Do you consider the album 2112 to be a timeless masterpiece?

Texas King

Do you coniser the album 2112 to be a timeless masterpiece?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you coniser the album 2112 to be a timeless masterpiece?

It's an excellent album. I won't argue with anyone who considers it a masterpiece. But, if this it is a masterpiece what are the four or five albums that followed it considered? Super Deluxe Masterpieces?

2112: Masterpiece

AFTK: Sacrosanct Magnum Opus

Hems: Great

PeW: Super Mega Masterpiece

MP: Super Masterpiece

Signals: Masterpiece

;)

I would say Hemispheres - Moving Pictures are true masterpieces. Signals is a great album. AFTK isn't as good as 2112 or the 4 albums that came after it.

Signals is full of songs weaker than anything off AFTK.

Anything? Cygnus X-1 is really so atonal at times. Xanadu is really the only song from that album I LOVE.

It's fine I am just really not into Signals. I've never liked that album. The songs all sound half baked to me. I like bits and pieces of some songs, but only Losing It do I love.

As for AFTK it sounds terrific to my ears.

I think if you're a prog fan in general, AFTK is a great Rush album. I like some prog, but I wouldn't call myself a fan.

For me it's more the metal aspect. AFTK sounds to me like a classic seventies metal album (I actually think prog can be incredibly boring but I like metal tinged prog).

I'd agree that it's more Rainbow or Deep Purple than Yes or ELP.

• Like 1

It's an excellent album. I won't argue with anyone who considers it a masterpiece. But, if this it is a masterpiece what are the four or five albums that followed it considered? Super Deluxe Masterpieces?

2112: Masterpiece

AFTK: Sacrosanct Magnum Opus

Hems: Great

PeW: Super Mega Masterpiece

MP: Super Masterpiece

Signals: Masterpiece

;)

I would say Hemispheres - Moving Pictures are true masterpieces. Signals is a great album. AFTK isn't as good as 2112 or the 4 albums that came after it.

Signals is full of songs weaker than anything off AFTK.

Anything? Cygnus X-1 is really so atonal at times. Xanadu is really the only song from that album I LOVE.

It's fine I am just really not into Signals. I've never liked that album. The songs all sound half baked to me. I like bits and pieces of some songs, but only Losing It do I love.

As for AFTK it sounds terrific to my ears.

I think if you're a prog fan in general, AFTK is a great Rush album. I like some prog, but I wouldn't call myself a fan.

For me it's more the metal aspect. AFTK sounds to me like a classic seventies metal album (I actually think prog can be incredibly boring but I like metal tinged prog).

I'd agree that it's more Rainbow or Deep Purple than Yes or ELP.

Gotta say I never quite got the prog label Rush got.

I mean...yes long songs but they were never very proggy. Just lots of little songs meshed together in a nice way

It was an essential part of my yout! THEN, I had to grow up.

Funny how Rand and Rush bent my mind at that time ... too much to digest, yet good food for thought, especially after APTB.

I got nothin, really

... still wouldn't change a thing

Was playing the acoustic on the porch tonight and Discovery was on the menu fwiw.

There are the songs, and then there is what went into those songs and making that album

It's not only a masterpiece musically, it is a landmark, and a defining moment in Rush's career in which they flipped the middle finger to not just the record execs who wanted something more sellable, but also to the peace and love commune mentality of music scene and pushed for being yourself, the individual, and rejecting the mass mentality ..

I certainly hope that aspect will remain timeless

Tears, Bangkok, Something For Nothing all could slip into my Rush Top10 on any given day ... 2112 will always be there .. Lessons and Twilight Zone aren't far behind

There aren't too many albums that have this kind of history and impact in my book

And love her or hate her, Ayn Rand was introduced to an entirely new generation and audience ..

This.

2112 is a masterpiece not just for the stellar music, but also what it represented at the time...it truly was Rush's defining achievement, their "lightning in a bottle" moment.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 4