I am sick and tired of people hating on James LaBrie's voice.

fraroc

The ironic thing about this thread is I wouldn't have posted my opinion on him if he hadn't made the thread. I'm surprised to see how much love he's getting actually. I find him terrible and I actually like venom.

hey, I'm wearing my venom shirt. cronos should replace labrie.

Just replace DT with Venom. At least they don't sound clinical.

So what is it with you?

You like DT on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and hate them the others? XD

It's been more than a year since I raved about this band.

Try again.

James LeBrie? Is that the whiny screechy guy from Dream Theater?

Yup

• Like 1

I love James' voice but live it isn't good half of the time.

Luckily when I saw them for The Astonishing tour he sounded REALLY great.

In the studio he's always great.

That being said his live voice even when off is still light years ahead of poor Geddy (but in 10 more years, who knows?)

--

It wouldn't be DT without James though. I don't want another singer for this band.

I said the same thing when they fired Charlie. :LOL: :codger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzMxYCxk5r4

John Petrucci supporting our Ass In Chief is more of a reason to dislike Dream Theater than James's voice lol

He supports you?

Glad someone does.

Petrucci supporting fraroc is more than enough reason for me to rescind any liking towards DT. ;)

Human broken record is human broken record.

If that's really what you think, then fine. I'm done trying to please everybody.

I'm going to stand up for what I believe in and I don't care if I stand alone.

Work on that sense of humor...or lack thereof. You seem to get triggered and physically/personally threatened by opposing views very easily. Edited by PolarizeMe

I thought part of the appeal of being a fan of a band like Dream Theater is that a lot of people don't like them for whatever reason.

John Petrucci supporting our Ass In Chief is more of a reason to dislike Dream Theater than James's voice lol

He supports you?

Glad someone does.

Petrucci supporting fraroc is more than enough reason for me to rescind any liking towards DT. ;)

Human broken record is human broken record.

If that's really what you think, then fine. I'm done trying to please everybody.

I'm going to stand up for what I believe in and I don't care if I stand alone.

Save it for a gay parade or whatever you want to scream over next.

Anyway I wonder what Bruce Jenner is doing right now?

It wouldn't be DT without James though. I don't want another singer for this band.

I said the same thing when they fired Charlie.

I love When Dream and Day Unite, I consider it extraordinarily underrated.

That having been said, James is an upgrade from Charlie.

• Like 1

The ironic thing about this thread is I wouldn't have posted my opinion on him if he hadn't made the thread. I'm surprised to see how much love he's getting actually. I find him terrible and I actually like venom.

So what is it with you?

Fortnight on, fortnight off.

So what is it with you?

Wax on, wax off

But seriously I made it clear a year ago I had lost interest in this band. What I also made clear is they renewed my interest in this style, and I've since found comparable bands I love.

But whatever. I have many a time changed my views on music as that is because I always try new things or revisit other things I don't always like.

I don't think Dream Theater write music that matched their abilities. I think they overplay. I don't like Labries voice. The songs I do like are short and sweet or just so cheesy they pass the time in a fun way.

But the last time I tried listening to Dream Theater I found it a hollow and emotionless experience and I chose instead to try Pain Of Salvation, who are so much better it's unbelieveable.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

So what is it with you?

Wax on, wax off

But seriously I made it clear a year ago I had lost interest in this band. What I also made clear is they renewed my interest in this style, and I've since found comparable bands I love.

But whatever. I have many a time changed my views on music as that is because I always try new things or revisit other things I don't always like.

I don't think Dream Theater write music that matched their abilities. I think they overplay. I don't like Labries voice. The songs I do like are short and sweet or just so cheesy they pass the time in a fun way.

But the last time I tried listening to Dream Theater I found it a hollow and emotionless experience and I chose instead to try Pain Of Salvation, who are so much better it's unbelieveable.

I used to really like Dream theatre, having When dream and day' Images, awake, falling. There is something sterile there, for me now, songwriting seems empty.

