Here's my TOP 15. My list ended up having all Dio-era songs in the top 10 with the best Bonnet-era songs coming after and Turner after that but that's just a coincidence.

1. Stargazer

2. Gates of Babylon

3. Tarot Woman

4. Sixteenth Century Greensleeves

5. Run With the Wolf

6. Kill the King

7. Starstruck

8. Catch the Rainbow

9. Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

10 Lady of the Lake

11. Eyes of the World

12= Love's No Friend

12= Lost in Hollywood

13. Eyes of Fire

14. Death Alley Driver

15. Spotlight Kid

• Like 2

Now I'll just address one point before it even comes up. There's no Man On a Silver Mountain in my list because I became bored with this song quite a while ago. The riff goes round and round in my head now and sounds like something else altogether and the vocal melody is repetitive. I just don't like it so much anymore, what can I tell you? Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

Has anyone else met Ronnie James Dio in person? I don't like to brag but I'm bragging... ;)

Wow, that is awesome! Do tell!

Well it was May 1986 and me and my mates had traveled across the Pennines to Leeds to see Dio in concert. So we got into town and had a bite to eat, I had my one and only Wimpy burger, and we were literally standing on a corner street just hanging around seeing what we were going to do next and what we would do with the rest of our day before the gig and it happened. It was about midday or maybe 1pm, I forget now but all of a sudden up rolled a coach (bus) and down the steps came the unmistakable figure of RJD! Our jaws dropped and we ran to meet him. We had nothing for him to sign but our tickets so we handed them over, green tickets they were and Ronnie signed them with a gold pen. This was in the days well before the internet of course so setlist info wasn't as easy to obtain, it was either bootlegs, Kerrang or someone you knew who'd seen the band already. So we asked him "hey Ronnie what songs will you be playing tonight?" And he goes: "Ahhh you'll have to wait till tonight then you'll see!" And yes Ronnie James Dio was SMALL! I'm 5'10 and I towered over him even though he was wearing those high Cuban heels. So yeah that was cool because we weren't even trying to meet him, we just didn't even think about it.

It was a good year for meeting rock stars because back in January we met Brian Johnson and Malcolm Young in Manchester in the bar of the Midland Hotel. That was just before the gig there too.

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 2

Has anyone else met Ronnie James Dio in person? I don't like to brag but I'm bragging... ;)

Well it was May 1986 and me and my mates had traveled across the Pennines to Leeds to see Dio in concert. So we got into town and had a bite to eat, I had my one and only Wimpy burger, and we were literally standing on a corner street just hanging around seeing what we were going to do next and what we would do with the rest of our day before the gig and it happened. It was about midday or maybe 1pm, I forget now but all of a sudden up rolled a coach (bus) and down the steps came the unmistakable figure of RJD! Our jaws dropped and we ran to meet him. We had nothing for him to sign but our tickets so we handed them over, green tickets they were and Ronnie signed them with a gold pen. This was in the days well before the internet of course so setlist info wasn't as easy to obtain, it was either bootlegs, Kerrang or someone you knew who'd seen the band already. So we asked him "hey Ronnie what songs will you be playing tonight?" And he goes: "Ahhh you'll have to wait till tonight then you'll see!" And yes Ronnie James Dio was SMALL! I'm 5'10 and I towered over him even though he was wearing those high Cuban heels. So yeah that was cool because we weren't even trying to meet him, we just didn't even think about it.

It was a good year for meeting rock stars because back in January we met Brian Johnson and Malcolm Young in Manchester in the bar of the Midland Hotel. That was just before the gig there too.

That is really cool. He always did look kind of short on TV, I wondered if that was right! Now I know. The only band type person I have met is the comedian George Carlin; and Donny Osmond :o (my best friend liked him and won a contest and I am a good friend :) ) Actually he was a very, very nice guy.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

That is really cool. He always did look kind of short on TV, I wondered if that was right! Now I know. The only band type person I have met is the comedian George Carlin; and Donny Osmond :o (my best friend liked him and won a contest and I am a good friend :) ) Actually he was a very, very nice guy.

What was Donny like? And was Marie there?? :smoke:

• Like 1

Ha ha! Yes, Marie was there actually, and complaining, something about the lighting not being good for her to do her make up. Donny was very nice and wanted to know what were our interests. We got a little bit of a feeling that touring got long sometimes for him.
  • Like 1

Nice story.

Is this the show that you saw?

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dio/1986/queens-hall-leeds-england-5bd3abc8.html

Honestly cannot decide on my top 10 Rainbow Songs. I like their entire catalog from all the singers.

I listen to way more Rainbow than Rush.

• Like 1

Nice story.

Is this the show that you saw?

http://www.setlist.f...d-5bd3abc8.html

Yeah that was it, Goldy had taken over from Campbell by then. That venue is a weird one, you walk in and instead of the stage being straight ahead of you it's over on the far right at 90 degrees. Still it was a good gig. Keel were the support band.

