The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

UK Government has just cast the first big blow against the Greedy Bastards.

Boris Johnson`s Tory party to protect against capitalist greed and pledges to save the national game for the working man.

In other news, a million satirists were made redundant.

Are there any Conservative politicians left in Western Europe? :P The people in this thread seem to agree. The only ones in favor of this monstrosity are the organizers and a handful of clubs. Let's say, for the sake of argument, things stay as they are. Egypt without Salah, England without Kane...good Lord, we'd be stuck with Fabianski. :o

There are plenty in the UK, upholding their traditional values of cronyism, nationalism, sleaze, under-funding of schools and hospitals, igniting division and hatred and thwarting social mobility - oh, they are still around, don`t worry about that :rage:

Shouldn't you be in favor of the Super League, then? That would put a dent in at least "nationalism", destroying international competition in football. ;)

The last refuge of the scoundrel, to paraphrase. There`s nothing healthy about the nationalism propagated by this government :smash:

Dear Mr Bielsa :heart: ..?

But would he leave a big club like Leeds for Spurs? :outtahere:

A turbulent three days at Spurs would fit so perfectly on his CV. I take no umbrage at your remark - it's not untrue, as you may see tonight!

Well, Leeds are on par with Liverpool, apparently!

Super League, indeed . . .

• Like 1

Boris Johnson`s Tory party to protect against capitalist greed and pledges to save the national game for the working man.

Are there any Conservative politicians left in Western Europe? :P The people in this thread seem to agree. The only ones in favor of this monstrosity are the organizers and a handful of clubs. Let's say, for the sake of argument, things stay as they are. Egypt without Salah, England without Kane...good Lord, we'd be stuck with Fabianski. :o

There are plenty in the UK, upholding their traditional values of cronyism, nationalism, sleaze, under-funding of schools and hospitals, igniting division and hatred and thwarting social mobility - oh, they are still around, don`t worry about that :rage:

Shouldn't you be in favor of the Super League, then? That would put a dent in at least "nationalism", destroying international competition in football. ;)

The last refuge of the scoundrel, to paraphrase. There`s nothing healthy about the nationalism propagated by this government :smash:

Ouch!
  • Like 1

Ouch!

You're good! We could all learn a thing or two from you. You can see why I fled to Scotland to avoid England and its propensity to anger up the blood. Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

Ouch!

You're good! We could all learn a thing or two from you. You can see why I fled to Scotland to avoid England and its propensity to anger up the blood.

Mel Gibson would be proud. :madra:

Strong effort to immediately remove Inter, Milan and Juventus from league play. Atalanta wants to be Serie A champions this season. What say you, Sun&Moon?

That would be a surprise Scudetto... Atalanta is naturally promoting the possibility to earn their way to the UCL the next season and in the future as well. Super League would absolutely be a disaster for Serie A because the league would lose a great bunch of money in the TV deals. The idea of a super league has been greeted with a freezing welcome in Italy. Atalanta took their first win against Juve in 20 years on Sunday and was proud to declare that the big trio should leave Serie A in case they would join the Super League.

I'm not at all convinced that the already infamous Super League will see the day of light. I guess nobody is.

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 3

It looks like it's unravelling already!

Of course. After tonight's result, they'd have to allow Brighton & Hove to join in. :P

I have to say, it`s pretty amusing that Spurs feel part of the 6. or indeed, 12 in all of Europe. Based on fancy stadia, maybe, but c`mon... the last thing we need is to turn more clubs against us and make them try harder. We were already being very accommodating :fuckinputer:
  • Like 1

Of course. After tonight's result, they'd have to allow Brighton & Hove to join in. :P

I have to say, it`s pretty amusing that Spurs feel part of the 6. or indeed, 12 in all of Europe. Based on fancy stadia, maybe, but c`mon... the last thing we need is to turn more clubs against us and make them try harder. We were already being very accommodating :fuckinputer:

Looks like it is all over, all six have bowed to mounting public pressure ........ but it has left a bad taste in the mouth.
  • Like 2

Looks like it is all over, all six have bowed to mounting public pressure ........ but it has left a bad taste in the mouth.

Honestly, I`m baffled. How can a dozen (and more) incredibly successful international businessmen that don`t use the toilet without a PR guru and communications expert make such a crassulent move?

