What's the weather like right now?

jamie

On 12/21/2023 at 9:34 PM, blackhawkrush said:

We'll have 54 on Christmas in Chicago. Way to go, Al Gore. 

This year's holiday weather sponsored by Gulfstream!

:7up:

• Like 1

Finally, finally, FINALLY we got some snow!  The dry warm weather has been nice, but the mountains needed snow badly.  5" to 6" here in the foothills means twice that up high. Ski areas were desperate.

• Like 1

It’s storming, but I think most of it has passed my part of Central AR. There was some heavier rain with some thunder and lightning not too long ago. 

On 1/7/2024 at 12:14 PM, goose said:

Finally, finally, FINALLY we got some snow!  The dry warm weather has been nice, but the mountains needed snow badly.  5" to 6" here in the foothills means twice that up high. Ski areas were desperate.

Central Arkansas got some snow a few days ago! In my town, it was just a blanket that washed away in the rain afterwards, but as a Californian, it was very fun to play in and watch for a little bit. I took lots of pictures, and i had fun doing so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jamie said:

Central Arkansas got some snow a few days ago! In my town, it was just a blanket that washed away in the rain afterwards, but as a Californian, it was very fun to play in and watch for a little bit. I took lots of pictures, and i had fun doing so. 

Great pics.  What a beautiful area!

• Like 1

Winter is coming.... :ohmy:

After a wonderfully mild November and December, snow is en route.  Forecasts vary from 4 to 10".   

5a426b6b4738cf6ba72434143ee1faa5.jpg

Edited by Principled Man
  • Haha 1

20+ mph winds right now, and we’re expecting to get a winter storm next week with some of the lowest temperatures that Central AR has seen in a very long time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jamie said:

20+ mph winds right now, and we’re expecting to get a winter storm next week with some of the lowest temperatures that Central AR has seen in a very long time.

Sunday we had 60+mph winds and Monday it was 6F for a low.  :ninja:

• Like 1

12" plus of new snow dumped last night.  After 2 hours of shoveling* the wife and I had a great snow shoe hike in the early sun with the dog.  I love a bluebird morning after a big storm!

8" or more coming at me.  High winds, then sub-zero temps!    

How wonderful that my snow blower's pull cord quit on me.  The new one will arrive in 2-3 days.... :angry:

• Like 1

Wife went skiing today and said it was nice till about noon, when the wind picked up.  It's tricky skiing right with 18" of powder on top of a 10" base.  Bring your rock skis if you're going off paste!

One of my students didn't and tore up his brand new skis yesterday. :doh:

Mother says that if I finish shoveling tonight, she may give me an extra bowl of gruel in the morning.... :huh:  :wink:

k4PDfNO.jpg

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Mother says that if I finish shoveling tonight, she may give me an extra bowl of gruel in the morning.... :huh:  :wink:

k4PDfNO.jpg

Lucky!

11 hours ago, goose said:

Wife went skiing today and said it was nice till about noon, when the wind picked up.  It's tricky skiing right with 18" of powder on top of a 10" base.  Bring your rock skis if you're going off paste!

One of my students didn't and tore up his brand new skis yesterday. :doh:

There is so much about skiing I don't know . . .

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chicken hawk said:

Record Breaking High Tides in Maine   14.17 inches in Portland.  Latest Storm.

Historic High Tides photo 1

13.jpg

• Like 1

- 8° right now.  High of 1° today, low of -15° tonight.   

Negative numbers will pass in about 8 days, and we'll be above 32° after that. 

Having late January be in the mid to upper 30's is a good sign that February won't be so bad.  I'm not placing any bets, though....        

• Like 1

Crazy wind storm last night led to downed trees and limbs all around town, including the neighbors behind us.  On neighbor's huge ivy-covered tree split and dropped into another neighbors yard, luckily getting hung up in an overgrown 100yo apple tree.  It fell across power lines,  which then pulled over a power pole at the edge of our driveway.  We were without power for 15 hrs, starting at 1:30 am.  

The upside is that the tree cutters left the wood for me to cut up as firepit fuel

It’s been a beautiful and quiet snowy day here in Central Arkansas. It’s been snowing since around 1pm, 7 hours later and there’s about 3” of snow on the ground. The temperature has been no more than 20° all day. 

1. My dearest walking around the untouched blanket

2. A little while after we paused our movie to play with the snow.

3. An hour of light snowfall.