Ha ha! Yes, Marie was there actually, and complaining, something about the lighting not being good for her to do her make up. Donny was very nice and wanted to know what were our interests. We got a little bit of a feeling that touring got long sometimes for him.

Nice!

• Like 1

So many great songs. I really like Weis Heim, from final vinyl though. Great vault track.

So many great songs. I really like Weis Heim, from final vinyl though. Great vault track.

I think it was the B side of I surrender wasn't it?

Oh no it was All Night Long and then on the Jealous Lover EP.

I wouldn't mind getting this:

http://absoluteradio.co.uk/_img/pages/11824.1/rainbow-box-set-1060-678.jpg

This is the full tracklist:

CD

Black Sheep of the Family 3:19

Sixteenth Century Greensleeves 3:35

Snake Charmer 4:28

The Temple of the King 4:43

Tarot Woman (Rough Mix) 6:06

Stargazer (Rough Mix) 9:08

Run With the Wolf (Rough Mix) 3:40

Mistreated (Live in Osaka, Japan / 1976) 11:10

Purple Haze / White Christmas / Lazy / Man on the Silver Mountain / Blues / Man on the Silver Mountain (Reprise) (Live in Osaka, Japan / 1976) 16:16

Sensitive to Light (Rough Mix) 3:03

The Shed (Subtle) 4:46

Rainbow Eyes 7:00

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring (Rehearsal, Pirate Sound, LA, August 1977) 1:40

Long Live Rock 'n' Roll (Rehearsal, Pirate Sound, LA, August 1977) 6:56

Do You Close Your Eyes (Rehearsal, Pirate Sound, LA, August 1977) 6:18

Still I'm Sad - With Organ Intro (Rehearsal, Pirate Sound, LA, August 1977) 10:06

Gates of Babylon 6:47

Catch the Rainbow (Live Koseinenkin, Osaka, Japan, 17 January 1978) 22:03

Long Live Rock 'n' Roll (Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, NY, May 1978) 3:32

L.A. Connection (Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, NY, May 1978) 5:13

Eyes of the World (Instrumental Outtake) 6:50

Ain't a Lot of Love in the Heart of Me (Alternative Outtake) 4:58

Lost in Hollywood 4:51

Danger Zone 4:30

Since You Been Gone 3:16

Bad Girl 4:48

Over the Rainbow / Eyes of the World (King Biscuit Flower Hour Radio Broadcast / Live at Calderone, New York / 1979) 9:23

Love's No Friend (King Biscuit Flower Hour Radio Broadcast / Live at Calderone, New York / 1979) 8:11

Ode to Joy (King Biscuit Flower Hour Radio Broadcast / Live at Calderone, New York / 1979) 5:41

All Night Long (Single Remix Version) 3:50

Weiss Heim 5:10

Stargazer (Live at Castle Donnington / 1980) 8:32

Midtown Tunnel Vision 4:31

I Surrender 4:01

Magic 4:05

Vielleicht das nächste Mal 3:20

Jealous Lover 3:09

Spotlight Kid (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London / 1981) 5:07

Rule Britannia / Fire (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London / 1981) 2:49

Death Alley Driver 4:36

Bring on the Night (Dream Chaser) 4:02

Stone Cold 5:17

Power (Live in San Antonio, TX / 1982) 4:38

Miss Mistreated (Live in San Antonio, TX / 1982) 4:25

Tearin' Out My Heart (Live in San Antonio, TX / 1982) 8:20

Can't Let You Go 4:19

Desperate Heart 4:34

Anybody There (Outtake / Polar Mix) 2:51

Drinking With the Devil (Outtake Withe Alternative Guitar Solo) 3:42

Make Your Move 5:24

Snowman 4:30

Street of Dreams 4:24

Stranded (Live at St. David's Hall, Cardiff / 1983) 5:51

Power (Live at St. David's Hall, Cardiff / 1983) 4:29

Fire Dance (Live at St. David's Hall, Cardiff / 1983) 4:26

Fool for the Night (Live at the Tokyo Budokan / 1984) 3:59

Difficult to Cure (Live at the Tokyo Budokan / 1984) 11:13

Smoke on the Water (Live at the Tokyo Budokan / 1984) 4:42

DVD - Live at Monsters of Rock Castle Donington 16 August 1980:

All Night Long 7:56

Catch the Rainbow 5:06

Eyes of the World 1:23

Lost in Hollywood /Guitar Solo 3:32

Will You Love Me Tomorrow? 3:15

Long Live Rock 'n' Roll (Part 1) 2:29

Kill the King 3:29

Long Live Rock 'n' Roll (Part 2) 2:20

• Like 1

Rainbow is/was such a goddamn kick ass band. Freaking love them.

Blackmore in Rainbow was phenomenal :guitar: A true guitar GOD.

• Like 2

1-10:

Gates of Babylon

Stargazer

Kill the King

Catch the Rainbow

16th Century Greensleeves

A Light in the Black

Tarot Woman

Do You Close Your Eyes

LA Connection

Temple of the King