I still say the best track they wrote was space dye vest, and the keyboard player wrote that. Just can' get into them.

• Like 1

So what is it with you?

Wax on, wax off

I used to really like Dream theatre, having When dream and day' Images, awake, falling. There is something sterile there, for me now, songwriting seems empty.

I still say the best track they wrote was space dye vest, and the keyboard player wrote that. Just can' get into them.

I can't say I hate Dream Theater. Some albums in the right mood are really enjoyable, but I have to be really into that style of metal in general.

I love music that has soul, a heart (Mastodon, Paradise Lost, Iron Maiden, The Beatles, Nightwish). Or I love music that's fun and silly and aware of it (Bin Jovi, [insert random AOR artist here]).

But Dream Theater really try to convince they sell authenticity and originality and they take their music so seriously they forget that spontaneity and a little swagger go a long way.

There is nothing about Dream Theater that to me sounds like Dream Theater and no one else. When I discovered them it was fun and I liked that almost karaoke aspect of "today we are...", but over time, once the initial thrill of it all was over, I just heard replicas of other bands and I just fell out of love with them.

I do understand why they are beloved by many, like I said i enjoyed them and can still enjoy them. But they are for me a style over substance affair.

ReRushed and I have discussed many a time about music he finds lacks authenticity, for example: Bon Jovi. For me I understand that if I draw to mind Dream Theater.

Metallica

Iron Maiden

Paradise Lost

Mastodon

Styx

Pain Of Salvation

Nightwish

Sonata Arctica

These are all bands I would choose over DT and they are all bands who have aspects of their sound I can compare to DT.

Geddy has always gotten crap in the media about his voice. James LaBrie is just a drop in the bucket compared to him. That being said, I think the biggest criticism is that James singing really doesn't fit the band. Not that he's a bad singer, because he's not.

Holy shit you're on a role today.

+1

• Like 1

It wouldn't be a big deal if the only people giving James shit weren't Dream Theater fans.

It's the fact that I've come across so many people who DO like Dream Theater, yet always said that they wished that they'd fire James and get a new singer.

And yes, I've seen people say that.

It wouldn't be a big deal if the only people giving James shit weren't Dream Theater fans.

It's the fact that I've come across so many people who DO like Dream Theater, yet always said that they wished that they'd fire James and get a new singer.

So? Are you trying to convert people?

You are basically a one man equivalent if the entire Westboro Baptist Church, only you stand alone whining the big kids don't want to play your games by your rules and no one even stops to scorn they care so little.

• Like 2

But manufactured outrage threads are fun! :LOL:

I'm sick and tired of people saying broccoli is a terrible vegetable!!! It pisses me off!!!!

How can they not see how fantastic it is?!!

I'm done trying to please everyone!!!

If I have to stand alone for what I believe in, then I will!!!

BROCCOLI IS DELICIOUS!!!!

• Like 2

His onstage banter is still THE WORST

I'll never forget "thank you for making this evening especially special"...

He's improved since he's just tried to be himself instead of "metal guy" Used to be a lot worse.

I'm sick and tired of people saying broccoli is a terrible vegetable!!! It pisses me off!!!!

It's fine raw. Cooked it's awful. And it smells atrocious.

• Like 2

It's fine raw. Cooked it's awful. And it smells atrocious.

http://images.vice.com/vice/images/articles/meta/2012/12/15/cry-baby-of-the-year-1413326671482.jpeg?crop=1xw:0.75xh;center,center&resize=1050:*

• Like 1

You are basically a one man equivalent if the entire Westboro Baptist Church, only you stand alone whining the big kids don't want to play your games by your rules and no one even stops to scorn they care so little.

Forgive me if I get a little sick and tired of the whole mentality of "Well, I didn't see it, so therefore it didn't happen."

Forgive me if I get a little sick and tired of the whole mentality of "Well, I didn't see it, so therefore it didn't happen."

That's funny, you sure don't seem to have seen the compliments LaBrie's gotten in this thread.

• Like 1