Revisiting Every Rush Album In Order: All The World's A Stage (1976)

Segue Myles

This is an entertaining read. Love to see that enthusiasm sparked!

I've been really depressed most of this year, dealing with anxiety and mood swings and I've been really sensitive.

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to enjoy things again: books/music/food.

Rush are a band that mean more to me than I even realise! And reconnecting with their discography with fresh ears (rather than old opinions not informed by recent listens) is great!

I have put this marathon off for a long time because I don't remember the early albums as fondly as I now realise I should. I'd like to write proper essays on each album, and may just do so. But fully researched ones. A little hobby really.

I plan to fill all the gaps in my collection (live albums/DVDs/Documentaries). For their live releases, I am relying on Spotify. I own all their studio work.

I even plan to do this with two bands I am very unfamiliar with but am dying to listen too closely:

Queen

Black Sabbath

Actually, Judas Priest as well.

• Like 2

All these threads have been very fun to read. It almost feels like you never listened to Rush before this lol.

I am honestly really not that well informed on early Rush.

Before today I couldn't have named you a single song off the debut, I don't remember it fondly at all. Fly By Night I often play in the background. Caress Of Steel is the exception here because I enjoy that album and was really excited to write in its defence!

As for 2112, I remembered every song but I thought the second side Was very bland. WRONG!

I haven't really paid any attention to a single one of the live Rush albums. Even Different Stages, which I really like, has mainly been skipped through.

And listening chronologically gave me a renewed enthusiasm for early Rush. Across the span of three years, Rush developed faster than any other band in my collection! From the debut to 2112...MAGNIFICENT GROWTH! It made me appreciate the debut even more.

I should probably finish my night listening to the two non-album Rush songs.

But yes, the first stage of Rush's career is perhaps my least listened too. It was so much fun!

I am curious to see how my newfound enthusiasm affects my opinion on the next four albums, considering I treat AFTK onwards as the sound of a MUCH GREATER RUSH than what had come before.

Honestly? I think there is a chance I might prefer 2112 to AFTK...possibly even CoS. Cannot wait!

But I am Rushed out.

I also want to get us as a forum enthusiastic about our beloved band again.

I do slightly worry about having to critique Test For Echo again...I have tried putting it on several times this year and...let's say...erm...I couldn't go through with it.

Signals and Power Windows are turn offs too. But hey ho it's a journey all the same!

I've been really depressed most of this year, dealing with anxiety and mood swings and I've been really sensitive.

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to enjoy things again: books/music/food.

Rush are a band that mean more to me than I even realise! And reconnecting with their discography with fresh ears (rather than old opinions not informed by recent listens) is great!

I have put this marathon off for a long time because I don't remember the early albums as fondly as I now realise I should. I'd like to write proper essays on each album, and may just do so. But fully researched ones. A little hobby really.

I plan to fill all the gaps in my collection (live albums/DVDs/Documentaries). For their live releases, I am relying on Spotify. I own all their studio work.

I even plan to do this with two bands I am very unfamiliar with but am dying to listen too closely:

Queen

Black Sabbath

I look forward to reading any and all of that!

• Like 1

Queen

Black Sabbath

Thanks!

Last time I was low music pulled me out of it. I want to stretch my musical legs a little and try some classic bands again!

I have a feeling Queen will leave me a lil cold, but Black Sabbath I am really interested in and I think I could love Judas Priest.

I could do this with Dream Theater but I already tried that and I didn't really enjoy them at all. I had my brief infatuation with them in 2015, that ended with me really disliking them!

But yeah, evaluating Rush once more is great fun. It's already been so rewarding! I told myself to empty my head of preconceptions and any thoughts as to what other fans have said, basically anything negative that could affect my judgement (positive too) and just enjoy each SONG as it played.

Amazingly, that approach worked so well for the debut. And I really like Fly By Night but I actually think its a slight disappointment after the first record. Everything good about was expanded up and bettered on the next two!

And as for ATWAS, I would love to listen to all four of the first live albums played live like that from start to finish! Beneath And Between is a song I wish I could hear live.

• Like 1

Queen

Black Sabbath

Thanks!

Last time I was low music pulled me out of it. I want to stretch my musical legs a little and try some classic bands again!

I have a feeling Queen will leave me a lil cold, but Black Sabbath I am really interested in and I think I could love Judas Priest.

I could do this with Dream Theater but I already tried that and I didn't really enjoy them at all. I had my brief infatuation with them in 2015, that ended with me really disliking them!

