegasus...
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostLorraine, on 05 January 2016 - 07:43 PM, said:

There was more of a strain with my left hand because I felt it in my wrist.

Yeah, it's an awkward position.

#129 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

In light of all of this then, I noticed when watching the Synchronicity tour dvd, Stewart Copeland taping up his wrist and hand with what looked to me like electrical tape.  It was shiny black tape.  

What was the tape supposed to do for his hand?  Is it used as a type of brace?

#130 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

    Beauty and the Bass

  • Members
  • 21911 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Phoenix, Arizona
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostLorraine, on 05 January 2016 - 08:15 PM, said:

In light of all of this then, I noticed when watching the Synchronicity tour dvd, Stewart Copeland taping up his wrist and hand with what looked to me like electrical tape.  It was shiny black tape.  

What was the tape supposed to do for his hand?  Is it used as a type of brace?

Tape is usually more to prevent blisters or to cover them up.

#131 thirteen

thirteen

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 975 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

If I remember correctly Geddy has stated that they are always relieved to get through The Spirit of Radio.
Maybe not the most technically difficult, but apparently still a challenge to play live.

#132 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 59555 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

View PostLorraine, on 02 January 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 02 January 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 02 January 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

View PostMMCXII, on 02 January 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 02 January 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

I've been trying for over a year to get the air drums down to The Weapon.

Getting better but, out of Rush's entire forty year career, it is the only song that I marvel at how Neil was able to do it.  Even with those headphones on keeping a certain beat for him.

You know it's played open handed right? Left hand mainly on the high hat and right hand on the snare if you're right handed (opposite from typical right handed playing).

And if I may say, putting that much time into air drumming makes you a REAL Rush fan.  ..And part of the 10% ! ;)

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I don't know what "open handed right" even means in drumming. :lol:


I'll post a video for you...









;)

Don't forget I can't watch videos.
Really.  Why not?

#133 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 59555 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:14 PM

View PostMMCXII, on 05 January 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 05 January 2016 - 01:51 PM, said:

View Postgrasbo, on 05 January 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

Open handed drumming is when instead of your right arm crossing over to tap the hi hat cymbal which is on your left,the left arm/hand plays the hi hat and the right plays the snare(for a right hand drummer).In easy terms he is not crossing his arms to keep time .A left handed drummer often plays that way if he is playing a right handed drum set up.Just to confuse things even further I am right handed but left footed.I have a drum kit set up in the shed.It is all arse about face.I won't go into details,I 'll stick  to guitar.

So you would have to be ambidextrous?

I think that's what I said grasbo no?? And I'm not sure if ambidextrous is the right way to put it..you do need to be coordinated though..

And grasbo your setup sounds interesting.. reminds me of Ringo kind of.. left handed drummer on a right handed setup lol
Posted Image

This young man is playing open-handed.  Her left hand is playing the hi-hat (that's the double cymbaled thing :P ), while the right hand plays the snare.  Most people play cross-handed (right on hi-hat, left on snare)

https://www.youtube....h?v=AL0ib8uITRo

^^^ Link to the solo.  Kid's 9yo

Edited by goose, 05 January 2016 - 11:16 PM.


#134 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32410 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:00 AM

View Postnewworldman20, on 28 February 2010 - 10:45 AM, said:

i.e. The song where the sum of (drum difficulty) + (guitar difficulty) + (bass/keyboard/vocal difficulty) = is the highest.

Could it be La Villa?

You guys are damn close.  It's definitely a track off of "Hemispheres."

For me it's "Cygnus X-I Book II."  Nothing touches it.  Playing to it on the drums makes me smile like the Cheshire Cat.

#135 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

View Postgoose, on 05 January 2016 - 11:07 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 02 January 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 02 January 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 02 January 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

View PostMMCXII, on 02 January 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 02 January 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

I've been trying for over a year to get the air drums down to The Weapon.

Getting better but, out of Rush's entire forty year career, it is the only song that I marvel at how Neil was able to do it.  Even with those headphones on keeping a certain beat for him.

You know it's played open handed right? Left hand mainly on the high hat and right hand on the snare if you're right handed (opposite from typical right handed playing).

And if I may say, putting that much time into air drumming makes you a REAL Rush fan.  ..And part of the 10% ! ;)

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I don't know what "open handed right" even means in drumming. :lol:


I'll post a video for you...









;)

Don't forget I can't watch videos.
Really.  Why not?

Dial-up.  Used to be able to get five to seven seconds every minute.  But can't even do that anymore.

#136 GorillaStrangiato

GorillaStrangiato

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 102 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NW Indiana

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:18 PM

Hemispheres no question.

#137 Texas King

Texas King

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1849 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

Natural Science IMO.

#138 cygnusthecat

cygnusthecat

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 35 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas CIty

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

Great thread here folks!  Love the musician's perspective especially on The Weapon....

#139 lifeson90

lifeson90

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1252 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

Obvs there's that bit in the documentary where the band themselves talk about how difficult Good News First was to put together but dunno if they had particular difficulty playin it as such

Incidentally i hated that track for a good while at first but became one of my favs, for its sheer maturity really




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users