What is the biggest (most popular) guitar based band whose first album was released in 2000 or later?

LedRush

If you're looking for a GnR or anything of the sort though, you ain't gonna find it, sorry.

I, humbly, disagree...

...Izzy Stradlin is a fine guitar player.

Izzy Stradlin isn't very popular outside of GnR, also he has a solo career? That started post 2000?

What I meant was there are no more hard rock bands of that caliber and that level of mass popularity in the 21st century.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a GnR or anything of the sort though, you ain't gonna find it, sorry.

I, humbly, disagree...

Izzy Stradlin isn't very popular outside of GnR, also he has a solo career? That started post 2000?

What I meant was there are no more hard rock bands of that caliber and that level of mass popularity in the 21st century.

my bad...I misunderstood your post, got it a bit mixed up with your rhythm guitars thread. :)

So, I'll go with Velvet Revolver with the monster combo of Slash & Dave Kushner.

• Like 3

I think the OP meant bands formed in the new millennium, or released their debut from 2000 onwards...

In that case:

Alter Bridge

Mastodon

Trivium

Mastodon have a claim for being the biggest metal band of the new millennium, that's for sure.

For sure. It's not like metal bands such as Slipknot, System Of A Down and Disturbed haven't sold millions of records and filled arenas at all.

hm...

technically speaking, I'd argue Coldplay. Most of their songs have a prominent guitar of some kind.

But you mean some real, heavy kind of guitar. And those are pretty hard to come by these days. Perhaps The Black Keys would fit the bill, or My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy. The Strokes were a pretty big deal once upon a time as well.

Also, let's talk acoustics. Mumford And Sons, Of Monsters And Men, The Lumineers...even Ed Sheeran. They could all count feasibly.

Yeah, Coldplay and Fall Out Boy were two of the thoughts I had. I had also thought of Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, at which time I decided to look for bands, not solo artists.

Jack White and his various bands might have counted, but the White Stripes missed the cut-off by 7 months.

I, humbly, disagree...

Stradlin had a great solo career. His first 2 albums are particularly awesome. Of course, they both came out in the 90s and garnered virtually no popularity.

• Like 1

hm...

technically speaking, I'd argue Coldplay. Most of their songs have a prominent guitar of some kind.

But you mean some real, heavy kind of guitar. And those are pretty hard to come by these days. Perhaps The Black Keys would fit the bill, or My Chemical Romance or Fall Out Boy. The Strokes were a pretty big deal once upon a time as well.

Also, let's talk acoustics. Mumford And Sons, Of Monsters And Men, The Lumineers...even Ed Sheeran. They could all count feasibly.

Yeah, Coldplay and Fall Out Boy were two of the thoughts I had. I had also thought of Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift, at which time I decided to look for bands, not solo artists.

Jack White and his various bands might have counted, but the White Stripes missed the cut-off by 7 months.

Fall Out Boy is a good one. That's my daughter's favorite band and all her friends love them too.

• Like 2

hm...

Fall Out Boy is a good one. That's my daughter's favorite band and all her friends love them too.

I like them. Does she enjoy Jimmy Eat World? Early FOB were very influenced by them.

• Like 1

hm...

I like them. Does she enjoy Jimmy Eat World? Early FOB were very influenced by them.

She'll probably act like she doesn't like them just because I have a few of their albums. :LOL: I've tried recommending stuff I know she'd enjoy like AFI and Paramore, but she kinda hits me with the "get outta here, lameo Dad" vibe when I do that. She did take her mom's old Misfits hoodie though. I suspect because MCR made them cool to her.

FOB, MCR, Twenty One Pilots, and Panic! at the Disco...that's what she's playing constantly. I'm not much of a fan but I'm just thankful she's not in to trap mumble rap shit.

• Like 1

hm...

She'll probably act like she doesn't like them just because I have a few of their albums. :LOL: I've tried recommending stuff I know she'd enjoy like AFI and Paramore, but she kinda hits me with the "get outta here, lameo Dad" vibe when I do that. She did take her mom's old Misfits hoodie though. I suspect because MCR made them cool to her.

FOB, MCR, Twenty One Pilots, and Panic! at the Disco...that's what she's playing constantly. I'm not much of a fan but I'm just thankful she's not in to trap mumble rap shit.

Lol, those are literally the bands I've been getting into more than ever over the last few weeks. Might just be my youth, but their melodies and lyrics are just kind of emotionally undeniable.

• Like 1

hm...

AFI AND JIMMY ARE MY LIFE!

Sadly what counts as bands is “play no instrument on albums but have your bands perform live” wuss “rock” do unfortunately it’s Maroon 5, One Republic And Imagine Dragons.

The idea that they don't play instruments on their albums is mislead. In fact, having seen Imagine Dragons in concert and listened to their three records somewhat extensively, I can assure you their live sound gets pretty dang close to the sound of their records, with maybe a bit more oomph and slightly more noticeable guitar lines. Yes they use lots of synthesized sounds live and on record, and these bands often program the sounds to play automatically or have a non-member touring musician handling keys and extra guitars. This is more pop and less rock and roll in attitude, assuredly, but it doesn't make the music necessarily worse, nor the concert experience less exhilarating, nor the album experience less fulfilling. The focus for a lot of the popular "alternative" bands is on songwriting and radio-playability more than rocking out, which isn't a bad thing in itself. The bad thing is that these are our most popular rock oriented bands because society has lost interest in true-blue rock and roll music for the most part, or there aren't any good new bands with potential for mass popularity.

I, humbly, disagree...

my bad...I misunderstood your post, got it a bit mixed up with your rhythm guitars thread. :)

So, I'll go with Velvet Revolver with the monster combo of Slash & Dave Kushner.

They're in the discussion.

Now it's /thread. :)

• Like 1

Simple!

COHEED AND CAMBRIA!

THEY ARE SO GOOOOOOOOD!!!!

Massively burned out on them from years back but I will always fight their corner!

GREAT CHOICE!