What's the most money you've paid for a single vinyl record?

x1yyz

Inspired by the Duckman's "What's the most money you've paid for a single CD?" thread, what is the most you have paid for a record? Back in my teens and 20s I collected a bit of stuff. Those were the fun days when you'd browse through rack and racks at the local record shop. Those were also the frustrating pre-Internet days when you'd try to mail order something from a catalog only to find it had been sold before your order had arrived! :rage:

I know there were many times I've spent in the $20-30 range for stuff. It was particularly painful to spend in excess of $20 for the import version of an album to get the extra song or two that wasn't on the $12.99 domestic copy! The most I ever spent was technically on four-7" singles, a rare authorized release called 4 U2 Play which I paid $200 for in the mid-80s. I still have it :)

http://www.recordrunnerusa.com/product_images/i/017/u2_7_paciicol__55477_zoom.jpg

• Like 3

£5.99 from Woolworths in 1979. Everything else I got for £4.99, £5.25 etc. The last vinyl records I bought were in 1992.

The last vinyl I bought was in the mid-90s, and was probably from the $1 used bin.

£5.99 from Woolworths in 1979. Everything else I got for £4.99, £5.25 etc. The last vinyl records I bought were in 1992.

The last vinyl I bought was in the mid-90s, and was probably from the $1 used bin.

When are you going to get back into vinyl??

After the apocalypse when we can no longer play digital media :D

But seriously, although I adore the 12" artwork format and all that comes with it, the inconvenience and delicateness of vinyl was enough to push me to abandon it. With vinyl I couldn't listen to more than 20-25 minutes of music without attending to it, dust/pops/scratches negatively affected the sound quality, and I can't put all or part of my 1500 album library on shuffle in a matter of seconds. After hundreds of concerts and more hundreds of nights spent in clubs I doubt my ears would be able to discern the difference between vinyl and digital recordings anyhow, so I'm pretty much done with records. I do have a box of collectables in the basement I'm keeping, though :)

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 1

After the apocalypse when we can no longer play digital media :D

But seriously, although I adore the 12" artwork format and all that comes with it, the inconvenience and delicateness of vinyl was enough to push me to abandon it. With vinyl I couldn't listen to more than 20-25 minutes of music without attending to it, dust/pops/scratches negatively affected the sound quality, and I can't put all or part of my 1500 album library on shuffle in a matter of seconds. After hundreds of concerts and more hundreds of nights spent in clubs I doubt my ears would be able to discern the difference between vinyl and digital recordings anyhow, so I'm pretty much done with records. I do have a box of collectables in the basement I'm keeping, though :)

I've got a big pile of vinyl!

I can't remember the last vinyl I purchased, but I remember stressing out whether to buy ATWAS back in the 70s. It was probably $12 at the time, which was 2 whole lawn mowing jobs. I never heard Rush before then. Big leap of faith, but the stage set picture on the front finally sold me. I still have all my vinyl despite not touching it in 20+ years.

While I dislike the flatness or the overblown production noise of digital, vinyl was just too damn fussy. I remember buying Aerosmith's Greatest Hits and having a skip at the beginning of Back in the Saddle. I went back to the record store and replaced it 3-4 times and every damn time I got an album with the identical skip. I finally gave up and just lived with it.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

I recently paid a little over $50 for the Noise Records Death Metal split album from 1984 (used price and it's in really good condition) - the uncensored cover, too. :]
  • Like 2

Back in 1982, I bought Quiet Riot II from this creepy guy who ran a head shop . . A friend of mine told me this guy had some rare albums, so I rode my bike there, approached this guy at the counter and asked if he had any Quiet Riot with Randy Rhoads ( this album was like the Loch Ness Monster back then - mythic - esp to a 14 year old )

So the guy leads me into this back room and takes out this album ..

I paid $25 for it, which back then was a LOT

http://www.noremorse.gr/images/790_790QUIETRIOTII.jpg

• Like 5

I can't remember the last vinyl I purchased, but I remember stressing out whether to buy ATWAS back in the 70s. It was probably $12 at the time, which was 2 whole lawn mowing jobs. I never heard Rush before then. Big leap of faith, but the stage set picture on the front finally sold me. I still have all my vinyl despite not touching it in 20+ years.

While I dislike the flatness or the overblown production noise of digital, vinyl was just too damn fussy. I remember buying Aerosmith's Greatest Hits and having a skip at the beginning of Back in the Saddle. I went back to the record store and replaced it 3-4 times and every damn time I got an album with the identical skip. I finally gave up and just lived with it.

That happened to me with a Billy Joel vinyl! I was so pissed! And the same thing! I went back to National Record Mart 3 times and each one had it, it was in the pressing. I finally got them to give me another album I wanted.

I don't think I ever paid more than whatever a standard double album cost; I only babysat for years at $ 1.00 an hour!

For people that had a sizable vinyl collection- remember how heavy it was to move? You had to line up a friend who worked out and didn't mind carrying the crates of albums . . . . we lost ours in 1997ish when we rented a ranch house and the water heater burst and flooded everything. I guess we could have saved just the vinyl but CD's were around by then.

• Like 2

I always managed to find good deals on records. I played the record club game several times...12 for a penny, buy the minimum and quit.
  • Like 1

Back in 1982, I bought Quiet Riot II from this creepy guy who ran a head shop . . A friend of mine told me this guy had some rare albums, so I rode my bike there, approached this guy at the counter and asked if he had any Quiet Riot with Randy Rhoads ( this album was like the Loch Ness Monster back then - mythic - esp to a 14 year old )

So the guy leads me into this back room and takes out this album ..

I paid $25 for it, which back then was a LOT

http://www.noremorse.gr/images/790_790QUIETRIOTII.jpg

You know something I've only just discovered that Rudy Sarzo is Cuban. For the last 35 years I just thought he was an American from Los Angeles. But no he's got the accent and everything. Rudy's a good bass player but not only can he not write songs he can't even write his own basslines!

For a single LP probably around $80 for The Hemispheres Radio Special (Could have been the Grace Under Pressure Radio Special or Neil's last Innerview LP from 1986. Those were all about the same I think.)
  • Like 2