Signals!

Rick N. Backer

Signals is great. It has kind of fallen out of favor for me in recent times but I still enjoy it, just not as much as the 3 albums before it or the 2 albums after.

The Analog Kid and Subdivisions are mainstays whenever I'm playing guitar, and naysayers be damned, Countdown is an awesome song.

1:21:48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX8DUUAQZVc

When I saw this live at the time it was mind blowing and cool. Who knew we'd outlive the Space Shuttle..lol

You saw them during this tour? I'm envious. That was the time to see them.

Indeed it was. The Signals tour show remains my favorite.

That was my first concert ever. I was in 5th grade then and already a huge Rush fan.

I remember my bro cut out the concert review from the local paper the next day. The critic destroyed Rush. She said she didn't understand why the audience was cheering so loudly when the backdrop of the shuttle launch was happening during Countdown. She also said that the ticket cost ($10) would've been better spent playing Pac-Man. I have no idea why I remember the critic's name, Claudia Perry. Foolish mortal.

Great concert. Powerful memory. :blaze:

Its funny you mention that as the crowd was ROARING at this show; and of course this was back in the day when they sold out two shows per major city. Critic was a moron like the rest. And why were the crowd roaring at an exciting part of an exciting song about the engineering marvel of the day? Gee who knows Claudia? Moron.

Claudia probably thought that the "well weathered leather" reference in Red Barchetta was about her complexion and was still pissed about it.

To explain a bit more about why Claudia didn't understand why the audience was cheering...

She thought since it was Florida (gig was in Jacksonville) that people would be used to rocket/shuttles taking off. Yeah, as if leaving Earth in a piece of metal were a small feat and that cheering a liftoff behind your favorite rock band's music would not be enjoyable. Idiot.

Do you have Claudia's address ??

Does she have a mailbox ??

I doubt she's still working at the same newspaper but if so it'd be the Florida Times Union.

I kind of remember her ripping other bands I liked too.

She probably had her mailbox replaced several times throughout the 80s.

It appears that she moved on to the Newark Star Ledger here in NJ ... Maybe the same person ??

I found her email address

I'm going to wrote to her and ask her about it

You should! Quote me! Her article was the first of an onslaught of negative images of music critics I'd have for...essentially my entire life.

• Like 2

Signals is great. It has kind of fallen out of favor for me in recent times but I still enjoy it, just not as much as the 3 albums before it or the 2 albums after.

The Analog Kid and Subdivisions are mainstays whenever I'm playing guitar, and naysayers be damned, Countdown is an awesome song.

When I saw this live at the time it was mind blowing and cool. Who knew we'd outlive the Space Shuttle..lol

That was my first concert ever. I was in 5th grade then and already a huge Rush fan.

I remember my bro cut out the concert review from the local paper the next day. The critic destroyed Rush. She said she didn't understand why the audience was cheering so loudly when the backdrop of the shuttle launch was happening during Countdown. She also said that the ticket cost ($10) would've been better spent playing Pac-Man. I have no idea why I remember the critic's name, Claudia Perry. Foolish mortal.

Its funny you mention that as the crowd was ROARING at this show; and of course this was back in the day when they sold out two shows per major city. Critic was a moron like the rest. And why were the crowd roaring at an exciting part of an exciting song about the engineering marvel of the day? Gee who knows Claudia? Moron.

Claudia probably thought that the "well weathered leather" reference in Red Barchetta was about her complexion and was still pissed about it.

To explain a bit more about why Claudia didn't understand why the audience was cheering...

She thought since it was Florida (gig was in Jacksonville) that people would be used to rocket/shuttles taking off. Yeah, as if leaving Earth in a piece of metal were a small feat and that cheering a liftoff behind your favorite rock band's music would not be enjoyable. Idiot.

I doubt she's still working at the same newspaper but if so it'd be the Florida Times Union.

It appears that she moved on to the Newark Star Ledger here in NJ ... Maybe the same person ??

You should! Quote me! Her article was the first of an onslaught of negative images of music critics I'd have for...essentially my entire life.

I wonder if you could get her to do an exclusive TRF interview and give her opinions of Rush and Signals now with hindsight.

I wonder if you could get her to do an exclusive TRF interview and give her opinions of Rush and Signals now with hindsight.