I`m a cynical man. I suspect this must have been a move to strengthen their negotiating hand with the PL, UEFA and FIFA. If it proves to be more than just be a pyrrhic victory for the traditional football structure, with more chapters to come, I am struggling to comprehend the boneheadness of it.

• Like 3

I don't know what your tolerance for American footy commentary is, but this was a fun read for the Spurs ironic: https://www.theringer.com/2021/4/19/22392314/european-super-league-pyramid-scheme

• Like 2

I`m a cynical man. I suspect this must have been a move to strengthen their negotiating hand with the PL, UEFA and FIFA. If it proves to be more than just be a pyrrhic victory for the traditional football structure, with more chapters to come, I am struggling to comprehend the boneheadness of it.

I was wondering the same thing. After John Henry practically prostrated himself in the apology video he put up, I thought "How surprised could they really be?"

• Like 1

Honestly, I`m baffled. How can a dozen (and more) incredibly successful international businessmen that don`t use the toilet without a PR guru and communications expert make such a crassulent move?

I think this is just the beginning. The fans and popular opinion (certainly in the UK) have taken round one. Listening on the lunchtime news, a reporter in Madrid said that Real & Barcelona were the most reluctant to withdraw from it and in general, fans there didn't seem to mind the concept. Barcelona's Koeman has come out slamming UEFA, accusing them of being greedy. I think this may be the start of a war to force reforms in the sport.

Look, whether we like it or not, there is inequality between teams. A team like Man City can lash out stupid money on a set of midfielders. If they don't work they can go and lash out more on alternatives. How do other teams who don't have mega wealthy owners hope to compete long term with that?

Edited by zepphead

I don't know what your tolerance for American footy commentary is, but this was a fun read for the Spurs ironic: https://www.theringe...-pyramid-scheme

In our defence, we`ve been present in the top league for a longer period than Chelsea and Man City and with Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal and Utd, have not been relegated in the PL era. That is how we qualify as a mighty superpower :ph34r:

I think this is just the beginning. The fans and popular opinion (certainly in the UK) have taken round one. Listening on the lunchtime news, a reporter in Madrid said that Real & Barcelona were the most reluctant to withdraw from it and in general, fans there didn't seem to mind the concept. Barcelona's Koeman has come out slamming UEFA, accusing them of being greedy. I think this may be the start of a war to force reforms in the sport.

Look, whether we like it or not, there is inequality between teams. A team like Man City can lash out stupid money on a set of midfielders. If they don't work they can go and lash out more on alternatives. How do other teams who don't have mega wealthy owners hope to compete long term with that?

Well, there was a time that Clough could take two provincial clubs to the highest echelons, and more recently, there was Leicester. It could be done, and that is why the big teams are acting - they still haven`t quite eliminated the competition on the field and with 11 v 11, the result is still not absolutely pre-determined, and that won`t do at all.
  • Like 3

A disappointing draw for Atalanta after a beautiful first half. Napoli's playing looks good at the moment against Lazio, might threaten Atalanta's 3rd position. Edited by Sun & Moon

The amounts of debt among the big 12 (in euros) 1) Chelsea 1,51 billion, 2) Tottenham 1,28 billion, 3) Barcelona 1,17 billion, 4) Real 900 million, 5) Inter 630 million, 6) Man U 528 million, 7) Atletico 494 million, 8) Juventus 357 million, 9) Liverpool 272 million, 10) Man City 200 million, 11) Milan 151 million, 12) Arsenal 125 million.

The amounts of debt among the big 12 (in euros) 1) Chelsea 1,51 billion, 2) Tottenham 1,28 billion, 3) Barcelona 1,17 billion, 4) Real 900 million, 5) Inter 630 million, 6) Man U 528 million, 7) Atletico 494 million, 8) Juventus 357 million, 9) Liverpool 272 million, 10) Man City 200 million, 11) Milan 151 million, 12) Arsenal 125 million.

Football is bad business. The trick of turning the true value of the sport (emotions and identities) into money is not an easy task. If the forces behind the stupid idea of a super league have not managed it so far, creating new value in a super league would not be any easier.

Truly eye-watering sums of money. Awful.