Tipping housekeeping in hotels/motels

apetersvt

About a year ago, I read that it has now become customary to leave a tip for housekeeping in hotels. One survey I found said that 50% leave tips and another survey found that 40% leave tips. I wonder when this practice started and what the customary thing to do is in the states and also in other countries.

I haven't been leaving tips and I do travel for work from time to time. If it is the right thing to do, then I will begin.

If I stay more than one night and the service is good I tip. A few bucks a night.

Right. Staying more than one night means they most likely will be cleaning up the bathroom and giving fresh towels and making the bed after the first day. That deserves a tip, IMO. And if you stay one night and leave a mess for them to clean up, I'd leave a tip for that, too. In other words, I pretty much always leave a tip, commensurate with the number of nights stayed.

• Like 1

Agreed. Last time I stayed in a hotel, the housekeeping was immaculate, and it really made me think about that. I did leave a good tip for it.
  • Like 1

We didn't tip at that last inn we stayed at in the mountains. There was a couple above us who sounded like they were killing each other. Security was called twice but the management never got rid of those people. You really do get what you pay for.

I've traveled for business up to 170 nights a year...Uh NO.

Some days I check in at 8pm and out by 5am to catch flight...so NO

Unless I am there for a week or longer...then maybe.

When I use my Marriott free points/ etc on vacation...100 % yes

The Quality Inn, in Sweetwater, Tenn. is one I will remember my whole life....my First wife and I stopped for the first night there on our way to the Underground Sea attraction, and the biscuits and gravy the next morning were EXACTLY like my Mom used to make! I asked the server if they had my Mom in their kitchen making the sausage gravy! Later, we went on to Dalton, Ga and stayed at a local Motel that I hope I never see again. Can't remember the name. It's written down somewhere...

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/Spy%20banana%20007.gif