THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

daveyt

Argument from ignorance. The Wells report states that Brady "probably" cheated. That's not compelling evidence, except to persons whose team has been beaten by the Pats. I hear lots of sour grapes emanating from the pie holes of the team's critics, but have yet to witness one shred of actual evidence incriminate them. The last time I checked, innuendo and hyperbole don't convict. Proof does.

I pulled for the Patriots in the Super Bowl and I'm a big Brady fan. With that said, a punishment should be handed down. Especially since there have been other incidents. I would give them the option of A) Lose a first round pick next year and suspend Brady for four games or B) Don't suspend Brady and dock them the next two years first round picks. Add to either option, $2 million shaved off their salary cap.

For an infraction that the rules explicitly provide for at least a $25,000 fine? You think that instead they should lose a first round pick and suspend their QB for a quarter of the season, or lose two first round picks and put them at a competitive disadvantage to the tune of $2 million? Because balls were deflated about 1 psi or because Brady obviously lied about knowing McNally and likely his input about having the balls under 12.5 psi?

I've skimmed the report, so I'm not going to pretend I have enough to talk about the facts in too much detail. But I think I saw in there that on one gauge a few of the Colts' balls measured under 12.5 psi. Should they be fined? I'm not arguing that "everyone does it." I'm saying if this is such a serious rule violation, presumably the Colts should be penalized too, no? Maybe not as much as a team that got caught video taping what someone did in front of 80,000 people after the league said it knew all the teams were doing it, and they wanted it stopped, but something. Should Aaron Rodgers be fined for admitting he has the balls overinflated and hopes the refs don't catch it? Because an overinflated ball travels better, so it would help a QB with his passing. Again, I'm not deflecting. I'm simply asking if the league should treat this the way, curiously enough, many people connected in some way with the AFC, and on this board the AFC East, think it should be treated, and hammer anyone who violates the rule.

One question I do have is, if the league was alerted to the fact that the Patriots were cheating the way, say, the Yankees cheated in the late 90s early 00s with their rampant steriod use, before the game, why didn't the refs tell the Patriots they'd measure the balls before the game, and again at halftime, and have an official in the balls' presence throughout the game? Why let the Patriots cheat for half an AFC Championship?

How would you compare deflate-gate with what happened in New Orleans a few years ago. The Saints got some pretty damn stiff sanctions. Look, the Pats were going to win regardless of deflated balls. And as far is the report is concerned, I haven't read one word of it. From the outside looking in, it looks like Brady covered some stuff up. And because of that, Goodell may have to impose a pretty harsh penalty on the team.

The Saints were trying to hurt players. With two kids playing baseball, field hockey, ice hockey and track right now, and trying to squeeze in some work between TRF postings, I haven't read Attorney Wells' magnum opus completely either. However, what I've read suggests that the refs don't truly measure the psi of balls before games, they just feel them. I think any suggestion to the contrary by Walt Anderson is BS. When a ball seems underinflated, they pump it up. They don't use a gauge, leading to things like balls being at 16 psi. So Brady, having had that happen to him earlier last season (and maybe before) made clear to McNally and Jastremski that he'd like them to make sure the balls aren't overinflated. Even if it meant deflating them after the refs check them. Compared to hurting players? In all seriousness, it's like the difference between speeding and assault and battery.

Totally unrelated to the issue of the proper punishment, but worth noting for the "AHA! You see!? Those cheaters!" crowd (I know you're not part of it) is that the Patriots were leading the Colts by 7 at halftime of the AFC Championship. For the next six quarters the psi of their balls was under more scrutiny than the Clinton Foundation's donor list. And what happened?

I agree that the Saints issues were different than the Pats but I'm looking more along the lines of a supposed cover up. Sean Payton claimed that he didn't know anything about a bounty but the league didn't seem to believe him. I think the same thing will happen here. I don't expect a season long suspension but I do think he'll serve somewhere in the 4 to 8 game suspension. Pure speculation on my part. Because of your division, y'all should be able to over come a suspension in that range. I wonder if draft picks will be part of the punishment.

But the question is what were they "covering up?" Reducing the psi of balls by 1? As compared to hurting other players?

• Like 1

Argument from ignorance. The Wells report states that Brady "probably" cheated. That's not compelling evidence, except to persons whose team has been beaten by the Pats. I hear lots of sour grapes emanating from the pie holes of the team's critics, but have yet to witness one shred of actual evidence incriminate them. The last time I checked, innuendo and hyperbole don't convict. Proof does.

I pulled for the Patriots in the Super Bowl and I'm a big Brady fan. With that said, a punishment should be handed down. Especially since there have been other incidents. I would give them the option of A) Lose a first round pick next year and suspend Brady for four games or B) Don't suspend Brady and dock them the next two years first round picks. Add to either option, $2 million shaved off their salary cap.

For an infraction that the rules explicitly provide for at least a $25,000 fine? You think that instead they should lose a first round pick and suspend their QB for a quarter of the season, or lose two first round picks and put them at a competitive disadvantage to the tune of $2 million? Because balls were deflated about 1 psi or because Brady obviously lied about knowing McNally and likely his input about having the balls under 12.5 psi?

