Poster from 1979

Crockettsonny84

I was searching around for P/W tour photos when I came across this:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/Crockettsonny84/Rush1979.png

Apparently, Alex has been using even more odd guitars. From what I understand, he borrowed one of Kim Mitchell's strats. This one in purple

QUOTE (Crockettsonny84 @ Feb 9 2010, 06:09 PM)
I was searching around for P/W tour photos when I came across this:

Apparently, Alex has been using even more odd guitars. From what I understand, he borrowed one of Kim Mitchell's strats. This one in purple

Cool, are you sure it's not the lights?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 10 2010, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (Crockettsonny84 @ Feb 10 2010, 10:21 AM)
I thought the same thing, but purple?

Look at the top of the drum riser. Purple lights.

Seeing he is wearing a white shirt the only question I have is if it were the lights why no bleed over on the white shirt? Unless he was wearing a purple shirt then it would look white? I think he was playing a purple guitar.....

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Feb 11 2010, 11:51 AM)

Seeing he is wearing a white shirt the only question I have is if it were the lights why no bleed over on the white shirt? Unless he was wearing a purple shirt then it would look white? I think he was playing a purple guitar.....

It's not like the whole stage was flooded with purple light -- there's all kinds of colors besides purple shining down there. There's a ton of yellow hitting him from the right side, for instance. I think it has something to do with the way the guitar is angled, like it's catching one of the purple lights just the right way in relation to the camera (eye). Also, what are the chances that he found a pickguard that was the exact same purple as the body?

I seriously doubt Alex ever had a purple Strat. That guitar is all black.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 11 2010, 09:29 AM)

It's not like the whole stage was flooded with purple light -- there's all kinds of colors besides purple shining down there. There's a ton of yellow hitting him from the right side, for instance. I think it has something to do with the way the guitar is angled, like it's catching one of the purple lights just the right way in relation to the camera (eye). Also, what are the chances that he found a pickguard that was the exact same purple as the body?

Great observation!

slightly better pick maybe....?

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7746/zrushpurple.jpg

yeah, the fact that it is so consistently purple (pickguard, knobs, etc) looks a bit fishy like it's probably the lights...good find though...

Definitely pre-toggle switch, maple neck, and that kinda looks like a cream single coil or mini HB in there??...hmmm.

2.gif

Edited by jdouglas

HAHA.... I had that poster too...as a matter of fact the poster you are all looking was mine...I sold a couple of months ago on ebay, and that picture is the one I used in my listing....never thought I'd see it again. laugh.gif

I was always under the impression it was ablack strat with purple lights reflecting off of it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 13 2010, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 13 2010, 09:21 AM)
White light shining off a shiny polymeric surface/coating on a black guitar (or anything) will photograph like that.

That's another good possibility.

What I think its is is the reflected light from the laquer finish, which is light that is not only reflected from the very surface, but goes in, hits the black surface, and cmes back out with some dispersion, and lightened black photographs as purple...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 13 2010, 08:00 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 13 2010, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 13 2010, 09:21 AM)
White light shining off a shiny polymeric surface/coating on a black guitar (or anything) will photograph like that.

That's another good possibility.

What I think its is is the reflected light from the laquer finish, which is light that is not only reflected from the very surface, but goes in, hits the black surface, and cmes back out with some dispersion, and lightened black photographs as purple...

Or...it's a bleedin' purple light. biggrin.gif

Hey, I have that poster too. Still hanging in my old room!

That's the black Strat. The Strat that started it all for Alex. This looks pre-modded, as others have noted. There is a different bridge pickup, but not the Bill Lawrence L-500 that he would soon adopt. The bridge looks like a standard Fender bridge. Soon this guitar would get modded into the Super Strat format that Lifeson, along with Eddie VH, would popularize. Those mods include a Floyd Rose Bridge/Vibrato, the aforementioned humbucking pickup in the bridge, and Alex was fond of a 3-way switch in the lower bout of the cutaway. Of these guitars, the red one is my favorite, with the mirror pickguard.

edited for nupage goodness atickhum.gif

Edited by fenderjazz

Cool, I had seen this picture many years ago and was hoping it'd surface again. Yes indeed, that's the black Strat that he really started using regularly on the PeW tour. It was still with the maple neck on PeW, and I think he changed the neck to mahogny by MP/Signals.

Oh, and based on the mini Moog onstage, that appears to be the AFTK Tour, maybe early 78? The posted could certainly have a 79 copyright or whatever, but I'd date the photo in 78.

Edited by spitball

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 11 2010, 11:29 AM)

that poster hung on my wall for many a year. 1022.gif