She probably knew very little of Rush in the first place. In the second place, she likely doesn't remember that particular article. That was '83 after all. Besides, I'd like to continue my lifelong grudge against her. :blaze:

• Like 2

I emailed Claudia at the Newark Star Ledger address ... The email I sent was bounced back as undeliverable ..

I'll try calling the newspaper

Off topic, who is the cute chick floating above the candles in your sig???

• Like 1

As you all know, I'm on the bottom of the Rush fan barrel (John Rogers will verify this fact - just ask him), but if it makes me very sad that the Rush you all knew and loved for decades is probably finished, I can't imagine how many of you must feel. It must rip you apart inside.

I'm at the bottom too. I know (not think) that after Grace Under Pressure, they didn't make a really solid album for more than 20 years.

2012 - 1984 = 28

They released a solid album in 2007.

It was a turd to be sure, but more watery than solid. Though if you want to go for dense and turgid, I wouldn't argue too much.

Although if I had insomnia issues, I'd probably rate it more highly. Neil's travelogues set to music might have been as interesting.

It'd be interesting to see how Neil would fit the phrase "large pendulous scrotum" into a song.

• Like 1

As you all know, I'm on the bottom of the Rush fan barrel (John Rogers will verify this fact - just ask him), but if it makes me very sad that the Rush you all knew and loved for decades is probably finished, I can't imagine how many of you must feel. It must rip you apart inside.

I'm at the bottom too. I know (not think) that after Grace Under Pressure, they didn't make a really solid album for more than 20 years.

2012 - 1984 = 28

It was a turd to be sure, but more watery than solid. Though if you want to go for dense and turgid, I wouldn't argue too much.

Although if I had insomnia issues, I'd probably rate it more highly. Neil's travelogues set to music might have been as interesting.

It'd be interesting to see how Neil would fit the phrase "large pendulous scrotum" into a song.

Isn't that the title track to the follow up to PoW?

It should be.

• Like 1

2012 - 1984 = 28

Isn't that the title track to the follow up to PoW?

It should be.

Power Wieners

I emailed Claudia at the Newark Star Ledger address ... The email I sent was bounced back as undeliverable ..

Off topic, who is the cute chick floating above the candles in your sig???

I wish I knew

As a kid, we always played "light as a feather, stiff as a board" .. I just found the pic and liked it

Good chance she's long retired by now. I vaguely remember her pic next to her articles in the paper back in the early 80s and I don't remember her being all that young even then.

Good chance she's long retired by now. I vaguely remember her pic next to her articles in the paper back in the early 80s and I don't remember her being all that young even then.

I did not have a chance to call today - I'll do that tomorrow ..

But I told my sis about this, and she reminded me that the Newark Star Ledger was bought out a few years ago, and the old addresses might not be working ..

I also checked into the NJ tax records ( lol ) as Claudia mentioned "buying a house" and living in Jersey City in the Jeopardy article ... Her name was not identified with any ownership, but I did find a Claudia Perry in nearby Plainfield who is 72 years old ...

• Like 2

I did not have a chance to call today - I'll do that tomorrow ..

But I told my sis about this, and she reminded me that the Newark Star Ledger was bought out a few years ago, and the old addresses might not be working ..

I also checked into the NJ tax records ( lol ) as Claudia mentioned "buying a house" and living in Jersey City in the Jeopardy article ... Her name was not identified with any ownership, but I did find a Claudia Perry in nearby Plainfield who is 72 years old ...

72 in 2016 = 39 in 1983. It's definitely possible.

You're going through all that just to interrogate her on a bad concert write up she gave Rush on the Signals tour? :LOL:

What if I made up the whole thing?

What if my memory is shot? ;)

You're like an extremely motivated Magnum P.I.

http://images.elephantjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/magnum_pi_tom_selleck.jpg

"So Claudia, I heard you were talking shit about the Rush gig you saw back in '83..."