I've skimmed the report, so I'm not going to pretend I have enough to talk about the facts in too much detail. But I think I saw in there that on one gauge a few of the Colts' balls measured under 12.5 psi. Should they be fined? I'm not arguing that "everyone does it." I'm saying if this is such a serious rule violation, presumably the Colts should be penalized too, no? Maybe not as much as a team that got caught video taping what someone did in front of 80,000 people after the league said it knew all the teams were doing it, and they wanted it stopped, but something. Should Aaron Rodgers be fined for admitting he has the balls overinflated and hopes the refs don't catch it? Because an overinflated ball travels better, so it would help a QB with his passing. Again, I'm not deflecting. I'm simply asking if the league should treat this the way, curiously enough, many people connected in some way with the AFC, and on this board the AFC East, think it should be treated, and hammer anyone who violates the rule.

One question I do have is, if the league was alerted to the fact that the Patriots were cheating the way, say, the Yankees cheated in the late 90s early 00s with their rampant steriod use, before the game, why didn't the refs tell the Patriots they'd measure the balls before the game, and again at halftime, and have an official in the balls' presence throughout the game? Why let the Patriots cheat for half an AFC Championship?

How would you compare deflate-gate with what happened in New Orleans a few years ago. The Saints got some pretty damn stiff sanctions. Look, the Pats were going to win regardless of deflated balls. And as far is the report is concerned, I haven't read one word of it. From the outside looking in, it looks like Brady covered some stuff up. And because of that, Goodell may have to impose a pretty harsh penalty on the team.

The Saints were trying to hurt players. With two kids playing baseball, field hockey, ice hockey and track right now, and trying to squeeze in some work between TRF postings, I haven't read Attorney Wells' magnum opus completely either. However, what I've read suggests that the refs don't truly measure the psi of balls before games, they just feel them. I think any suggestion to the contrary by Walt Anderson is BS. When a ball seems underinflated, they pump it up. They don't use a gauge, leading to things like balls being at 16 psi. So Brady, having had that happen to him earlier last season (and maybe before) made clear to McNally and Jastremski that he'd like them to make sure the balls aren't overinflated. Even if it meant deflating them after the refs check them. Compared to hurting players? In all seriousness, it's like the difference between speeding and assault and battery.

Totally unrelated to the issue of the proper punishment, but worth noting for the "AHA! You see!? Those cheaters!" crowd (I know you're not part of it) is that the Patriots were leading the Colts by 7 at halftime of the AFC Championship. For the next six quarters the psi of their balls was under more scrutiny than the Clinton Foundation's donor list. And what happened?

I agree that the Saints issues were different than the Pats but I'm looking more along the lines of a supposed cover up. Sean Payton claimed that he didn't know anything about a bounty but the league didn't seem to believe him. I think the same thing will happen here. I don't expect a season long suspension but I do think he'll serve somewhere in the 4 to 8 game suspension. Pure speculation on my part. Because of your division, y'all should be able to over come a suspension in that range. I wonder if draft picks will be part of the punishment.

But the question is what were they "covering up?" Reducing the psi of balls by 1? As compared to hurting other players?

With all of the black eyes the league has taken over the past year, Goodell will probably come down with a fairly harsh penalty. It may have only been 1 psi but it's still roughly 9% or so of the total inflation. If it didn't make much of a difference then why do it? I'm pretty sure the grip felt differently. Regardless, I don't want to see Brady get a long suspension but something will come down and it may be fairly harsh.

Brady got four games. The Patriots were fined a million dollars and they forfeit a 1st round pick next year, and a 4th round pick in 2017.

This will be appealed until the end of time.

Tom Brady suspended four games for his role in #DeflateGate

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 11, 2015, 5:41 PM EDT

brady.jpg?w=250

The NFL didn’t wait long to digest the Ted Wells report, and issue its findings.

As punishment for the Patriots’ “more probable than not” tampering with footballs, the league has suspended quarterback Tom Brady four games, fined the team $1 million and taken away their first-round picks in 2016 and fourth-rounder in 2017.

The league was careful to note that the punishment was for the violation itself but also the “failure to cooperate in the subsequent investigation,” and that Brady’s suspension was for “conduct detrimental to the integrity of the NFL.”

Brady may participate in the offseason, training camp and preseason games, but pending appeal, will miss games against the Steelers, Bills, Jaguars and Cowboys.

“We reached these decisions after extensive discussion with Troy Vincent and many others,” commissioner Roger Goodell said in the league’s statement. “We relied on the critical importance of protecting the integrity of the game and the thoroughness and independence of the Wells report.”

That’s a huge penalty, and one which will certainly spark appeals, and much discussion in Boston and elsewhere.

It's not so harsh a punishment I don't think. It looks like they were punished more for not cooperating than anything else. This is probably why the Clowns only got a slap on the wrist for Noisegate, they licked Goodhell's boots throughout the "investigatation".

