Happy 10th anniversary Snakes & Arrows! :D

Entre_Perpetuo

Happy!  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Happy!

Sound-wise it was much better than Vapor Trails.

But lyrically it just was more of Pearts jaded "the world sucks and religion is scary" lyrical territory that he already covered in VT. Add that to bland midtempo paced music and Lee's "singing in search of a melody" vocals and voila....why do I want to listen to this?

• Like 1

I played it yesterday. and i'm still of the opinion it is one of the most overlooked Rush Albums. i love it.

Mick

I think it's better than its reputation. A really great sounding album, and Alex kills it.
  • Like 4

Very underrated album. A bit mellower especially after the balls-to-the-wall rock in Vapor Trails, but I think the songs are all very enjoyable. Standouts for me are Far Cry, Workin' Them Angels, TMMB, and Spindrift

My favorite memory of this time is seeing my first Rush show with my dad that year at the Hollywood Bowl :)

Edited by Analog_Bro

After the loud mess that was Vapor Trails this album really restored my faith in RUSH and made me like them all over again. It is a Top 5 RUSH album in my book and by far the best thing the group released in this millennium (only Geddy's solo album being better). Snakes and Arrows, also has THE BEST Neil Peart lyrics ever committed to record. Articulately calling for Social Justice and and standing up for Atheism with a good amount of angst; this is Neil at his uncompromising best. I relate to the lyrics on this album better than any other RUSH album by far. Nothing about this album disappoints. It should be hailed as an all time classic and the last RUSH album that was exceptional from start to end. LOVE IT!
  • Like 2

After the loud mess that was Vapor Trails this album really restored my faith in RUSH and made me like them all over again. It is a Top 5 RUSH album in my book and by far the best thing the group released in this millennium (only Geddy's solo album being better). Snakes and Arrows, also has THE BEST Neil Peart lyrics ever committed to record. Articulately calling for Social Justice and and standing up for Atheism with a good amount of angst; this is Neil at his uncompromising best. I relate to the lyrics on this album better than any other RUSH album by far. Nothing about this album disappoints. It should be hailed as an all time classic and the last RUSH album that was exceptional from start to end. LOVE IT!

Come on man, how does Faithless even come close to I Think I'm Going Bald lyrically? :P ;)

But lyrically it just was more of Pearts jaded "the world sucks and religion is scary" lyrical territory that he already covered in VT. Add that to bland midtempo paced music and Lee's "singing in search of a melody" vocals and voila....why do I want to listen to this?

I come away more with "religion sucks and the world is scary". :D

• Like 1

Me too :yes:

Me too :yes:

Which is true. :)

• Like 1

I snicker at how, no matter your opinion of this album, 99.9% of TRF all seem to despise Spindrift :D It's just one of those songs that rubbed everyone the wrong way. I think it starts off OK but not-so-quickly goes nowhere. The main guitar riff is good though. Too bad it wasn't used on a better song. Edited by jnoble
  • Like 1

I snicker at how, no matter your opinion of this album, 99.9% of TRF all seem to despise Spindrift :D It's just one of those songs that rubbed everyone the wrong way. I think it starts off OK but not-so-quickly goes nowhere. The main guitar riff is good though. Too bad it wasn't used on a better song.

I guess I along with catherine are part of the 0.01%, then! Actually, I think your math is faulty. Spindrift isn't anywhere near my favourite on Snakes and Arrows, but I still consider it a good song that would be in the top 5 had it been on either Vapor Trails or Clockwork Angels. I agree that it should not have been released as a single though. There are much better candidates for singles and I think everyone realized that almost immediately and is part of the reason The Larger Bowl was released so quickly.

Edited by diatribein

I snicker at how, no matter your opinion of this album, 99.9% of TRF all seem to despise Spindrift :D It's just one of those songs that rubbed everyone the wrong way.

Not back in 2007 at least. TRF kissed its feet then.

I've always disliked it though.