But yeah, evaluating Rush once more is great fun. It's already been so rewarding! I told myself to empty my head of preconceptions and any thoughts as to what other fans have said, basically anything negative that could affect my judgement (positive too) and just enjoy each SONG as it played.

Amazingly, that approach worked so well for the debut. And I really like Fly By Night but I actually think its a slight disappointment after the first record. Everything good about was expanded up and bettered on the next two!

And as for ATWAS, I would love to listen to all four of the first live albums played live like that from start to finish! Beneath And Between is a song I wish I could hear live.

Yeah I’ll be pleasantly surprised if Queen sticks with you this time, but I have a good feeling out you getting into Sabbath and Priest. Also you totally can hear Beneath Between and Behind live, it’s on ESL! :D

• Like 1

Queen

Black Sabbath

Thanks!

Yeah I’ll be pleasantly surprised if Queen sticks with you this time, but I have a good feeling out you getting into Sabbath and Priest. Also you totally can hear Beneath Between and Behind live, it’s on ESL! :D

I honestly really enjoyed my last marathon. When I do it again, if I format it like this, I'd love your input too. Same goes for Judas Priest and Sabbath (actually would really love Treeduck to do so too because he is a metal encyclopedia and he's tried to turn me onto both before!).

I would do Maiden but I must admit I am already very familiar with their work, and I'd like to try other bands first.

Rush have to be first because they are a band I have been dying to marathon for ages.

• Like 1

Queen

Black Sabbath

Thanks!

I honestly really enjoyed my last marathon. When I do it again, if I format it like this, I'd love your input too. Same goes for Judas Priest and Sabbath (actually would really love Treeduck to do so too because he is a metal encyclopedia and he's tried to turn me onto both before!).

I would do Maiden but I must admit I am already very familiar with their work, and I'd like to try other bands first.

Rush have to be first because they are a band I have been dying to marathon for ages.

Student life is rarely condusive to music and forum marathons, but I do manage to make in on here quite a bit anyway, so if I catch you doing one I’ll try to jump in.

• Like 1

Queen

Black Sabbath

Thanks!

Student life is rarely condusive to music and forum marathons, but I do manage to make in on here quite a bit anyway, so if I catch you doing one I’ll try to jump in.

I do shift work full time in hospitality. I am the same (hence why you see me listening to the same old albums all the time).

• Like 1

Queen

Black Sabbath

Thanks!

I do shift work full time in hospitality. I am the same (hence why you see me listening to the same old albums all the time).

I wonder if there’s a lifestyle that is condusive to marathons come to think of it, lol. Hard to beat go to records that get you through the work day. I know I spun a lot of angsty rock and metal the past couple years to keep me going.

• Like 1

Queen

Black Sabbath

Thanks!

I wonder if there’s a lifestyle that is condusive to marathons come to think of it, lol. Hard to beat go to records that get you through the work day. I know I spun a lot of angsty rock and metal the past couple years to keep me going.

Paradise Lost on loop for two years for me!

• Like 1

pre-sterilization, pre-professionalism. they might have even consumed alcohol before these performances. heavy metal

Damn right this is metal!

Anyone who doubts is a revisionist twunt.

I find this album energetic and enthusiastic. It's the only Rush live album I enjoy and appreciate with repeated listens. Is it the "big bang" of Rush?

I still look forward to hearing more Rush live albums. But this one is hard to beat!

Edited by Segue Myles

What have I learned today?

That the first stage of Rush's career is astoundingly great. The debut is killer. Caress Of Steel is beautiful (ok, I already knew that), 2112 is sublime across both sides.

Oh and this live album ends the first stage of their career perfectly!

This live album blew me away! And it is also the perfect end to the first stage of my Rush marathon.

Highlights of this live album are:

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Working Man/Finding My Way

In The End

What You're Doing

Today was a good day!

• Like 1

What have I learned today?

That the first stage of Rush's career is astoundingly great. The debut is killer. Caress Of Steel is beautiful (ok, I already knew that), 2112 is sublime across both sides.

Oh and this live album ends the first stage of their career perfectly!

This live album blew me away! And it is also the perfect end to the first stage of my Rush marathon.

Highlights of this live album are:

By-Tor And The Snow Dog

Working Man/Finding My Way

In The End

What You're Doing

Today was a good day!

It truly was!

All these threads have been very fun to read. It almost feels like you never listened to Rush before this lol.

Yea loving the enthusiasm.

Me too! I'm glad you're having such an awesome experience!

• Like 1