It's a 25,000 fine for having them under-inflated, not for stealing the balls after inspection and deflating them to 1-2 psi. Or for not cooperating with an investigation (team and Brady). And this is for a recidivist team.

How do you "steal" your own property?

Should the refs from the Patriots-Jets game be fined for pumping the Patriots' balls up to 16 psi (according to the texts upon which the league relies so heavily)?

The report didn't indicate that the Jets stole anything after the refs examined it. Or obstructed an investigation.

They didn't just reduce the psi by 1. This is very clearly presented in the report.

Edited by LedRush

Best Jeopardy clue ever....

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/1e/b5/tom-brady-jeopardy-071615-getty-ftrjpg_14vgmj8vmgj3i1lnvrx01qd8ox.jpg

Best Jeopardy clue ever....

http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/sporting_news/1e/b5/tom-brady-jeopardy-071615-getty-ftrjpg_14vgmj8vmgj3i1lnvrx01qd8ox.jpg

Peeping Tom Brady :LMAO: My favorite T-shirt is : Tom Brady sits when he pees!
  • Like 1

f**k this f***ing sucks...kind of makes you think Neil had a point in the lyrics to RTB...

Less than two years after New England Patriots offensive lineman Nate Solder beat cancer himself, he has revealed that his infant son is now facing his own cancer battle.

Solder, 27, and wife Lexi revealed at a charity event on Monday night that their son, Hudson, who was born in July, has a Wilms tumor in his kidneys and has received chemotherapy treatments at Boston Children's Hospital.

After making the sad announcement, Solder tweeted out some adorable images of a smiling Hudson.

Thank you everyone ! support the #JAF -God is better than we can imagine pic.twitter.com/nWpvjWjyH8

— Nate Solder (@soldernate) November 17, 2015

@joeandruzzifndn pic.twitter.com/a3UdbOdwEs

— Nate Solder (@soldernate) November 17, 2015

Solder is currently out for the season with a biceps injury. He was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2014 and treated before the NFL season, but started every game last year, and the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl.

In April, he spoke to reporters about his battle for National Testicular Cancer Awareness month.

Though the situation is certainly very unfortunate, Solder and his wife are hopeful that they can continue to use his popularity as an NFL player to raise awareness for childhood cancers, just as they did at Monday's Joe Andruzzi Foundation event.

CT-9yKzWoAIF2Cf.jpg

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery....

http://www.today.com/parents/patriots-lineman-cancer-survivor-reveals-infant-son-battling-cancer-t56546

• Like 3

Dodged a bullet with the GRONK injury.....that aside up 21-7 in the fourth quarter that team has to win the game. It matters none what calls were there or not.....also another key player they can't lose it their kicker, that guy is totally clutch this year.
  • Like 1

Dodged a bullet with the GRONK injury.....that aside up 21-7 in the fourth quarter that team has to win the game. It matters none what calls were there or not.....also another key player they can't lose it their kicker, that guy is totally clutch this year.

Yeah, Gronk is unbelievable. The weather must have been a pretty big issue to see that guy dropping a pass or two... only one jumps into my head.

That PI can was real ticky tack, but I have often seen "make-up calls" (although refs say there is no such thing.) In Packers games, say one guy is doing a little too much WR grabbing off the line, and they let it go 2 or 3 times. Coach McCarthy talks to a ref, and the next time he does it, it's called. This could have been a similar situation, but I didn't watch the game as closely as I would have if it were the Packers, so I'm not sure if he was... but odds are decent seeing he has the most Offensive PI calls

• Like 1

Oh, and another thing - with the safety net they are putting around the QBs, how was that high hit on Brady late in the game not called? Shit, someone got a unsportsmanlike call for pushing Russell Wilson INBOUNDS! They threw it because he was on his way out... but he was clearly still in, Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 1

Oh, and another thing - with the safety net they are putting around the QBs, how was that high hit on Brady late in the game not called? Shit, someone got a unsportsmanlike call for pushing Russell Wilson INBOUNDS! They threw it because he was on his way out... but he was clearly still in,

Yeah that call on the Steelers was absolute garbage.

• Like 1

Oh, and another thing - with the safety net they are putting around the QBs, how was that high hit on Brady late in the game not called? Shit, someone got a unsportsmanlike call for pushing Russell Wilson INBOUNDS! They threw it because he was on his way out... but he was clearly still in,

Yeah that call on the Steelers was absolute garbage.

An athletic QB like Wilson could be making it look like he's going out, plant his foot and keep going... pretty soon they'll start throwing flags for hitting the QB after a handoff while he's carrying out a fake. If he's pretending to have the ball, he's fair game. Take that away and the QBS will start running all over the place.

The holding call on Chung was a joke. But what can you do?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaah

It's a little troubling to continually see you so heartily embrace authority figures' misconduct in service of an end of which you approve.

Misconduct? You mean like Judge Berman?

Or should calling penalties against the Patriots now call for a federal judge's approval.

In 44 states, that's a penalty.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaah