The Jelly Jam

Platypus! I knew I had more experience with this band (Platypus being Jelly Jam minus Derek Sherinian). I've spent much more time with those couple Platypus records, which IMO is basically the same band/sound. Seeing a post elsewhere reminded me of this.

You got it backwards! Actually Jelly Jam is Platypus minus Derek Sherinian.

I suppose his absence is inferred in the Jelly Jam lineup, so yes you are correct! ;)

Should have said "Jelly Jam is Platypus sans Derek".

Edited by stoopid

My pile of new material to enjoy is immense right now so I'm forced to move on, but a good 10 listens to the album and I will be revisiting (most definitely before the show).

Now I need to find some Platypus, as I no longer seem to have the discs! :(

I'll be seeing them tomorrow night at Havana's in New Hope PA. I'll be wearing my RUSH t shirt. If anyone is going and sees this stop by our table or if you see me where the band is say hello. I'll be the tall bald guy with glasses wearing a RUSH t shirt.
  • Like 1

I'll be seeing them tomorrow night at Havana's in New Hope PA. I'll be wearing my RUSH t shirt. If anyone is going and sees this stop by our table or if you see me where the band is say hello. I'll be the tall bald guy with glasses wearing a RUSH t shirt.

I would have been there if not for a family party. I go to Havana's a lot for shows. It really killed me to miss this one since I was looking forward to it the day it was announced. How was the meet and greet? John Myung say anything? I have a few more chances I guess if I want to drive and lose some sleep so I'm currently weighing my options.

Just curious: what's the capacity of the venues these guys are playing at?

Well, there was maybe 80-100 people there last night. It could have been a little less(I doubt there was more than 100 though). I would say that is probably average.

I would have been there if not for a family party. I go to Havana's a lot for shows. It really killed me to miss this one since I was looking forward to it the day it was announced. How was the meet and greet? John Myung say anything? I have a few more chances I guess if I want to drive and lose some sleep so I'm currently weighing my options.

This was only my second show there. I actually didn't do the meet and greet but spoke to some people who were waiting in line. Jerry Glasskill(the drummer for King's X)was in attendance and I (and the group I was with)ran into him after the show on the sidewalk. I shook his hand. I typically don't go out of my way to meet the musicians anymore but if it happens by chance(like with Jerry)I'm ok with it. There are some good bands/artists coming up at Havanas such as Daryl Steurmer(Genesis' old touring guitarist), Brand X, Terry Bozzio and Santana and Kansas tribute bands among others.

The show itself was pretty great though. I saw DT once(open for Yes), Dixie Dregs once and King's X once so this is sort of like seeing them all in one place. They jammed out a lot. It was good to see a bunch of people who know what prog is(even if they don't have any seventies Yes albums. LOL)and also talk to a bunch of RUSH fans. I was wearing my RUSH t shirt. The weird thing is the band never played live before but you would never know it unless they mentioned it(which they did). They were very tight. Great performance.

Edited by New_World_Man

This was only my second show there. I actually didn't do the meet and greet but spoke to some people who were waiting in line. Jerry Glasskill(the drummer for King's X)was in attendance and I (and the group I was with)ran into him after the show on the sidewalk. I shook his hand. I typically don't go out of my way to meet the musicians anymore but if it happens by chance(like with Jerry)I'm ok with it. There are some good bands/artists coming up at Havanas such as Daryl Steurmer(Genesis' old touring guitarist), Brand X, Terry Bozzio and Santana and Kansas tribute bands among others.

The show itself was pretty great though. I saw DT once(open for Yes), Dixie Dregs once and King's X once so this is sort of like seeing them all in one place. They jammed out a lot. It was good to see a bunch of people who know what prog is(even if they don't have any seventies Yes albums. LOL)and also talk to a bunch of RUSH fans. I was wearing my RUSH t shirt. The weird thing is the band never played live before but you would never know it unless they mentioned it(which they did). They were very tight. Great performance.

I've been to a bunch of shows there. Last one was for Stickmen. Or maybe it was Stu Hamm.

I knew about Bozzio, but I didn't know about Brand X and Steurmer.

Hmm...I'll see if I can hike it to Newton on Friday then. It was their first tour ever so I'm dying to see them. I knew they would kick ass live.

I was there, didn't even know about them at all, but my friend (also a huge Rush fan) told me about it Saturday afternoon, and I love DT and have listened to some Kings X, so I was like sure, why not. And they were really good!
  • Like 2

I'll tell you what bothers me in their sound and prevents me from digging deeper into their catalogue: the vocals have that Steven Wilson dullness...but I have a feeling that I'd like them live.

It turns out they're playing at The Rockpile in September...I wanna go!!! Any takers?

My choice is between them, The Fixx and a camping trip on the same August evening though I think the camping trip is a distant third.

It turns out they're playing at The Rockpile in September...I wanna go!!! Any takers?

My choice is between them, The Fixx and a camping trip on the same August evening though I think the camping trip is a distant third.

Let's go!!!!

• Like 1

So the show is THIS Friday...I went to the same venue last Saturday and saw Greg Howe with Stu Hamm. It´s a small place, but I´ve been enjoying more shows of this stature rather than massive arenas. I´ll be there, for sure!!!
  • Like 2

So the show is THIS Friday...I went to the same venue last Saturday and saw Greg Howe with Stu Hamm. It´s a small place, but I´ve been enjoying more shows of this stature rather than massive arenas. I´ll be there, for sure!!!

Let us know how it is.

My Howe/Hamm show sold out before I could get tickets and I had to eat my Jelly Jam ticket because my brake line blew up on the way to the show which means my Stick Men show is on life.support. C'est La Vie.

Fortunately, the next gig I really want to see isn't until October.

Let us know how it is.

My Howe/Hamm show sold out before I could get tickets and I had to eat my Jelly Jam ticket because my brake line blew up on the way to the show which means my Stick Men show is on life.support. C'est La Vie.

Oh no!!! I was hoping for another TRF meetup...who are you seeing in October?

I got the Jelly Jam setlist going on full blast today...this show will be awesome!!

Edited by Rod in Toronto
  • Like 1

Let us know how it is.

Oh no!!! I was hoping for another TRF meetup...who are you seeing in October?

I got the Jelly Jam setlist going on full blast today...this show will be awesome!!

Seeing the Alex Skolnick Trio.

They played not too far from me last weekend but sadly circumstances prevented me from going to see them. : (

Alice In Chains were inspired by Kings X so...no surprises the various different groups have crossover appeal!
  • Like 1

Great stuff!

I prefer the first album to the second.

You should check out Ty's other side project, Platypus.

They released two albums, "Platypus" and "When Pus Comes to Shove".

Platypus consists of...Ty Tabor, John Myung, Derek Sherinian & Rod Morgenstein.

So this band has an extra dude than Jelly Jam. How different can they be?
  • Like 1