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3

Objective critics need to get past their own distaste of what is being reviewed, or they have no business being critics. If they are going to accuse a band of not being able to play, they need to be able explain why, by providing examples of simplistic arrangements or sloppy playing. If they're going to be fair, they need to report on how the crowd was reacting and not make the assumption that if the crowd is loving something, they must all be fools. This critic even admits that a "cheap shot" is all that can be taken. This is not a critique, it's just a cruelly-expressed personal opinion that lays judgment not only on the band but on its fans. I don't even bother reading music criticism anymore, because it is pretty much inherently flawed. Like the editor says, "tomorrow you're reviewing the Rush show" and the writer says "but I don't even like Rush!" "Go do it, damn it; it's your job!!'
  • Like 2

My favorite album and I have no problem with the production at all, but I also love a good Oberheim synth.

I think if you put it in context with what was going on musically in 1982, which in my personal opinion was one of the greatest years for rock and pop music, then it fits right in perfectly.

Signals is, I think, the album that most personally resonates with me, lyrically and musically..... Subdivisions is still an emotionally crushing song for me. I was in ninth grade the first time I heard it, and felt like it was basically about me.

• Like 5

lol

I think actually finding her might be a let down ... It's the detective work that's fun

You should find the article that I'm talking about too. Apparently, the gig I'm talking about was March 16, 1983 (Jacksonville, FL). Newspaper: Florida Times Union. I assume her write up was done the next day or soon after.

Footnote: there was a stabbing on the floor (general admission, of course) during Spirit of Radio. Savages. Rush didn't know about it until after the concert.

lol

I think actually finding her might be a let down ... It's the detective work that's fun

You should find the article that I'm talking about too. Apparently, the gig I'm talking about was March 16, 1983 (Jacksonville, FL). Newspaper: Florida Times Union. I assume her write up was done the next day or soon after.

Footnote: there was a stabbing on the floor (general admission, of course) during Spirit of Radio. Savages. Rush didn't know about it until after the concert.

That's terrible about the stabbing - geeesh

Anyways, I called the phone number today, and got a "This number is not in service" message ..

It seems as if Claudia's last article with the Star Ledger was back in Oct 2008 .. Here's a list of her "work" - it's mostly entertainment fluff, and if you told me she was 12 years old I wouldn't bat an eye

http://connect.nj.com/user/caperry/posts.html

Here's her mostly positive review of a Bon Jovi show .. Reading this was like listening to some non-descript kid talk about summer vacation for 15 minutes

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2008/07/bon_jovi_plays_the_great_lawn.html

Edited by Lucas

You need info, I've got it:

More on Claudia .. probably more than you need to know

http://www.ccfa.org/...eer-change.html

Hey Claudia we might have a cure for your Chrone's disease. You might be more relieved when you pull the stick out of your ass before you review rock bands.

you can quote me if you talk to her.

• Like 1

lol

stabbing at a show with a critic present...there's always hope.

lol

Anyways, I called the phone number today, and got a "This number is not in service" message ..

It seems as if Claudia's last article with the Star Ledger was back in Oct 2008 .. Here's a list of her "work" - it's mostly entertainment fluff, and if you told me she was 12 years old I wouldn't bat an eye

http://connect.nj.com/user/caperry/posts.html

Here's her mostly positive review of a Bon Jovi show .. Reading this was like listening to some non-descript kid talk about summer vacation for 15 minutes

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2008/07/bon_jovi_plays_the_great_lawn.html

As if it weren't already clear that it's the same Claudia Perry ((good work Magnum P.I!)), I showed my older bro [who cut the Rush concert review out of the newspaper] the Jeopardy link that Wil1972 provided previously. Big bro confirmed it was her with this reply:

"Yup. That's the be-yotch who was the music critic who didn't appreciate music. Bad job placement"

:LOL:

• Like 2

lol

http://connect.nj.co...erry/posts.html

http://www.nj.com/en...great_lawn.html

As if it weren't already clear that it's the same Claudia Perry ((good work Magnum P.I!)), I showed my older bro [who cut the Rush concert review out of the newspaper] the Jeopardy link that Wil1972 provided previously. Big bro confirmed it was her with this reply:

"Yup. That's the be-yotch who was the music critic who didn't appreciate music. Bad job placement"

:LOL:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/f8/f8cdb441a116656b31cc25b9c88632ed9ad063f3c84fc9ebfc9ca592b9f8c0fd.jpg

• Like 2

There was a woman on 500 Questions last night that was named Claudia Perry, who was on the RRHOF nominating committee. She was a very strange person. Could be the same one.

She was also terrible on the show; she lost every battle.

Edited by laughedatbytime