Your top 5 Eagles songs!

:blah: Agree with all three posts above.

Glenn's songs are too twangy for me. When I was listening to the Eagles on Saturday, I thought to myself that a steady diet of them would be a bit too much for me. Don, on the other hand, was different. His I could stand better.

you ever try Glenn's solo stuff.? oh my he needed that band bad. lol. and he was nowhere near as successful solo as henley. Henley had good success in the 80's. and knowing Glenn's personality that must have ate at him, lol. he had a few hits but Henley had more.

Mick

He was obnoxious, no doubt about that. I never understood why either. He must've been very insecure.

I know I've heard his solo music, but it was so memorable, I forgot it. :laughing guy:

i probably shouldn't 't be so harsh. but it's hard when every interview i've seen he's so smug. Henlety is too don't get me wrong.....but he's more like old windbag boring who loves to hear himself talk. Glenn ALWAYS came across as far more scheming and devious.

i bet he was insecure though.

Mick

So much cocaine and paranoia.

I think these guys get so insulated by their management they then realize that management is in control of them - their finances, and control over the career.

I've come to admire all of them no matter what I think of them personally because they are talented, dedicated, and got worked almost to death to make a buck and many of them got robbed by their managers and/or record deals.

It's not like that so much today I don't think, but in their day and up through at least the nineties, it was. Look at Van Halen. That was no overnight success. Eddie might be a jerk, but he and his brother practiced and practiced and practiced and worked hard to get where they got.

Unless, of course, you marry a record execs daughter. ;)

Or sister, which is what I believe Alex did - he married Ray Danniels' sister!

But that was in the 1990's - Van Halen had already made it long before that.

• Like 1

The Last Resort

Very underappreciated song imo.

I'm actually shocked how much New Kid is overlooked...not even an Eagles fan but come on.

It wasn't when it was released as the first single off the album though. It was ALL over the radio summer '77. I remember partying at Marymoor Park in Redmond (near Seattle) and playing softball and that song blaring out of someone's car. No doubt though that the the title track and Life In The Fast Lane eventually eclipsed it in terms of (over?)exposure.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1

The Last Resort

I'm actually shocked how much New Kid is overlooked...not even an Eagles fan but come on.

It wasn't when it was released as the first single off the album though. It was ALL over the radio summer '77. I remember partying at Marymoor Park in Redmond (near Seattle) and playing softball and that song blaring out of someone's car. No doubt though that the the title track and Life In The Fast Lane eventually eclipsed it in terms of (over?)exposure.

The Last Resort

Right, I was too young when it came out but it seems a lot of fans overlook it now.

Edited by Steevo

I never heared 5 Eagles songs which I think are top... :outtahere: Edited by greyfriar

The Last Resort

I picked it but i can see how it can be overlooked if you can only have 5 picks. They really have a bunch of great songs imo.

• Like 1

It's hard to pick 5 because I like alot of thier songs...

1. One of these nights

2. I can't tell you why

3. Lyin' Eyes

4. Get over It

5. Already Gone

• Like 1

How many Eagles songs did Joe Walsh write?

Life In The Fast Lane

That's all that came up when I typed the question in. :huh:

I'm surprised he didn't write Victim of Love because it sounds like a Joe Walsh song

Edited by Lorraine

Has anyone ever watched this:

http://youtu.be/c8QCkhzMkLI

They came to Spokane during this tour. If I had known Glenn was going to kick the bucket shortly thereafter and that they sounded so good in concert, I would have gone.

Watched it many times and have it on Blu-Ray. Saw the tour over here in Portland. I'm sad you didn't go. They are excellent live if you like bands that are extremely faithful to sounding live like they do on album. They don't improvise. Some people don't like that approach, others do. You'll get a bit of improv from Joe when they do his solo/James Gang songs but that's about it. All that said, they are one of the best sounding live bands you'll ever hear. I'll also recommend that you go see them in their new iteration with Glenn's son Deacon and Vince Gill in his stead. You won't be disappointed. It's a tick below the band with Glenn but not much.

If you do a youtube search "Eagles Forum" you'll get an idea of what they sound like now. Be prepared though, if they come back to Spokane and you decide you want to go, the tix are expensive (though that's true of almost everyone these days).

• Like 1

How did they manage to maintain their singing voices?

The $64,000 question isn't it? To me that's the most remarkable aspect of the band. Schmidt, Walsh and Henley still sound incredible and they're in their 70s! Vince Gill still sounds really good too though he's I think somewhat younger. I mean they're still such good singers they perform "Seven Bridges Road" nearly acapella nightly. This is from '18.

http://youtu.be/XArZ74galOE

• Like 1

They came to Spokane during this tour. If I had known Glenn was going to kick the bucket shortly thereafter and that they sounded so good in concert, I would have gone.

Watched it many times and have it on Blu-Ray. Saw the tour over here in Portland. I'm sad you didn't go. They are excellent live if you like bands that are extremely faithful to sounding live like they do on album. They don't improvise. Some people don't like that approach, others do. You'll get a bit of improv from Joe when they do his solo/James Gang songs but that's about it. All that said, they are one of the best sounding live bands you'll ever hear. I'll also recommend that you go see them in their new iteration with Glenn's son Deacon and Vince Gill in his stead. You won't be disappointed. It's a tick below the band with Glenn but not much.

If you do a youtube search "Eagles Forum" you'll get an idea of what they sound like now. Be prepared though, if they come back to Spokane and you decide you want to go, the tix are expensive (though that's true of almost everyone these days).

Concert-going days are over for good for me. I can't very well drag my husband along to them. Nor can I afford to spend (nor could I any longer justify spending) an exorbitant amount of money to see anyone in concert, no matter who

Concert-going days are over for good for me. I can't very well drag my husband along to them. Nor can I afford to spend (nor could I any longer justify spending) an exorbitant amount of money to see anyone in concert, no matter who

I am sorry that's the case but at least there's plenty of video of plenty of great artists to enjoy. The next best thing.

By the way, Henley's voice is still so good live that he absolutely nails the falsetto part at the end of One of These Nights ("....comin right behind you, swear I'm gonna find you, getcha baby one of these nights".)

• Like 1

I am sorry that's the case but at least there's plenty of video of plenty of great artists to enjoy. The next best thing.

By the way, Henley's voice is still so good live that he absolutely nails the falsetto part at the end of One of These Nights ("....comin right behind you, swear I'm gonna find you, getcha baby one of these nights".)

I noticed that.

With Glenn, I did notice though that he seemed to be singing on a lower note during certain songs.

I noticed that.

With Glenn, I did notice though that he seemed to be singing on a lower note during certain songs.

Yeah his voice was starting to fail just a bit. As he got warmed up while the show was progressing, it improved to near what it was in his younger days.