Why does everyone hate Phil Collins so much?

fraroc

And besides, you can't tell me that Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel wasn't cheesy 80s at all lol Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Why are you guys insinuating that there is something wrong with 80s pop music to begin with?

It's cliche, and much of it is generic on top of that, however it's not necessarily bad by any stretch of the imagination.

And yet you guys still shit all over it.

What do you mean you guys, I don't have an issue with it.

I was about to say the same. I haven't seen anyone doing that.

I actually find him rather irritating nowadays as a person!

However as a musician and drummer they're isn't many that come close to him!

His first three solo records were good,the rest just pretty average.His Motown record " Going Back" was appalling!

Looking forward to reading his autobiography next month though!

he is pretty cynical nowadays, lol. no thanks to "sell out" meathead butthurt Genesis fans. and poor guy lost the ability to play drums.

Mick

But he's come out of retirement now! :D Now if Gabriel and Hackett could just get back on board for a tour with the originals before anyone...well, you know. Think of it, one set Gabriel material, one set Collins material, maybe stick Carpet Crawlers or I Know What I Like in the middle as duets, and maybe even toss in some of every artists solo material...might be a long stretch for Banks though.

i'd love that.

but Gabriel i feel in no way wants to. he keeps saying never say never but it never happens.

Wish it would the guy is so stagnant. it'll get him off his ass, lol

Mick

I feel it's more likely soon than ever. With all of the passings this year :rose: , Phil coming out of retirement, Hackett having recently done yet another revisiting Genesis bit, and Peter having finally performed a tiny snippet of an old Genesis tune at one of his recent concerts with sting, it seems like the thought might enter their collective minds.

• Like 2

And besides, you can't tell me that Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel wasn't cheesy 80s at all lol

Yes, it is cheesy 80s funk pop, but it's got style and substance and (from what I hear) an incredible video, plus it's catchy as heck and still sounds fresh to me. Pop =/= bad.

His first three solo records were good,the rest just pretty average.His Motown record " Going Back" was appalling!

he is pretty cynical nowadays, lol. no thanks to "sell out" meathead butthurt Genesis fans. and poor guy lost the ability to play drums.

Mick

But he's come out of retirement now! :D Now if Gabriel and Hackett could just get back on board for a tour with the originals before anyone...well, you know. Think of it, one set Gabriel material, one set Collins material, maybe stick Carpet Crawlers or I Know What I Like in the middle as duets, and maybe even toss in some of every artists solo material...might be a long stretch for Banks though.

i'd love that.

but Gabriel i feel in no way wants to. he keeps saying never say never but it never happens.

Mick

I feel it's more likely soon than ever. With all of the passings this year :rose: , Phil coming out of retirement, Hackett having recently done yet another revisiting Genesis bit, and Peter having finally performed a tiny snippet of an old Genesis tune at one of his recent concerts with sting, it seems like the thought might enter their collective minds.

if it happens. it had better be recorded. i NEED that in my DVD collection, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

i'd love that.

Mick

Mick

I doubt their management/label would let them get away with NOT recording it. Too much demand.

• Like 1

Mick

What really annoys me is that whenever he's being interviewed and the guy asks Phil about Genesis and the past (especially the Gabriel years),he very rarely comes across as one who looks back on those albums with any fondness! This is totally the opposite to Steve Hackett who during the last few years has toured with his band playing many classic Genesis tunes to rave reviews! I find it pretty sad actually!

And besides, you can't tell me that Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel wasn't cheesy 80s at all lol

There was nothing cheesey about Sledgehammer back in the day. I lived that era. It was ground shaking on several levels, musically and visually.
  • Like 2

Mick

i'd love that.

Mick

Mick

The five have talked about this for years,and nothing ever comes of it!

When Banks,Collins and Rutherford got back together in 2007,and toured Europe,that would have been the ideal time for Gabriel and

Hackett to join up again with the other three members,but I believe Hackett was really keen but PG less so,and so it never happened!

If its going to happen then it's got to be in the next couple of years,and with Phil's health this seems highly unlikely.If it does happen though I'll be first in line for a ticket!

• Like 2

Why are you guys insinuating that there is something wrong with 80s pop music to begin with?

Not everybody here listens to exclusively prog.

I love 80s pop.

Prefer it to prog. Same as 90s rnb.

• Like 1

Looking past his misogynistic and anti-semitic lyrics, the music is great. I just have to remember to seperate the politics from the music.

Goose, this made me laugh my ass off. Nice.

• Like 1

There was nothing cheesey about Sledgehammer back in the day. I lived that era. It was ground shaking on several levels, musically and visually.

I didn't live in that era, so for all intents and purposes I should be the one to shit all over music like that. But there's nothing wrong with liking a variety of different music.

I like a small amount of pop, a lot of it I do hate. I don't entirely discredit the genre though.

It's really all or nothing with pop songs. If you find the hook to be annoying, you won't like the song. If you do like it, then hey, it might be a timeless favorite of yours.

• Like 1

I love solo Phil Collins so much. These songs are just fantastic:

This performance is essentially a naked performance, warts and all. Still fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OiV_5kEt6A

And finally...I can only think of one song that's more iconic drum wise--Tom Sawyer:

• Like 2

I had a friend in the late 70's who was a huge Genesis fan who always tried to bore me with their albums but i didn't get it.And Then There Were Three came out and i loved it.It was utter crap to him and he disowned the band.Phil Collins has destroyed the band,he'd say.The only thing he liked of Phil's was in the air tonight.And then he went Motown.He even blamed him for blanding out Eric Clapton's career(which he did).The last I ever saw of my friend was when my then girlfriend put on Can't Hurry Love,he stormed out, never to be seen again.I have never seen such hatred for an artist,other than a bloke who took an axe to a turntable with Bat Out of Hell playing.I am now early Genesis convert.I don't hate old Phil,he's an excellent ,unique drummer.But just don't play One More Night,One More Night,One More zzzzzzzzz.

From no pulse......i mean no JACKET required

lol.

Mick

Dude No Jacket is awesome.

• Like 1