This is one of Rush best album! And it is MUCH better then Clockwork Angels. Its a masterpiece album, and those who say its a bad album, have no idea what they talking about and they are not true Rush fans!

This was the first Rush album that I started listening to after I came home from my first Rush concert in 2011, and for months this was the only Rush album I was listening to. I loved it, and I still do! Great album!

• Like 1

This is one of Rush best album! And it is MUCH better then Clockwork Angels. Its a masterpiece album, and those who say its a bad album, have no idea what they talking about and they are not true Rush fans!

:LOL:

Give me a break. I've been a fan since I was 9. That was 35 years ago! I saw them in concert when I was 10, my first gig.

I flew across the planet (around 20 hours) to see them FOR a couple of SNAKES & ARROWS Toronto gigs.

I climbed Tai Shan...and I don't even like that song all that much.

I sacrifice live chickens on a daily basis on a Rush altar constructed of shards of Snakes & Arrows LPs. :blaze:

Obviously, we're ALL Rush fans here fool ! :hail:

I snicker at how, no matter your opinion of this album, 99.9% of TRF all seem to despise Spindrift :D It's just one of those songs that rubbed everyone the wrong way. I think it starts off OK but not-so-quickly goes nowhere. The main guitar riff is good though. Too bad it wasn't used on a better song.

I love Spindrift. It's one of my favourites from the album.

Okay, that makes it THREE that do NOT hate Spindrift. I count 27 unique posters on this thread, so we can safely say that 3/27 TRFs do NOT hate Spindrift. That means that the math says that 11% of TRF members posting on this thread do NOT hate Spindrift. Obviously we cannot extrapolate further since most TRF members did not comment on this post or give us their opinion. Either way, it is unlikely that the rate of dislike for Spindrift would run at 185 (hate) to 1 (like) among the remaining members. Factoring in the 3/27, this is the rate of dislike that would be needed to achieve a 99.9% hate rate. Clearly the song is not a favourite among TRF members, but it is also not as hated as you postulated. It has an 11% approval rate, not a 0.1% approval rate. Science surely serves us well, as long as we use it with a state of integrity!

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

Okay, that makes it THREE that do NOT hate Spindrift. I count 27 unique posters on this thread, so we can safely say that 3/27 TRFs do NOT hate Spindrift. That means that the math says that 11% of TRF members posting on this thread do NOT hate Spindrift. Obviously we cannot extrapolate further since most TRF members did not comment on this post or give us their opinion. Either way, it is unlikely that the rate of dislike for Spindrift would run at 185 (hate) to 1 (like) among the remaining members. Factoring in the 3/27, this is the rate of dislike that would be needed to achieve a 99.9% hate rate. Clearly the song is not a favourite among TRF members, but it is also not as hated as you postulated. It has an 11% approval rate, not a 0.1% approval rate. Science surely serves us well, as long as we use it with a state of integrity!

Put me in the "do not like" catagory for Spindrift.

You were already counted as one of the 24 (dislikes) as you had posted on this thread on page one. There was no need to reiterate. Everyone who did not say they liked Spindrift was counted as a dislike, even if they didn't say anything about the song. 11% approval rate remains correct.

• Like 1

You were already counted as one of the 24 (dislikes) as you had posted on this thread on page one. There was no need to reiterate. Everyone who did not say they liked Spindrift was counted as a dislike, even if they didn't say anything about the song. 11% approval rate remains correct.

I think someone here needs to get laid

• Like 1

I think I can further sum up my distaste for most of Snakes. It's just no fun to listen to. Except for 2 songs, it's a chore. I shouldnt have to feel like I'm working when I'm *supposed* to be relaxing enjoying listening to my music :D

Why don't you just make a Spindrift poll? It'll take you about 15 seconds.

A fabulous album. A few of the tracks take getting used to at first, but as with much great music and great Rush music, it has to be absorbed and grows on you. Then you greatly enjoy it! However, most of the music of Rush, we love immediately! :-)
  • Like 2