Why does everyone hate Phil Collins so much?

fraroc

Here is another question..what's worse.. Solo Phil.. Or.. Those Genesis albums where they abandoned all of their 70s stylings?

Oh boy... loaded question. I'd rather have contributions from all three of the guys, to be honest... That said, there's much to like on Phil's first 4 albums.

I still like most of Invisible Touch and about half of WCD.

There's some great stuff on Still. Really enjoy the first Mechanics album. With a better vocalist Acting Very Strange is a hit record.

• Like 1

Here is another question..what's worse.. Solo Phil.. Or.. Those Genesis albums where they abandoned all of their 70s stylings?

Oh boy... loaded question. I'd rather have contributions from all three of the guys, to be honest... That said, there's much to like on Phil's first 4 albums.

You mean 3. ;)

you mean 2.

lol ;) :P

Mick

Take back what you just said or I will recant my earlier comment.

• Like 1

You mean 3. ;)

:D Welll..... I do like a few cuts on the 4th one....

• Like 1

You mean 3. ;)

you mean 2.

Mick

is it good enough if i say i do like I don't Wanna Know from that album?

great tune.

Mick

• Like 1

You mean 3. ;)

you mean 2.

Mick

is it good enough if i say i do like I don't Wanna Know from that album?

great tune.

Mick

nah. you are dead to me. Dead.

you know I keed. ;)

Edited by Digital Dad
  • Like 2

Well I think we know by now that Fraroc has a way of staying things that often don't appear to translate well to others...

...but come on guys, he's been a part of this forum for so long now, surely we can just let it slide and cut him some slack?!

Sheesh...

• Like 1

Well I think we know by now that Fraroc has a way of staying things that often don't appear to translate well to others...

...but come on guys, he's been a part of this forum for so long now, surely we can just let it slide and cut him some slack?!

Sheesh...

Hmmm i don't know.

he sets himself up.

easily.

you'd think he'd learn.

Mick

• Like 1

Funny story.....i was once playing Foxtrot. this was about 95.

a friend walked in.....he was big into music at a young age like me.

he asked me who it was.....i said Genesis with Peter Gabriel

he must have thought it was a new album cause he said..........PHIL LEFT?????

idiot.

lol.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 5

On the subject I enjoy Invisible Touch if i'm in the mood. Domino is Amazing.

And there's a good album somewhere in WCD. it's WAY to long though.

Mick

Domino was always amazing live too.

Regarding WCD - I like the production better than the album itself. Some good-to-great songs there, but yeah. it's SO long.

as far as 70s genesis, sounds like long beatles songs to me. never understood the "pretentious" label

Thank you. Never thought of the Beatles connection with the 70s stuff until now, but it does make sense... It's kinda like late-period Beatles mixed in with some Procol Harum. And I've never thought any of the 70s Genesis stuff was pretentious.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 1

I love Phil. Yes, his ballads suck stinky balls. BUT, Genesis , Brand X, stuff with John Martyn, Eno, Robert Plant is a a magnificent body of work.

Some solo Phil is top too. Easy Lover? CHOON! Sussudio? CHOOOON! Goin' Back, his soul covers album is a real treat. His voice & the Funk Brothers playing, a match made in heaven.

His ubiquity in the 80's was his real downfall. HE WAS EVERYWHERE.

• Like 1

I really am indifferent to all phil Solo after Hello I Must be Going.

Just mostly middle of the road blah-ness.

his first 2 are brilliant though.

Mick

I have to agree here.

"Two Hearts Living in Just One Mind"?? :facepalm: :eyeroll:

• Like 2

(MOD EDIT: YouTube video removed

While any clip from "American Psycho" is awesome, and while Bateman's Phil Collins analysis is fitting for this thread, the rest of the scene with the two girls getting undressed and the other sexual references make that clip inappropriate for this forum...

...which of course you f**king KNOW, Mr. Not. How many years have you been here? Please stop posting content that you know doesn't belong here just to see if you can get away with it.)