Greta Van Fleet vs. The Struts

Entre_Perpetuo

Choose one  

10 members have voted

1. 1. band

• Greta Van Fleet
    • The Struts

Wow, this is though for me as they are the only new bands I’m even aware of. I prefer GVF when I’m in a more serious mellow mood. The Struts when I want to pop and get moving.

The hate for GVF is ridiculous. They are a wonderful young band with so many wonderful songs.

And so many people who whine about a lack of originality I also see fawning over really unoriginal fare.

Young band, hearts in the right places, a love for classic rock of various eras, and they write and play their own material. Is it envy that they found an audience whilst your personal bland faves have not?

They are wonderful. And I think they sound like a mixture of Yes, Led Zeppelin and early nineties alt rock.

Looooove them.

Well, I personally don’t remember saying that they lack originality. I only dislike the singer‘s voice. Hate, really. Sure, he’s trying to emulate Plant and that’s fine but it annoys me to where I can’t even focus on any decent elements the band actually has.

What’s ridiculous about hating someone’s voice? I’m sure everyone hates a vocalist or two out there.

Ozzy Osborne, I rather listen to finger nails crossing a chalkboard.

Imo they're obviously both derivatives of old bands. Queen and Led Zeppelin respectively. That's a bit too obvious for me to like them for themselves, as this is a strong influencing factor. Its for kids who don't know better. :codger: :codger: :LOL: They'll no doubt develop their own style over time. Give em chance.

I see the Struts have collaborated with Robbie Williams recently. That's not helped their appeal for me tho. :LOL:

• Like 1

The hate for GVF is ridiculous. They are a wonderful young band with so many wonderful songs.

And so many people who whine about a lack of originality I also see fawning over really unoriginal fare.

Young band, hearts in the right places, a love for classic rock of various eras, and they write and play their own material. Is it envy that they found an audience whilst your personal bland faves have not?

They are wonderful. And I think they sound like a mixture of Yes, Led Zeppelin and early nineties alt rock.

Looooove them.

Well, I personally don’t remember saying that they lack originality. I only dislike the singer‘s voice. Hate, really. Sure, he’s trying to emulate Plant and that’s fine but it annoys me to where I can’t even focus on any decent elements the band actually has.

What’s ridiculous about hating someone’s voice? I’m sure everyone hates a vocalist or two out there.

Ozzy Osborne, I rather listen to finger nails crossing a chalkboard.

what WHAT

Imo they're obviously both derivatives of old bands. Queen and Led Zeppelin respectively. That's a bit too obvious for me to like them for themselves, as this is a strong influencing factor. Its for kids who don't know better. :codger: :codger: :LOL: They'll no doubt develop their own style over time. Give em chance.

I see the Struts have collaborated with Robbie Williams recently. That's not helped their appeal for me tho. :LOL:

actually i agree with the bold exactly.

it's why i loathe the argument. "it gets the kids into older bands!!!!"

JUST SHOW THEMTHE OLDER BANDS!!!!!!!!"

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Mick

It's the parents fault really. They're not introducing their kids to good music. I'm glad my parents didn't fail me there.

• Like 2

Mick

It's the parents fault really. They're not introducing their kids to good music. I'm glad my parents didn't fail me there.

i have an uncle who's house is basically a 60/70/80's music archive. that's how i got my education.

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

i have an uncle who's house is basically a 60/70/80's music archive. that's how i got my education.

Mick

FlashyDimpledHairstreak-small.gif

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

FlashyDimpledHairstreak-small.gif

ernie-the-fastest-milkman.jpg

• Like 2

Greta Van Fleet is immensely overhated here.

They can't be overhated because they are really bad.

That makes 0 sense...

Okay, here’s hi_water sense...

1) Many people like a song or band but hi_water doesn’t think it’s special / dislikes it = the song or band is overrated

2) Many people dislike a song or band but hi_water thinks it’s awesome = the song or band is overhated

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

http://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlashyDimpledHairstreak-small.gif

ernie-the-fastest-milkman.jpg

Fred Scuttle!!!

That makes 0 sense...

1) Many people like a song or band but hi_water doesn’t think it’s special / dislikes it = the song or band is overrated

2) Many people dislike a song or band but hi_water thinks it’s awesome = the song or band is overhated

on this forum, most likely

That makes 0 sense...

You’re the guy who thinks Xanadu is overrated and Bravest Face (or something similar) is a masterpiece so there’s that.

That makes 0 sense...

You’re the guy who thinks Xanadu is overrated and Bravest Face (or something similar) is a masterpiece so there’s that.

Xanadu >>>>>>>> Bravest Face

:)

• Like 1

That makes 0 sense...

Xanadu >>>>>>>> Bravest Face

:)

Okay, you might not be in need of a straightjacket after all.

• Like 2

Wow this got a lot more traction than I expected, lol. And the number of people voting for The Struts who have never heard of them just to vote against GVF is pretty hilarious.

Another odd tidbit, they played a GVF song at my school's football game today. I was really surprised. I guess that is the perfect atmosphere to play something that sounds enough like Led Zeppelin to fool people who aren't listening without actually playing Led Zeppelin.

I initially really didn't like GVF, but I came around to thinking they're pretty decent. Still not crazy about something in the singer's throat, but when he steps back or at least lessens his gargling the rest of the band plays pretty well together.

The Struts I liked their first two singles a lot, but listening to the whole debut album I realized the guitars were really far back in the mix and, as much as I do like the singer's voice, the vocals were way too high in the mix. I've tried later singles and they seem really intent on carving out a glammy, but distinctly modern niche, which is neat...but I still want more guitar lol.