Lerxst vs Camera Man

Wil1972

I was watching the Rio show and mentioned to my wife that during the first set Al apparently had a run-in with one of the cameramen and it really pissed Al off, to the point that Ged and Neil had to confront Al about it during intermission. She asked me what happened, and I had to admit that I really wasn't sure; I remember reading about it ages ago but I have no details. So I was hoping someone here might be able to give some additional info about what precisely happened between Lerxst and the cameraman.
  • Like 1

Here's something I found on Cygnus x1 "Well, Alex was having a problem with a cameraman in the first set and he started freaking out at this cameraman and then he lost some concentration and had a gaffe in one of the songs, during one of the solos. And after the set, we had to kind of cool him off and remind him that you've got to forget about that; you can't let those things bother you during a show that you're filming. Because there's just no sense looking pissed off on tape. And he got the message. But it's very hard. There was so much going against us that day. Given the fact that they arrived late, we didn't have a soundcheck. The camera crew didn't have a camera check. The sound crew didn't have a soundcheck. So when we hit the stage about 10:30, we were going on cold; everyone was going on cold. And to add to the confusion, there were all these extra lights that the camera people had put on stage without discussing with us. So there were these wires running across the front of the stage that were inhibiting our ability to go to the front of the stage and ham it up with the crowd, kind of thing. And that was really disconcerting for me, because I'm used to just roaming around and having some fun. And when I'd venture to the edge the stage, I suddenly had to look at my feet to make sure I didn't trip over these stupid cables. The way you want to record a show should be ideal and the last thing you should be thinking about is all this crap, so this was pretty f***ed-up in terms of our ability to stay calm, cool and collected."-Geddy lee http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/bw&bk-12.2003.php
  • Like 5

Here's something I found on Cygnus x1 "Well, Alex was having a problem with a cameraman in the first set and he started freaking out at this cameraman and then he lost some concentration and had a gaffe in one of the songs, during one of the solos. And after the set, we had to kind of cool him off and remind him that you've got to forget about that; you can't let those things bother you during a show that you're filming. Because there's just no sense looking pissed off on tape. And he got the message. But it's very hard. There was so much going against us that day. Given the fact that they arrived late, we didn't have a soundcheck. The camera crew didn't have a camera check. The sound crew didn't have a soundcheck. So when we hit the stage about 10:30, we were going on cold; everyone was going on cold. And to add to the confusion, there were all these extra lights that the camera people had put on stage without discussing with us. So there were these wires running across the front of the stage that were inhibiting our ability to go to the front of the stage and ham it up with the crowd, kind of thing. And that was really disconcerting for me, because I'm used to just roaming around and having some fun. And when I'd venture to the edge the stage, I suddenly had to look at my feet to make sure I didn't trip over these stupid cables. The way you want to record a show should be ideal and the last thing you should be thinking about is all this crap, so this was pretty f***ed-up in terms of our ability to stay calm, cool and collected."-Geddy lee http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/bw&bk-12.2003.php

Thanks that is what I recall. But it still doesn't explain exactly what the problem was. I'm guessing the cameraman was obstructing the view for those fans in the front? Anyone know where in the show it happened? I have narrowed it down to somewhere after Big Money, cause after that one he seems agitated straight through till intermission. I mean, were all the extra lights and cables inhibiting just Ged or Al too?

Edited by Wil1972

I can't wrap my head around Alex being an asshole. He and Geddy are probably the last two people I'd think of when it comes to that. Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

I can't wrap my head around Alex being an asshole. He and Geddy are probably the last two people I'd think of when it comes to that.

Nah they won't let Neil retire without a fight.

• Like 1

and had a gaffe in one of the songs, during one of the solos.

With all of the useless Rush knowledge myself and hundreds of others on here we should be able to find this, but I am too sleepy

• Like 1

I can't wrap my head around Alex being an asshole. He and Geddy are probably the last two people I'd think of when it comes to that.

Not really an asshole, but he's got a temper, like when he fought that cop in Florida. lol.

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/200401/9.f.jpg

Come on. Everyone loses their cool on occasion. Everyone probably looks like an asshole from time to time. Even nice guys.

Lifeson isn't Mother Theresa.

• Like 3

Not really an asshole, but he's got a temper, like when he fought that cop in Florida. lol.

Yeah!

Yeah!

I still love that picture, I don't know who the guy behind him is. but he's a winner.

• Like 2

Yeah!

I still love that picture, I don't know who the guy behind him is. but he's a winner.

Yeah! It makes him look Bad Ass!

:)

Come on. Everyone loses their cool on occasion. Everyone probably looks like an asshole from time to time. Even nice guys.

Very true, but those two always seemed to go out of their way to remain calm, cool and collected. Especially Geddy.

• Like 2

I saw him showing visible displeasure with his guitar tech at a show in San Antonio. It took him about half the set to shake it off.

I saw him showing visible displeasure with his guitar tech at a show in San Antonio. It took him about half the set to shake it off.

If you're talking about R40, he was Misrable McFrownyFace for half the tour. It wasn't until halfway that he had begun to lighten up and become his old self again.

Edited by fraroc

From R40 Alex probably had unkind words for his guitar tech on this song

• Like 1

If you're talking about R40, he was Misrable McFrownyFace for half the tour. It wasn't until halfway that he had begun to lighten up and become his old self again.

It was the TFE tour, but that pretty much describes how he behaved. He gave his tech many ugly looks.

Didn't Geddy's tech hand him the wrong tuned bass at one show during the R40 tour? I forgot which show it was. Probably was the first night in Toronto. There were a lot of missteps :unsure: that night.

Yeah I think it was the bass he used for Headlong Flight.

• Like 1

And he kicked her ass too!

Didn't Geddy's tech hand him the wrong tuned bass at one show during the R40 tour? I forgot which show it was. Probably was the first night in Toronto. There were a lot of missteps :unsure: that night.

LOL now I'm imagining that intro riff, just slightly out of tune, lmao

It was more than slightly. It was tuned an entire key down.

It was more than slightly. It was tuned an entire key down.

Now I went to watch the R40 tour and I'm depressed, I want to see Rush again, really bad ;'(

• Like 1